PDA

View Full Version : Is This Useful?

ironhat
05-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Hey there, folks.
As you can see, I'm not the most prolific of posters and I haven't been here in some time. This is all due to a few serious health and intractable pain issues. So, you get the point. I'm a guy who can't stand any longer than 20-30 minutes before resting for 15 min or more, and sometimes that doesn't settle it down for the rest of the day.
That said, I have to do things in a time-efficient manner and don't wish to waste time on gadgets that don't save time or effort. Looking through Midway's site I came across the Lyman Gas Check Seater ( http://tinyurl.com/cjh4vok ). Reviews are middle of the road and I was wondering a couple of things; 1) Is it a gadget that's looking for, at best, an occasional problem? 2) Does it add an additional pass through the sizer when GC addition is already built-into a stroke already in progress? 3) Will this expedite the lube / size process?
OK, that's it from this lurker - naa, I wasn't even lurking. I just want to get up and running while spring is here because of the heat. The meds have made me heat and sun sensitive to boot! NOW, I'm done whining!

Later,
Chiz

MT Chambers
05-01-2013, 08:34 AM
For me, that gas check seater or the special dies made to seat checks are only necessary when you can't initially handseat the checks square, usually because the shank is slightly too big for the check to be hand seated.

ironhat
05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the answer, MT. I'll steer clear until I have need for it.
Again, thanks!
Chiz

beagle
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Or, you can make one by splitting a piece of tubing. All it does is limit the downward movement of the center plunger in the sizing die so that you can put seating pressure on the GC./beagle

ironhat
05-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Thank-you too, Beagle. I guess I'll have to measure where this is supposed to fit in and reason out how far the ram needs for travel in order to seat the GC.
Thanks again,
Chiz

Taylor
05-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Waste of metal and the time to make it.

gwpercle
05-01-2013, 08:22 PM
I have a Lyman 450 lube / sizer and have never needed any special tool to seat a gas check on bullets. Push the check on base, if check is too large for tight fit just sit check in hole , put bullet on top and lower handle.
I wouldn't get it unless you have a problem with seating them as instructed in the owner's manual.
Gary

ironhat
05-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Yea, let common sense be my guide, right? I just want to have all my ducks in a row for when the day comes that I feel like I can do something at the pot - heck, it's second hand and brand new after I reported a leaky valve to Lyman!
Later,
Chiz

waksupi
05-01-2013, 11:54 PM
I've had one for about 35 years. Never have used it.

Wayne Smith
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM

Ric, you've got me beat by about 10 years. I think I used it once out of curiosity.

ironhat
05-02-2013, 06:22 PM
What the heck are you guys doing with something you never used? Did you guys buy a used Lubrasizer and that thing came with it? I bought mine well used and didn't get one - where do I apply?!:-|:grin:

detox
05-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Can i have it?

The Lyman gas check seater works verygood with gas checks that have tight fit. It is included with the Lyman lube sizer.