PDA

View Full Version : revolver brass too bulgy

Whiterabbit
04-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi guys,

I reload 460 S&W for a BFR and an X-frame. The X-frame has tight chambers, the BFR is loosey goosey. I don't often shoot big pressure in the BFR but when i do it expands the "base" of the brass. you know, about 1/4" up from the base fits the chamber just like the neck.

Well, sometimes it makes it hard to chamber in the X-frame. If I don't FL resize, it won't fit at all.

Bottom line, the resizing die doesnt size low enough.

I'm not going to take off .1" off the bottom of the resize die.

Are there any options? known 45 colt, 454 cas, or 460 dies that size very low on the case? a nice form die that I can use after FL sizing to size that last bit at the base?

I'll Make Mine
04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
You're looking for a revolver version of a "small base" die -- you can probably find one in .45 Colt, and if you pull all the decapping parts out it should work for your .460 S&W cases.

An alternate that wouldn't require buying any dies is to use a "way too small" (say, .223 size) or simple flat top shell holder with the case sitting on top to push your .460 cases that little bit further into your existing sizing die (again, with all the decapping parts removed), then use a rod, sized as just a drop-in fit to the case web, inserted from the top to push/drive the case back out of the die. Don't forget to lube the cases (assuming your sizing die doesn't have a carbide ring).

Mike Kerr
05-01-2013, 12:40 AM
" I'll Make Mine"s" suggestions about a "small base die" should work. The shell holder "shim method" has worked but it's painfully slow. I have segregated the brass when I have two firearms of the same caliber with noticeably different chamber dimensions. Hope that helps.

regards,

:-) :-) :-)

runfiverun
05-01-2013, 01:13 AM
grind the shell holder down and screw the die in the press a little deeper.

Whiterabbit
05-01-2013, 01:35 AM
grind the shell holder down and screw the die in the press a little deeper.

case stops more than 1/8" from being fully seated. I'm not sure that'll be enough?

I should qualify fully seated, too. I can get it to chamber, just takes some thumb pressure. after firing, they'll slide right out. But without firing, they don't extract easy.

gunoil
05-01-2013, 07:58 AM
yep laithe and mill press. Easiest!

How bout a lee bulge buster kit?

bobthenailer
05-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I have run into the same problem with once fired 454 brass from another brand of revolver ,I have FA revolver.
After being sized with the normal thickness shell holder, i removed some metal from the top of a spare shell holder so the case would enter the die further after adjusting the die down lower to remove the bulge .

mdi
05-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Jes wonderin', you said "If I don't FL resize, it won't fit at all". Are you not full length sizing anyway? I'm not familiar with the 460 (but I'm assuming it's a straight walled revolver round), but have been reloading .44 Magnums for 25+ years and all my magnum ammo gets full length sized...

jes wonnerin'

HeavyMetal
05-01-2013, 04:03 PM
CAUTION:
driving case's out of a carbide sizing die can result in the carbide ring being remnoved from the die with the case still attached!

Guess how I know this,LOL!

Best approach is to segragate brass for each gun and buy a sizer die specific to the BFR

Whiterabbit
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Jes wonderin', you said "If I don't FL resize, it won't fit at all". Are you not full length sizing anyway? I'm not familiar with the 460 (but I'm assuming it's a straight walled revolver round), but have been reloading .44 Magnums for 25+ years and all my magnum ammo gets full length sized...

jes wonnerin'

For awhile I was sizing down just half the case and left the bottom half "as fired". they slip right in and fire wonderfully well from the BFR. But wherever I stop sizing, they get hung up in a S&W X-frame.

remy3424
05-02-2013, 09:15 AM
wherever I stop sizing, they get hung up in a S&W X-frame. they just need to be sized all the way into the die, as run5run said, I would also try machining down a shell holder if running the cases completely into the sizer doesn't get the case resized. Guess I have never tried partial resizing (neck sizing) of handgun cases....it makes rifle cases more accurate but I would be able to tell a difference with a handgun... quite sure of that!

Whiterabbit
05-02-2013, 11:16 AM
they just need to be sized all the way into the die, as run5run said, I would also try machining down a shell holder if running the cases completely into the sizer doesn't get the case resized.

If I size all the way to the shellholder they start to get a bit sticky about 1/8" from being fully seated.

Do you think there's enough meat to be taken off the shellholder to get me there?

wallenba
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I've got a similar problem with my 77/357 Ruger. A slight portion of the case near the bottom bulges. The ramp is cut slightly into the chamber a bit. I use a Lee FL die with the decapper removed. Then set the rim of the case on top of a shellholder smaller than the 357. With the case lubed (even with the carbide die) I push it all the way into the die, Then with a short section of 1/4" oak dowel inserted in the top of the die, I tap it out. So far, the carbide insert has not moved, but that is a possibility.

454PB
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Something to consider......

Are you sure it's the case being "oversized", or could it be that the boolits are not clearing the throats?

I've had similar problems with two of my .454 Casulls.....the throats are tighter on my FA than they are on my Taurus RB. a boolit sized .453" will fit the Taurus, but acts just as you described when that same round is inserted in the FA.