PDA

View Full Version : Handgun range brass for "Pearl of Wisdom" (ALL WELCOME)

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
In my relatively short period of time here I have been helped by many of the members in knowledge, time, and goods, but four have helped me above and beyond. With that said, I want to honor their help/assistance and offer 100 (mixed head stamp) range pick up brass of your choosing (from 380, 9mm, 40, 45ACP LP, or 38 SPC) to three (3) people. If you are wondering…What, you said four people helped you and now it is three? My answer is that I have already given away some through this site earlier (in honor of one of the four) and I would like to do it in honor of those four in particular.

There is a catch and the rules go like this:
1) You do not have to have a need for it, but just a want (so even if you have plenty but just want a little more).
2) Like I said, EVERYONE is welcome to contribute/post and I don’t care if you are going to use the brass, give it way, swage it, or anything because it is yours.
3) You must post a “Pearl of Wisdom” below. The “Pearl” should be something that either a new reloader or caster should know before they start. I don’t care if it is information, a site for purchasing something, a lessons learned, great place to get lead, or anything that would help the newer reloaders/casters in any way.
4) There is no limit on the number of posts/”Pearls” so the more the better.
5) I will pick three (3) of the posts that I found the most interesting (mind you I have done a ton of reading for over a year, so you might have better luck with something out of the box) on Monday, May 6th and PM you for your address to send the brass to.
6) Brass will be shipped on my dime (cheapest way), so it is absolutely free to you.

I know 100 brass isn’t going to give you a long day of shooting, but it could be a small start or something to top off a pile.

I think I covered everything, but let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Dave

UPDATE: Thanks to Grump there will be one more winner and one bundle of “100 .30-06 LC type cases” are available. On Monday Grump will contact me with his top choice (and maybe more if I can talk him into it) and then I will send out PMs to the winners. The first winner that responds that they want the .30-06 (via PM to me) will get them sent directly from Grump to them. The other three will have their choice of the handgun range brass listed above. I have enough that even if the remaining three pick the caliber I have enough to spare. I think that covers the new stuff, so let me know if you have any questions. Thanks Grump for joining the fun and offering up this added brass.

UPDATE #2:Hopefully I didn't miss anyone but I broke them into three groups even though some might apply to multiple sections (listed on page 3).

This is how it will work from here: I will wait for Grump to contact me with his choice and then I will contact the four winners through a PM to get their address and chosen brass. Just as a reminder, there is one .30-06 available, so the first of the winners that PM me back with their address and asking for the .30-06 will get them sent directly from Grump. The other three can choose from any of the handgun brass listed in the OP and I have enough of all of the calibers, so even if those three pick the same it will work. With that said, if you want the .30-06, please return my PM identifying you as a winner saying that you want the .30-06, but also a handgun caliber as your second choice in case you aren’t the first one. Also, I will wait for a winner’s response for 24 hours and then I will move to the next one on the list. I will continue this until the four bundles of brass are accounted for.

I think I covered everything but in case I missed something please PM me.

Thank you to everyone that posted these Pearls.

Dave

LAST UPDATE: I guess I forgot to state that all four that were selected got their brass but I left this thread open as a place to add to over time. Thanks to everyone that has posted to, or even read, this thread.

nagantguy
04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
I really like what your doing here. I to have been helped by members of this site and by the knowledge here. I don't or need anything but will add a pearl you decide if its wisdom. Write everything down, everything length charge seating depth date components and label everything. It will ensure safety and keep you from back tracking. And one day when you are gone others can be safe and sure in using " granddads" home rolled boolits.

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 02:04 PM
I really like what your doing here. I to have been helped by members of this site and by the knowledge here. I don't or need anything but will add a pearl you decide if its wisdom. Write everything down, everything length charge seating depth date components and label everything. It will ensure safety and keep you from back tracking. And one day when you are gone others can be safe and sure in using " granddads" home rolled boolits.

I think that is excellent and sound advice. Thanks.

Love Life
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
If using the stainless steel cleaniing method and cold water you must ENSURE ALL CASE LUBE IS OFF OF THE BRASS BEFORE CLEANING. If you don't all of your brass will come out with a nice grey lube/grim finish, your pins will have a nice grey lube/grime finish, and the inside of your drum will have a nice grey lube/grime finish. It will require the use of very hot water, green scrubby pads, and a bunch of soap to clean everything up. Oh, and it will include an angry wife looking over your should as you fill up several buckets of hot water from the bath tub, and spill a little on the carpet on the way out to the garage...

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Love Life,

That's not from personal experience is it? I think your wife and mine must be related or something. Lol

On a serious note: Thanks for the "Pearl" and don't forget to list the caliber. This is for EVERYONE. Personally, I see it as the "Newbies" (like me) get the information, and the veterans get a small incentive to share their knowledge. Plus, the selfish side of me gets to give back.

Thanks.
Dave

Fishman
04-30-2013, 02:25 PM
I am not looking for any brass at this time but I wanted to say this is a classy post.

I'll throw in a few pearls of wisdom anyway though.

1) Don't cast naked. Cover any part of you that you can't afford to lose. That is why I always wear underwear. :)
2) Pick up every single unattended brass you see at the range, you never know when it might come in handy! I'm digging out and using brass I picked up 20 years ago. The same can be said about lead too.
3) Expensive and best isn't always necessary. You can have a ton of fun with repurposed melting equipment and a lee mould.
4) Don't get caught up in brand loyalty wars. Good is good and bad is bad, no matter who made it.

Ok, I have to go back to work.

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I am not looking for any brass at this time but I wanted to say this is a classy post.

I'll throw in a few pearls of wisdom anyway though.

1) Don't cast naked. Cover any part of you that you can't afford to lose. That is why I always wear underwear. :)
2) Pick up every single unattended brass you see at the range, you never know when it might come in handy! I'm digging out and using brass I picked up 20 years ago. The same can be said about lead too.
3) Expensive and best isn't always necessary. You can have a ton of fun with repurposed melting equipment and a lee mould.
4) Don't get caught up in brand loyalty wars. Good is good and bad is bad, no matter who made it.

Ok, I have to go back to work.

Fishman,

I'm glad you listed #1, because...well, I guess the cops would get called on me either way. I guess that is out for a few reasons (safety being one of them). I like the others also. Great advice.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but...you are one of the four, so thank you for your help.

Thanks.
Dave

Love Life
04-30-2013, 02:34 PM
True story, but please pass the brass off to someone else who may need it.

gcsteve
04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks Dave for starting this thread; its a fantastic idea, and I hope you can compile it somehow. As this is intended to be a source for new reloaders and casters, I'll throw this general but important stuff out there for consumption:

Do not trust a single source for load recipes when you are working up a new load. People make mistakes, and they can end up getting posted and published. Get at least two highly rated sources and make sure they are comparable to each other before you load them up. Also, start your load work-ups at the low end with just three or four rounds, and work your way up, checking for pressure signs and accuracy. Never exceed max published loads. Check and double check everything as you learn. Never skip steps and checks just to save time.

Shoot safe and have fun.

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
This is some great stuff.

I have made one minor change to the "rules". You no longer have to say your caliber as I will ask you when I PM you, if your comment is selected.

Like I said, this brass is not for a need, but for a want. There is a difference. If you are a reloader that is set with brass, and I select your response, then just tell me a caliber that your protégé, or son, or daughter, or grandkid reloads. There really is no need to turn it down as it is all about want, giving back, and passing-it-on.

Thanks.
Dave

jld_in_IA
04-30-2013, 04:51 PM
As a relatively new caster, I'll put down some of the most important lessons I've picked up.

1. Smelting lead is an outdoors operation. I don't care how good your ventilation is, it probably isn't better than out in the open air, and air is something we definitely need if we intend to keep casting.
2. Make sure the lead you are smelting is dry. I know there are a number of special cases to this rule, and not every infraction will get you a visit from the tinsel ferry, but let's just be on the safe side here.
When you start pouring boolits and discover they don't come out right, I find there are three good things to check.
- Make sure you have pre-heated the mold thoroughly. A cold mold will cause under-sized or wrinkled boolits.
- Make sure your mold is clean. If there is any doubt, clean it again. If it has been sitting a while, clean it anyway. I've never heard of a mold being too clean.
- Know your casting temperature. If you haven't already, make the investment in a lead thermometer. This will allow you to add awareness and consistency to your casting.

Just a few suggestions, and certainly not complete. These are just a few of the more memorable mistakes I've made and maybe learned from.

s1120
04-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Well I do have a little stash that my Dad left me... but can always use a little extra 38spc brass!

As for pearls... well Im a newbe, but I do have some advice for those starting out... maybe not pearls..I think more common sense...

Starting out... well you dont need to wait to you have a large stash of cash to get loading... buy what you can, when you have the extra money. More now that supply is tight..Its easy to get discureged... but every little thing, is one step closer to the goal of loading [or casting]

DONT FORCE IT!!! if you loading something, or doing anything in the process, and its not realy working or fitting... step back...and think. Dont yank on that handle harder.. dont brake out the hammer... stop and think first. You will find the problem.

This goes back to the last one... but if things dont seem right...or you got confused...or something seems off... STOP! step back, and think... go back a few steps, and dont be afraid to pull a few bullets to make sure all is well.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
04-30-2013, 05:01 PM
1. You will not remember your own "pet loads," if you don't write them down, you will have to work up the load again.

2. Rhythm and speed are different, rhythm gets things done efficiently, speed can put a decapping pin through a finger nail.

3. Very early on I learned that there is a difference between having a beer or 2 while reloading, and reloading drunk, in my defense, I did a bulk reload and sat reloading for over 5 hours, and the beer or 2 I intended to have turned into 7 over that time, I'm lucky I only left myself a nice mess to clean up.

4. I too met someone here that I has enriched my life in a way I wouldn't have expected, so always have an open mind, and if someone asks if you want to have a cup of coffee, make the time.

dragonrider
04-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Great idea, I like it

Love Life
04-30-2013, 06:14 PM
1. You will not remember your own "pet loads," if you don't write them down, you will have to work up the load again.

So true...

BwBrown
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
It has been nearly 50 years since I stuffed and hammered on that first 32 Winchester Special Cartridge.
For what they are worth, here a a handful of "pearls" - or useless rock - you decide.

1) For smelting or reclaiming bulk lead from pipe, or wheel weights, or whatever, I work outside on concrete. Blacktop will succumb to spilt hot lead, grass and leaves will burn. Using the burner from one of those turkey fryer outfits and a bottle of LP gas, I heat things up in a (gasp!) heavy aluminum pressure cooker - NO LID - just a cover of foil to keep the heat in. I have never has a problem of contamination from the aluminum. Keeps the big mess outdoors.

2) When bulk smelting, I use a system of molds. I use Lyman ingots for wheel weights. I use a Saeco ingot mold for linotype. I use an iron corn cob mold for reclaimed range lead, and small muffins for pure lead. Whatever your system, if you stick with it, you'll never have to scratch your head asking "I wonder what this is."

3) I cast bullets indoors, out of the wind and in the comfort of a heated space. A VENTED range hood overhead and aluminum side panels send nearly, if not all, of the fumes outside. Offers pretty good lighting as well.

4) Not too many years ago, I picked up a Lyman Tru-line press for each handgun caliber I load, and utilize a Lyman press plate mount. Set up is nearly instant, dies need no adjustment, the powder measure is pre-set. Short of a Dillon progressive outfit, it doesn't matter whether I need 25 or 250 shells - it is never too much - or too little - bother.

5) In storing supplies, other than primers in a separate cabinet: For each caliber, I have four shelves along the wall over my bench. All my brass, dies, projectiles, and in many cases powder are right there in front of me. Each caliber is segregated, there is little chance of mix-up.

6) My grandmother always told me that cleanliness is next to Godliness. While some might want to debate that, I will say that in the world of reloading, neatness and orderliness is directly proportional to safety. An organized uncluttered workbench is a safe workbench. Period.

7) Mark your powder! Never put yourself in a position where you are staring at a half a pound of powder in a measure asking - is this unique or bullseye or ?
I take a piece of note card, write the powder on it and slip it inside the clear powder measure tubes. The solid tubes get a piece of blue masking tape.

8) Make up a dummy load for each projectile you load, scratch the specs into the brass. Next time you need to set your seating die will take no time at all.

9) Never trust another's hand loads - and don't give your's away. And NEVER trust your own memory. If it isn't written down, you don't have it.

10) Finally, many of us use computers. Their memory is nearly as fallible as mine. Remember - if you do not have three copies of something (hard disk, backup, paper) you don't really have it at all.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
This is a great idea for a giveaway !

Here are a couple pearls of casting wisdom that I received here, that I treasure and have made most of my casting sessions successful.

1. No matter what some members post, The Alloy doesn't need to be super hot. About the time I joined the forum, Gearnasher posted that the alloy should be about 100º above liquidus. If the alloy has a lot of tin, a workable pouring temp could be as low as 600º. Anyway, get a alloy thermometer and find out your alloy liquidus temp (it goes from slushy to liquid).

2. Preheat the mold. I use a older hotplate I got from a thrift store, it is the open coil style, I put a used circle saw blade on it so the mold doesn't sit right on the coil. I also put a steel coffee can (with a slot cut in it, to accomodate for the handle) over the mold to hold the heat in and maintain a more constant temp.

Good Luck,
Jon

BrassMagnet
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
If you are starting out and you are buying factory ammo to shoot until you get enough brass to make reloading worthwhile, you will never get to reloading! Buy tools, brass, primers, powder, Get Coaching, and get started reloading.

Teamwork/Partners is a good way to afford the tools to start. I recommend not sharing ownership of a specific tool, but rather you buy some of the tools and your partner buys some of the tools so that together you have a reasonably complete set and can start saving immediately! Then you can add tools to add capability before you eventually head your separate ways with complete outfits.

Learn on someone else's equipment, with coaching, so you learn for free what equipment will allow you the production quantity and quality which will satisfy you so you don't ever need to upgrade to better or faster equipment.

Never worry about where the BrassMagnet finds his brass...unless you are on the same range he is!

PULSARNC
04-30-2013, 10:16 PM
For those of you who remember my post about my Weatherby Vanguard blowup from last fall here is my newest most inviolate pearl of wisdom NO Grandkids allowed in the reloading room while powder charging cases and seating boolits!!!!!! No Exceptions no not even once !Lock the door and ignore all distractions .

glw
04-30-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't need the brass, but here is something I have learned in reloading.

When selecting a load I use the following guidelines, where possible:
1) Select a load that can't be double charged (it would overflow the case). Using slower powders usually satisfies this guideline.
or
2) Select a load that would still be within pressure specs if it is double charged. Using smaller charges of fast powders like Bullseye that are still within specs even if double charged satisfies this second guideline. Why go with a large charge of a fast powder that can still be doubled in the case, and might be dangerous? For example, if a max charge of Bullseye is 6 grains, then 3 grains would be a good plinking load if it is an acceptable load for that cartridge.

I am not trying to find the perfect load, as I am not a good enough shot to benefit from it. Keeping it simple makes life easier, and following these two guidelines gives me peace of mind even if I make a mistake in loading.

koehlerrk
04-30-2013, 11:13 PM
If using the stainless steel cleaniing method and cold water you must ENSURE ALL CASE LUBE IS OFF OF THE BRASS BEFORE CLEANING. If you don't all of your brass will come out with a nice grey lube/grim finish, your pins will have a nice grey lube/grime finish, and the inside of your drum will have a nice grey lube/grime finish. It will require the use of very hot water, green scrubby pads, and a bunch of soap to clean everything up. Oh, and it will include an angry wife looking over your should as you fill up several buckets of hot water from the bath tub, and spill a little on the carpet on the way out to the garage...

Easy fix for this... add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each gallon of water before tumbling. It also makes the brass shine!

Other "pearls" I've had explained to me or have learned on my own...

1. Don't reload or cast when distracted. Distractions are very bad.
2. If you have lubed boolits that you're going to re-cast.... clean the lube off before putting them back in the pot. Don't do what I did and get visited by the tinsel fairy.
3. Wear a face mask when casting. Full face shields are cheap, eyes are expensive and they don't grow back.

NewbieDave007
04-30-2013, 11:56 PM
This is some great stuff. Thanks everyone. Keep it up.

vogironface
05-01-2013, 01:29 AM
This is a great idea. Here are some good leasons learned and a good idea that I am sure is not origional but has made my life easier.

1) When teaching someone to reload they should be taught on a single stage press. This way they learn better the basics as they see each step independantly from the others.

2) When using a digital scale allow it to warm up. No one likes working in the cold, especially your digital scale.

3) Shooting is fun. Reloading is even more fun. Casting and reloading is even funner (is that a word?) still. Casting and reloading and experimenting all the time with new stuff is even funnerist. The learning never stops.

Now for my tip for a new caster.

I found my aluminum muffin tins always getting beat up and bent. I eventually mounted them to a board by drilling holes in between the cups and using a washer and screws firmly attaching them. Now I can weight them down under a small amount of water to wet the board and after assuring there is absolutely no water in the cups can pour the ingots. When ready I easily flip them over without getting burned by using the slightly over-sized wood and without denting the pans. This also makes the very inexpensive from the thrift store muffin pans almost as durable as the cast iron versions. It has made my life much easier.

gmsharps
05-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Let someone that needs the brass have it :

Only have one can of powder at a time on your bench. Always empty the powder measure when you are finished loading for the day and put the powder can back in its palce.
Do not trust only one source for info. Always double check with a second source.
Do not trust your memory for anything always write it down.

gmsharps

Sensai
05-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Lead is heavy, it seems that melted lead is even heavier. :shock: Check your melting/smelting equipment for strength and stability before you start.

Don't get caught up in the faster is better syndrome. Start at or near published starting loads and go up in small increments until you either get worse groups or pressure signs. Just a note, but I almost always get worse groups before I get pressure signs. Remember that the objective is to get the best performance, not to burn the most powder!

If you're in a hurry, STOP!!!! Don't be in a hurry to make a mistake, you'll always have another chance to make one. :?

NewbieDave007
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM
This is some great stuff and I have learned a couple things through this and others have been reinforced. Thanks. Keep it coming. I can tell already that this is going to be hard to pick just three.

Springfield0612
05-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I started reloading about 5 years ago and took the sage advice of starting on a single stage press. The reasons are simple:
1) Feel each stage and learn and become an expert at each stage so you know when something goes wrong and how to fix it. This is very difficult to do for a new reloader starting on a progressive press. Once these skills are mastered you can transfer that knowledge over to a progressive and if you have any issues on a progressive you immediately know the issue. You need to crawl before you can walk, etc..
2) If you find that reloading is not for you, or you don't have the time to focus on it your not out hundreds or thousands of dollars.
3) If you cannot multitask reloading on a single stage you have no business even thinking about a progressive.
4) Because it takes more time to load rounds on a single stage you are more apt to take pride in that round and take a sense of ownership in it. You will be more likely to make that round count as you send it down range because you've put the time in to create it. You reload them slower so you shoot them slower, you become more accurate and proficent with them.
5) The most important reason to start on a single stage? Once you out grow it and move on to a turret or progressive, you hand it to a new reloader so they too can learn the correct ways to reload by crawling.
6) If the only information in a reloading manual that you plan on reading is the load data recipies, STOP! Sell all of your equipment and stick to buying factory ammo. Safety is paramount, if you make a mistake you can and will injure yourself or someone else. Take your time, do things right, but enjoy it and have fun!

I've recently upgraded to a progessive, and about every 20th round I look over longingly at my one remaining single stage press and ask myself do I really need this progressive? But the one single stage press I have left(the other is with a new reloader, who I had to talk out of blowing $500 on a Hornady Progressive that he had no business even considering), I've got my kid(s) using to de-prime brass, and as they are sitting next to me working hard I'm teaching them the other aspects of reloading and just having good quality time with them!

7) Karma works! The amount and type of energy you put out into the world comes back to you!

scarry scarney
05-01-2013, 05:14 PM
(I dont need the brass)
To go with only having one can of powder on the Bench, write the powder name on masking tape, and tape it to the powder measure. Check the the weight of the powder coming out of the powder measure every so often.

When casting, and using marvelox as flux, SLOWLY add the marvelox, or the Tinsel Fairy might come visiting, and ALWAYS wear safety goggles.

MBTcustom
05-01-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't need any brass.

As a new caster, I have a few pearls:

1. For the first year or two, write down exactly what you loaded, and everything you observed in the process. Include as much information as possible. I'm not talking about writing a book, but burn half a paige recording everything you observed when loading, and use the second half of the paige to record what you observe while shooting those loads. What did you see? Smell? Hear? Measure? Feel? Suspect? Write it down.
This has the added benefit that if you have a kaboom, you can decipher what went wrong from your notes. This advice was given to me by my father and I still have an old notebook that has about 100 entries of the same load for my 30-30. It didn't matter. It's just good record keeping.

2. Fit. The boolit must be .001-.002 over groove diameter (BTW, groove diameter is not written on the side of your gun; you need to slug your barrel to find out.) during he reloading process, ask yourself if the boolit is still the same size constantly.
So you cast up your boolits and they are the right size?
You put them up of a year. Are they the same size?
You sized them. Are they still big enough?
You lubed them. Are they still big enough?
You loaded them in the brass. Are they still big enough?
You crimped the brass. Are they still big enough?
They rode in the magazine while the previouse 3 were shot. Are they still big enough?
They went through the front of the cylinder before entering the barrel. Are they still big enough?
They made it past the first 1/2" of the barrel. Are they still big enough?
They made it past the crown of the barrel, and leaded your gun. Are you absolutely SURE they were big enough?
You get the picture.

3. If at any time you get a funny feeling that there is something wrong with batch of ammo that you loaded. Pull every single one of them. Don't argue with me, just do it. Time will only kill you eventually. Not wasting time by making sure of your loads, will kill you awfull sudden like.
Buy a hammer bullet puller and use it when you're not sure about your loads.

Bored1
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
I don't have any "pearls" for reloading yet, haven't been doing it near long enough. However I do have some on acquiring some items.

1)Let everyone you come into contact with regularly know you are looking for anything to do with scrap lead, brass, and reloading items. You will score a TON of things you didn't even know you wanted this way.

2)The best place to find wheel weights are generally anywhere that deals with semi trucks. Truck repair shops and truck stations being the best of the best. DO NOT CALL. For some reason they will tell you NO on the phone, but take 15$ @ the same shop for 2 buckets if you show up and ask. Plus sorting 2-8oz weights goes ALOT faster than the smaller car weights.

3)Drink lots of coffee when it is offered!!! You will learn more over a cup of coffee than reading whatever books you can find. Real world experience will take you further starting than trying to picture something you've never seen from a written page in a book.

Chilmonty
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Best "Pearl of Wisdom" I think I ever got:

"If you don't VOTE like a gun owner, your an A**hole!"

JMO

NewbieDave007
05-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Best "Pearl of Wisdom" I think I ever got:

"If you don't VOTE like a gun owner, your an A**hole!"

JMO

Lol. Don't forget to cite your quote. Lol

NewbieDave007
05-01-2013, 09:06 PM
These are some great "Pearls". On a side note, three of the people that have helped me have also listed "Pearls" here for everyone. This is a great forum with very helpful people on it. I only have one problem though, I'm addicted and find myself jumping on when I have plenty of other things I should be doing. Keep them coming and thanks for everyone that has already posted.

Dave

Cag40Navy
05-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I do have a couple of pearls for greenhorns like me... I do hope these help.

1) Listen to those who have been doing this for longer than you have been alive. I promise you, they know more and every time (for the most part) they have given me advice, it has made a huge difference in the way I look or do certain things.

2) Always seek advice. This will be a huge help to you.

3) Keep notes on said advice. You never know when you will need that tidbit again...

4) and finally, and has been said a few times, never turn down coffee.

country gent
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
While Im not in need of anything heres a couple more to add to your list.
Not only label your handloads but keep a 3 ring binder with all information dates and lot numbers also any recipes techniques or procedures you used. This save you repeating the same things and allows you to duplicate what has worked.
Pass along your knowledge to other newcomers help them to get started easily and safely.
Keep a detailed record of firearms ( serial numbers descriptions modifications), equipment ( shooting reloading casting) on a couple discs for insurance reasons Pics are good to have also. Make 3 discs store one at home one at work and one at a friends or family. Makes claims with insurance or keeping track of what you have much easier.
Always try to enjoy what you are doing dont get so serious it no longer becomes fun. Take time to say hi to other on the range.

NewbieDave007
05-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Just a few more days. Thank you to everyone who has already posted.

shaper
05-02-2013, 11:40 PM
I could use some brass. I haven't cast a bullet yet, or loaded one. I'm still reading books and all the posts I can find on this site. There is so much information on this site one person cannot remember all of the good ideas. Would like to find a "Reloading 101" instruction book, if such a thing does exist. I have two items to share,
1. If you are new here, read every post.
2. I found that a metal recycling yard will sell any kind of lead they have at a very good price.

Grump
05-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Um can I ADD to the brass to be shipped to the illustrious winners? All of your listed calibers.

Oh, and put 100 .30-06 LC type cases into the pot too. Pick one more winner, and let them know that's on the menu.

My pearls, near-randomly selected at imperfect memory whim from what clues I caught since 1982...

For casting (and a lot of other things too), arrange the workspace so you have a place to safely back up, and always be aware of your escape route. Never had to use that one while casting, but have seen too many people trip up out of awkward spaces while doing car work or tossing pizzas in the oven and whatnot.

For reloading, velocity appropriate for the barrel length, powder and bullet is your best "pressure sign". The velocity/charge curve "flattens out" when you are above spec pressures. The brass is the weak part of the system, so respect those gaskets.

For both, PAY ATTENTION. And as stated by others, keep notes. I may add, keep them organized. The purpose of records and filing is not to have a place to put stuff, but to be able to FIND stuff after it's been put away.

For women, always try to understand her but don't despair when you don't, 'cause you probably never will. Fully at least. She feels the same way often enough too, so put more energy into listening than persuading. And don't underestimate empathy.

For yourself, you're not nearly as bad a person as you think, and not nearly as awesome as you imagine. There's a good way to not give a flip about what others think. Find it. Shun the bad way to not give a flip. Then you can serve and help and defend right and fight evil and do good without being compelled, maybe without being an A$$$$ about any of it.

orisolo
05-03-2013, 05:17 AM
I dont have any reloading pearls to write.
I can only write what I learned in the Mil.
It goes like:

What doesn't go with "Force"
goes with "More Force...".

What doesn't go with "More Force"
goes with a "Hammer.."

What doesn't go with a "Hammer"
goes with a "Brick of C4"

[smilie=w:

orisolo
05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
Oh yeh, I forgot this one:

"America is a Free country but so Expensive to leave in"

flounderman
05-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Here are several pieces I learned from 60+ years of reloading. Use a loading block and visually check the powder level in the charged cases. Buy a caliper. You can check case length and bullet diameter with it. As soon as you can afford it, buy a chronograph. Stick with the same powder as much as you can. Keep a record book. I haven't used a spray on case lubricant that is as good as rolling the case on a pad with a sizing lubricant. Don't try using 3 in 1 or wd 40, or the like. Seat rifle bullets to just clear the rifling. Seat a bullet a little long and chamber it. Observe the rifling marks and seat the bullet that much deeper. If a fired case will hold a jacked bullet, something isn't right. Case neck is too thick or case is too long. either one will raise pressures.

canyon-ghost
05-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Best advice I've ever recieved is: Save all the boxes and original instructions. Imagine trying to change micrometers on an expensive powder measure and NOT remembering how you did it last time! It helps to have the box and papers. Anything you buy for reloading or casting, keep the box and paperwork. Even optics, scopes, etc. and especially scales and powder equipment, dies, everything... everything. It does work wonders.

Brass not necessary, good thread.
Good Luck,
Ron

NewbieDave007
05-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Updated OP

dagunnut
05-04-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't need the brass but here are some more pearls of wisdom. Some of this is just common sense but people make mistakes. I started reloading and casting with my dad when I was 9 years old and I am 42 now.

Mark your boxes of reloads with the load data.
Never try to do more than one thing at a time.
If you are distracted don't try to reload.
Keep sharpies available to mark your containers for cast bullets, powders, resized brass, etc.
Reverify your load data, primer type, powder, charge weight or volume, and bullet type and weight.
Keep your reloading area clear of other items.
Get a system that works for you, a routine and stick to it so everything is consistant.
Don't cast in an area where you reload its hazardous (due to powder spills, dropped primers, etc.).
Oily rags, metal shavings, and saw dust do not mix (its a fire hazard).
Sweep do not vacume your reloading area and dispose of the debris safely.
Always wear your safety equipment when casting and reloading.
Take the time to explain the reloading process to others. Teach them how to do it. I took my nephew under my wing and showed him how to reload for his hunting rifle and shotgun. He shot his first ruffed grouse this year with one of his reloads and thats all he talked about for weeks. I have a Lee Load All set aside for him when I think he is ready.
There is always something to be learned from others.
Do not trust the internet for load data unless verifed against reliable multiple sources.
In your reload note book (I use a five section) keep a record of your available components, reloading equipment, and your reload records as well as the range reports with what firearm they were fired in. Highlight, fold, tag what ever you have to do in your reloading data books to mark sections that pertain to your calibers/reloads. I photocopy and tape up in my work area with my pet loads highlighted.

Thats all I got and I know that some of this has already been covered.
Mario
dagunnut

NewbieDave007
05-05-2013, 01:29 AM
Good stuff. One more full day and then whatever on Monday until I can sit down to decide. Keep it up.

NewbieDave007
05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Hopefully I didn't miss anyone but I broke them into three groups even though some might apply to multiple sections (listed in the following three posts).

This is how it will work from here: I will wait for Grump to contact me with his choice and then I will contact the four winners through a PM to get their address and chosen brass. Just as a reminder, there is one .30-06 available, so the first of the winners that PM me back with their address and asking for the .30-06 will get them sent directly from Grump. The other three can choose from any of the handgun brass listed in the OP and I have enough of all of the calibers, so even if those three pick the same it will work. With that said, if you want the .30-06, please return my PM identifying you as a winner saying that you want the .30-06, but also a handgun caliber as your second choice in case you aren’t the first one. Also, I will wait for a winner’s response for 24 hours and then I will move to the next one on the list. I will continue this until the four bundles of brass are accounted for.

I think I covered everything but in case I missed something please PM me.

Thank you to everyone that posted these Pearls.

Dave

NewbieDave007
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Reloading:
1) I really like what your doing here. I to have been helped by members of this site and by the knowledge here. I don't or need anything but will add a pearl you decide if its wisdom. Write everything down, everything length charge seating depth date components and label everything. It will ensure safety and keep you from back tracking. And one day when you are gone others can be safe and sure in using " granddads" home rolled boolits. (nagantguy)
2) If using the stainless steel cleaniing method and cold water you must ENSURE ALL CASE LUBE IS OFF OF THE BRASS BEFORE CLEANING. If you don't all of your brass will come out with a nice grey lube/grim finish, your pins will have a nice grey lube/grime finish, and the inside of your drum will have a nice grey lube/grime finish. It will require the use of very hot water, green scrubby pads, and a bunch of soap to clean everything up. Oh, and it will include an angry wife looking over your should as you fill up several buckets of hot water from the bath tub, and spill a little on the carpet on the way out to the garage… (Love Life)
a. Easy fix for this... add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to each gallon of water before tumbling. It also makes the brass shine! (koehlerrk)
3) Pick up every single unattended brass you see at the range, you never know when it might come in handy! I'm digging out and using brass I picked up 20 years ago. The same can be said about lead too. (Fishman)
4) Do not trust a single source for load recipes when you are working up a new load. People make mistakes, and they can end up getting posted and published. Get at least two highly rated sources and make sure they are comparable to each other before you load them up. Also, start your load work-ups at the low end with just three or four rounds, and work your way up, checking for pressure signs and accuracy. Never exceed max published loads. Check and double check everything as you learn. Never skip steps and checks just to save time. (gcsteve)
5) DONT FORCE IT!!! if you loading something, or doing anything in the process, and its not realy working or fitting... step back...and think. Dont yank on that handle harder.. dont brake out the hammer... stop and think first. You will find the problem. (s1120)
6) You will not remember your own "pet loads," if you don't write them down, you will have to work up the load again. (Nocturnal Stumblebutt)
7) Rhythm and speed are different, rhythm gets things done efficiently, speed can put a decapping pin through a finger nail. (Nocturnal Stumblebutt)
8) Very early on I learned that there is a difference between having a beer or 2 while reloading, and reloading drunk, in my defense, I did a bulk reload and sat reloading for over 5 hours, and the beer or 2 I intended to have turned into 7 over that time, I'm lucky I only left myself a nice mess to clean up. (Nocturnal Stumblebutt)
9) Not too many years ago, I picked up a Lyman Tru-line press for each handgun caliber I load, and utilize a Lyman press plate mount. Set up is nearly instant, dies need no adjustment, the powder measure is pre-set. Short of a Dillon progressive outfit, it doesn't matter whether I need 25 or 250 shells - it is never too much - or too little - bother. (BwBrown)
10) In storing supplies, other than primers in a separate cabinet: For each caliber, I have four shelves along the wall over my bench. All my brass, dies, projectiles, and in many cases powder are right there in front of me. Each caliber is segregated, there is little chance of mix-up. (BwBrown)
11) Mark your powder! Never put yourself in a position where you are staring at a half a pound of powder in a measure asking - is this unique or bullseye or ?
I take a piece of note card, write the powder on it and slip it inside the clear powder measure tubes. The solid tubes get a piece of blue masking tape. (BwBrown)
12) Make up a dummy load for each projectile you load, scratch the specs into the brass. Next time you need to set your seating die will take no time at all. (BwBrown)
13) Never trust another's hand loads - and don't give your's away. And NEVER trust your own memory. If it isn't written down, you don't have it. (BwBrown)
14) If you are starting out and you are buying factory ammo to shoot until you get enough brass to make reloading worthwhile, you will never get to reloading! Buy tools, brass, primers, powder, Get Coaching, and get started reloading. (BrassMagnet)
15) Never worry about where the BrassMagnet finds his brass...unless you are on the same range he is! (BrassMagnet)
16) For those of you who remember my post about my Weatherby Vanguard blowup from last fall here is my newest most inviolate pearl of wisdom NO Grandkids allowed in the reloading room while powder charging cases and seating boolits!!!!!! No Exceptions no not even once !Lock the door and ignore all distractions. (PULSARNC)
17) When selecting a load I use the following guidelines, where possible:
1) Select a load that can't be double charged (it would overflow the case). Using slower powders usually satisfies this guideline.
or
2) Select a load that would still be within pressure specs if it is double charged. Using smaller charges of fast powders like Bullseye that are still within specs even if double charged satisfies this second guideline. Why go with a large charge of a fast powder that can still be doubled in the case, and might be dangerous? For example, if a max charge of Bullseye is 6 grains, then 3 grains would be a good plinking load if it is an acceptable load for that cartridge.

I am not trying to find the perfect load, as I am not a good enough shot to benefit from it. Keeping it simple makes life easier, and following these two guidelines gives me peace of mind even if I make a mistake in loading. (glw)
18) When teaching someone to reload they should be taught on a single stage press. This way they learn better the basics as they see each step independantly from the others. (vogironface)
19) Only have one can of powder at a time on your bench. Always empty the powder measure when you are finished loading for the day and put the powder can back in its palce. (gmsharps)
20) Don't get caught up in the faster is better syndrome. Start at or near published starting loads and go up in small increments until you either get worse groups or pressure signs. Just a note, but I almost always get worse groups before I get pressure signs. Remember that the objective is to get the best performance, not to burn the most powder! (Sensai)
21) Feel each stage and learn and become an expert at each stage so you know when something goes wrong and how to fix it. This is very difficult to do for a new reloader starting on a progressive press. Once these skills are mastered you can transfer that knowledge over to a progressive and if you have any issues on a progressive you immediately know the issue. You need to crawl before you can walk, etc.. If you find that reloading is not for you, or you don't have the time to focus on it your not out hundreds or thousands of dollars. (Springfield0612)
22) If you cannot multitask reloading on a single stage you have no business even thinking about a progressive. (Springfield0612)
23) Because it takes more time to load rounds on a single stage you are more apt to take pride in that round and take a sense of ownership in it. You will be more likely to make that round count as you send it down range because you've put the time in to create it. You reload them slower so you shoot them slower, you become more accurate and proficent with them. (Springfield0612)
24) The most important reason to start on a single stage? Once you out grow it and move on to a turret or progressive, you hand it to a new reloader so they too can learn the correct ways to reload by crawling. (Springfield0612)
25) If the only information in a reloading manual that you plan on reading is the load data recipies, STOP! Sell all of your equipment and stick to buying factory ammo. Safety is paramount, if you make a mistake you can and will injure yourself or someone else. Take your time, do things right, but enjoy it and have fun! (Springfield0612)
26) To go with only having one can of powder on the Bench, write the powder name on masking tape, and tape it to the powder measure. Check the the weight of the powder coming out of the powder measure every so often. (scarry scarney)
27) For the first year or two, write down exactly what you loaded, and everything you observed in the process. Include as much information as possible. I'm not talking about writing a book, but burn half a paige recording everything you observed when loading, and use the second half of the paige to record what you observe while shooting those loads. What did you see? Smell? Hear? Measure? Feel? Suspect? Write it down.
This has the added benefit that if you have a kaboom, you can decipher what went wrong from your notes. This advice was given to me by my father and I still have an old notebook that has about 100 entries of the same load for my 30-30. It didn't matter. It's just good record keeping. (goodsteel)
28) If at any time you get a funny feeling that there is something wrong with batch of ammo that you loaded. Pull every single one of them. Don't argue with me, just do it. Time will only kill you eventually. Not wasting time by making sure of your loads, will kill you awfull sudden like.
Buy a hammer bullet puller and use it when you're not sure about your loads. (goodsteel)
29) Not only label your handloads but keep a 3 ring binder with all information dates and lot numbers also any recipes techniques or procedures you used. This save you repeating the same things and allows you to duplicate what has worked. (country gent)
30) For reloading, velocity appropriate for the barrel length, powder and bullet is your best "pressure sign". The velocity/charge curve "flattens out" when you are above spec pressures. The brass is the weak part of the system, so respect those gaskets. (Grump)
31) Use a loading block and visually check the powder level in the charged cases. (flounderman)
32) Buy a caliper. You can check case length and bullet diameter with it. (flounderman)
33) As soon as you can afford it, buy a chronograph. (flounderman)
34) Stick with the same powder as much as you can. (flounderman)
35) I haven't used a spray on case lubricant that is as good as rolling the case on a pad with a sizing lubricant. Don't try using 3 in 1 or wd 40, or the like. (flounderman)
36) Seat rifle bullets to just clear the rifling. Seat a bullet a little long and chamber it. Observe the rifling marks and seat the bullet that much deeper. (flounderman)
37) If a fired case will hold a jacked bullet, something isn't right. Case neck is too thick or case is too long. either one will raise pressures. (flounderman)
38) Mark your boxes of reloads with the load data. (dagunnut)
39) Reverify your load data, primer type, powder, charge weight or volume, and bullet type and weight. (dagunnut)
40) Keep your reloading area clear of other items. (dagunnut)
41) Take the time to explain the reloading process to others. Teach them how to do it. I took my nephew under my wing and showed him how to reload for his hunting rifle and shotgun. He shot his first ruffed grouse this year with one of his reloads and thats all he talked about for weeks. I have a Lee Load All set aside for him when I think he is ready. (dagunnut)
42) Do not trust the internet for load data unless verifed against reliable multiple sources. (dagunnut)
43) In your reload note book (I use a five section) keep a record of your available components, reloading equipment, and your reload records as well as the range reports with what firearm they were fired in. Highlight, fold, tag what ever you have to do in your reloading data books to mark sections that pertain to your calibers/reloads. I photocopy and tape up in my work area with my pet loads highlighted. (dagunnut)

NewbieDave007
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Casting:
1) Don't cast naked. Cover any part of you that you can't afford to lose. That is why I always wear underwear. (Fishman)
2) Expensive and best isn't always necessary. You can have a ton of fun with repurposed melting equipment and a lee mould. (Fishman)
3) Smelting lead is an outdoors operation. I don't care how good your ventilation is, it probably isn't better than out in the open air, and air is something we definitely need if we intend to keep casting. (jld in IA)
4) Make sure the lead you are smelting is dry. I know there are a number of special cases to this rule, and not every infraction will get you a visit from the tinsel ferry, but let's just be on the safe side here. (jld in IA)
5) When you start pouring boolits and discover they don't come out right, I find there are three good things to check.
a. - Make sure you have pre-heated the mold thoroughly. A cold mold will cause under-sized or wrinkled boolits.
b. - Make sure your mold is clean. If there is any doubt, clean it again. If it has been sitting a while, clean it anyway. I've never heard of a mold being too clean.
c. - Know your casting temperature. If you haven't already, make the investment in a lead thermometer. This will allow you to add awareness and consistency to your casting. (jld in IA)
6) For smelting or reclaiming bulk lead from pipe, or wheel weights, or whatever, I work outside on concrete. Blacktop will succumb to spilt hot lead, grass and leaves will burn. Using the burner from one of those turkey fryer outfits and a bottle of LP gas, I heat things up in a (gasp!) heavy aluminum pressure cooker - NO LID - just a cover of foil to keep the heat in. I have never has a problem of contamination from the aluminum. Keeps the big mess outdoors. (BwBrown)
7) When bulk smelting, I use a system of molds. I use Lyman ingots for wheel weights. I use a Saeco ingot mold for linotype. I use an iron corn cob mold for reclaimed range lead, and small muffins for pure lead. Whatever your system, if you stick with it, you'll never have to scratch your head asking "I wonder what this is." (BwBrown)
8) I cast bullets indoors, out of the wind and in the comfort of a heated space. A VENTED range hood overhead and aluminum side panels send nearly, if not all, of the fumes outside. Offers pretty good lighting as well. (BwBrown)
9) No matter what some members post, The Alloy doesn't need to be super hot. About the time I joined the forum, Gearnasher posted that the alloy should be about 100º above liquidus. If the alloy has a lot of tin, a workable pouring temp could be as low as 600º. Anyway, get a alloy thermometer and find out your alloy liquidus temp (it goes from slushy to liquid). (JonB in Glencoe)
10) Preheat the mold. I use a older hotplate I got from a thrift store, it is the open coil style, I put a used circle saw blade on it so the mold doesn't sit right on the coil. I also put a steel coffee can (with a slot cut in it, to accomodate for the handle) over the mold to hold the heat in and maintain a more constant temp. (JonB in Glencoe)
11) If you have lubed boolits that you're going to re-cast.... clean the lube off before putting them back in the pot. Don't do what I did and get visited by the tinsel fairy. (koehlerrk)
12) Wear a face mask when casting. Full face shields are cheap, eyes are expensive and they don't grow back. (koehlerrk)
13) I found my aluminum muffin tins always getting beat up and bent. I eventually mounted them to a board by drilling holes in between the cups and using a washer and screws firmly attaching them. Now I can weight them down under a small amount of water to wet the board and after assuring there is absolutely no water in the cups can pour the ingots. When ready I easily flip them over without getting burned by using the slightly over-sized wood and without denting the pans. This also makes the very inexpensive from the thrift store muffin pans almost as durable as the cast iron versions. It has made my life much easier. (vogironface)
14) Lead is heavy, it seems that melted lead is even heavier. Check your melting/smelting equipment for strength and stability before you start. (Sensai)
15) When casting, and using marvelox as flux, SLOWLY add the marvelox, or the Tinsel Fairy might come visiting, and ALWAYS wear safety goggles. (scarry scarney)
16) Fit. The boolit must be .001-.002 over groove diameter (BTW, groove diameter is not written on the side of your gun; you need to slug your barrel to find out.) during he reloading process, ask yourself if the boolit is still the same size constantly. So you cast up your boolits and they are the right size? You put them up of a year. Are they the same size? You sized them. Are they still big enough? You lubed them. Are they still big enough? You loaded them in the brass. Are they still big enough? You crimped the brass. Are they still big enough? They rode in the magazine while the previouse 3 were shot. Are they still big enough? They went through the front of the cylinder before entering the barrel. Are they still big enough? They made it past the first 1/2" of the barrel. Are they still big enough? They made it past the crown of the barrel, and leaded your gun. Are you absolutely SURE they were big enough? You get the picture. (goodsteel)
17) The best place to find wheel weights are generally anywhere that deals with semi trucks. Truck repair shops and truck stations being the best of the best. DO NOT CALL. For some reason they will tell you NO on the phone, but take 15$ @ the same shop for 2 buckets if you show up and ask. Plus sorting 2-8oz weights goes ALOT faster than the smaller car weights. (Bored1)
18) For casting (and a lot of other things too), arrange the workspace so you have a place to safely back up, and always be aware of your escape route. Never had to use that one while casting, but have seen too many people trip up out of awkward spaces while doing car work or tossing pizzas in the oven and whatnot. (Grump)
19) Don't cast in an area where you reload its hazardous (due to powder spills, dropped primers, etc.). Oily rags, metal shavings, and saw dust do not mix (its a fire hazard). Sweep do not vacume your reloading area and dispose of the debris safely. Always wear your safety equipment when casting and reloading. (dagunnut)

NewbieDave007
05-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Life/General:
1) Don't get caught up in brand loyalty wars. Good is good and bad is bad, no matter who made it. (Fishman)
2) Starting out... well you dont need to wait to you have a large stash of cash to get loading... buy what you can, when you have the extra money. More now that supply is tight..Its easy to get discureged... but every little thing, is one step closer to the goal of loading [or casting] (s1120)
3) I too met someone here that I has enriched my life in a way I wouldn't have expected, so always have an open mind, and if someone asks if you want to have a cup of coffee, make the time. (Nocturnal Stumblebutt)
4) My grandmother always told me that cleanliness is next to Godliness. While some might want to debate that, I will say that in the world of reloading, neatness and orderliness is directly proportional to safety. An organized uncluttered workbench is a safe workbench. Period. (BwBrown)
5) Finally, many of us use computers. Their memory is nearly as fallible as mine. Remember - if you do not have three copies of something (hard disk, backup, paper) you don't really have it at all. (BwBrown)
6) Teamwork/Partners is a good way to afford the tools to start. I recommend not sharing ownership of a specific tool, but rather you buy some of the tools and your partner buys some of the tools so that together you have a reasonably complete set and can start saving immediately! Then you can add tools to add capability before you eventually head your separate ways with complete outfits. (BrassMagnet)
7) Learn on someone else's equipment, with coaching, so you learn for free what equipment will allow you the production quantity and quality which will satisfy you so you don't ever need to upgrade to better or faster equipment. (BrassMagnet)
8) Don't reload or cast when distracted. Distractions are very bad. (koehlerrk)
9) When using a digital scale allow it to warm up. No one likes working in the cold, especially your digital scale. (vogironface)
10) Shooting is fun. Reloading is even more fun. Casting and reloading is even funner (is that a word?) still. Casting and reloading and experimenting all the time with new stuff is even funnerist. The learning never stops. (vogironface)
11) Do not trust only one source for info. Always double check with a second source. (gmsharps)
12) Do not trust your memory for anything always write it down. (gmsharps)
13) If you're in a hurry, STOP!!!! Don't be in a hurry to make a mistake, you'll always have another chance to make one. (Sensai)
14) Karma works! The amount and type of energy you put out into the world comes back to you! (Springfield0612)
15) Let everyone you come into contact with regularly know you are looking for anything to do with scrap lead, brass, and reloading items. You will score a TON of things you didn't even know you wanted this way. (Bored1)
16) Drink lots of coffee when it is offered!!! You will learn more over a cup of coffee than reading whatever books you can find. Real world experience will take you further starting than trying to picture something you've never seen from a written page in a book. (Bored1)
17) "If you don't VOTE like a gun owner, your an A**hole!" (Chilmonty)
18) Listen to those who have been doing this for longer than you have been alive. I promise you, they know more and every time (for the most part) they have given me advice, it has made a huge difference in the way I look or do certain things. (Cag40Navy)
19) Always seek advice. This will be a huge help to you. (Cag40Navy)
20) Keep notes on said advice. You never know when you will need that tidbit again... (Cag40Navy)
21) and finally, and has been said a few times, never turn down coffee. (Cag40Navy)
22) Pass along your knowledge to other newcomers help them to get started easily and safely. (country gent)
23) Keep a detailed record of firearms ( serial numbers descriptions modifications), equipment ( shooting reloading casting) on a couple discs for insurance reasons Pics are good to have also. Make 3 discs store one at home one at work and one at a friends or family. Makes claims with insurance or keeping track of what you have much easier. (country gent)
24) Always try to enjoy what you are doing dont get so serious it no longer becomes fun. Take time to say hi to other on the range. (country gent)
25) If you are new here, read every post. (shaper)
26) I found that a metal recycling yard will sell any kind of lead they have at a very good price. (shaper)
27) For both, PAY ATTENTION. And as stated by others, keep notes. I may add, keep them organized. The purpose of records and filing is not to have a place to put stuff, but to be able to FIND stuff after it's been put away. (Grump)
28) For women, always try to understand her but don't despair when you don't, 'cause you probably never will. Fully at least. She feels the same way often enough too, so put more energy into listening than persuading. And don't underestimate empathy. (Grump)
29) For yourself, you're not nearly as bad a person as you think, and not nearly as awesome as you imagine. There's a good way to not give a flip about what others think. Find it. Shun the bad way to not give a flip. Then you can serve and help and defend right and fight evil and do good without being compelled, maybe without being an A$$$$ about any of it. (Grump)
30) What doesn't go with "Force"
goes with "More Force...".

What doesn't go with "More Force"
goes with a "Hammer.."

What doesn't go with a "Hammer"
goes with a "Brick of C4"
(orisolo)
31) "America is a Free country but so Expensive to leave in” (orisolo)
32) Keep a record book. (flounderman)
33) Save all the boxes and original instructions. Imagine trying to change micrometers on an expensive powder measure and NOT remembering how you did it last time! It helps to have the box and papers. Anything you buy for reloading or casting, keep the box and paperwork. Even optics, scopes, etc. and especially scales and powder equipment, dies, everything... everything. It does work wonders. (canyon-ghost)
34) Never try to do more than one thing at a time. If you are distracted don't try to reload. (dagunnut)
35) Keep sharpies available to mark your containers for cast bullets, powders, resized brass, etc. (dagunnut)
36) Get a system that works for you, a routine and stick to it so everything is consistant. (dagunnut)
37) There is always something to be learned from others. (dagunnut)

Blacksmith
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Not in it for the brass but you didn't get any sources suggested so I thought I would suggest one that has a handy chart for shotgun reloaders.
Circle Fly Wads, LLC has a wad sizing chart online, print it out so you will have it, that has bore sizes and wad diameters for shotguns from 4 ga. to .410 and a number of rifle and pistol calibers as well as recommendations for Brass shot-shells and for load reducing in plastic wads. Lots of other information on their site.
Here is the Link:
http://www.circlefly.com/html/wad_sizing_chart.html

1Shirt
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Dont need brass, but here are a couple of things that I consider pearls:
A lee collet neck sizer for 303 Brit will insure long case life with moderate loads. Also, the 303 collet die will also size 7.62x54R brass and will insure long case life with moderate loads. If/when you get any cases that are a bit tight, then maybe size them to ALMOST full length and then anneal and go back to only neck sizing. 303/7.62x54 commercial brass is expensive, and not always available, so with the above believe that 30 or more loadings are possible.
1Shirt!

NewbieDave007
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys. Great information.

NewbieDave007
05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
Grump,

Please respond to my PMs with your choice, so I can notify the winners.

Thanks.
Dave

Grump
05-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Winners should be notified soon.

I think.

NewbieDave007
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
The winners were notified by PM earlier and 3 of 4 have responded. If the forth doesn't respond within the 24 hours, then an alternate will be notified until we give have the 4 bundles allocated.

Thanks to everyone that posted and thank you Grump for offering up the .30-06 (you should have a PM with that person's contact information).

Dave

NewbieDave007
05-09-2013, 09:35 AM
All four winners have made contact and the three getting brass from me will have their packages shipped tomorrow.

Thanks again to everyone that posted. It was very hard to pick winners as there was a ton of "Pearls" listed.

Dave

PS Paul
05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
So true...

This is why I had to "re-discover through tedious experimentation" several pet loads I made up in my youth after moving on to different components as I aged.

BrassMagnet
05-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I received some really nice .30-06 brass today.

Thank you, Grump!

Brassmagnet

NewbieDave007
05-20-2013, 08:00 PM
All four have received their brass. Thanks again for everyone that posted and a special thanks to Grump for adding the 30-06.

I hope this thread helped others as much as it helped me.

Thanks.
Dave

Bored1
05-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Forgot to post that I recieved some pretty 38 spl last week!!!! Gotta get it going for the girlfriends revolver soon, shes got her eyes on my Norinco 213 :shock: so need to distract her SOON :mrgreen:

roscottjr
08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
While I could use some brass and would have chosen the 30-06 as that will be my next rifle purchase, I will say before anyone else does that I was not late finding this post. I spoke with a member earlier today who sent me the link to this post. He is wonderful and gave me lots of info. Since this was a post looking for pearls I wanted to post mine as a beginner who is still in the process of gathering equipment on a very low budget. In my opinion, if you are reloading and have never been to this castboolits website then you are missing out, of course if you are reading this then you are already here, :-). Books are as important if not more so than anything else. If I keep on at the rate I am going I will have a castboolit book due to all the things I have printed out from this site. I stopped printing and just started saving because there was so much. I am on this site everyday reading. Yes I check for good deals on things but without any money there is not much I can do, but I still look. I can already see that this site is great and I am very happy that I joined.

Robert

digger44
08-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Great Idea

NewbieDave007
08-09-2013, 07:27 PM
While I could use some brass and would have chosen the 30-06 as that will be my next rifle purchase, I will say before anyone else does that I was not late finding this post. I spoke with a member earlier today who sent me the link to this post. He is wonderful and gave me lots of info. Since this was a post looking for pearls I wanted to post mine as a beginner who is still in the process of gathering equipment on a very low budget. In my opinion, if you are reloading and have never been to this castboolits website then you are missing out, of course if you are reading this then you are already here, :-). Books are as important if not more so than anything else. If I keep on at the rate I am going I will have a castboolit book due to all the things I have printed out from this site. I stopped printing and just started saving because there was so much. I am on this site everyday reading. Yes I check for good deals on things but without any money there is not much I can do, but I still look. I can already see that this site is great and I am very happy that I joined.

Robert

Robert,

Welcome and as you stated this is a great site with a great deal of information and wonderful members.

I'm also trying to do this on a shoe string and still haven't been able to reload my own rounds as of yet, but I would point out one thing. Trading can be a very useful tool especially for those of us that can be creative and work hard to obtain either free or low cost items to then sell or trade. For instance, I go to a state range near me and pick of brass and at that same range I have harvested several hundred pounds of lead. Even if your goal right now is just to reload, you can either trade or sell the brass and lead you aren't using for equipment or money towards your reloading goals. It is a slow road, but at least it is moving forward.

Welcome and good luck.

Dave

roscottjr
08-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I have considered going to the range and pick up cases. There are a few problems for me though. One range has an annual membership fee of over $200 plus fee each visit to go out on the range. There is a government range but they have a rule to pick up your own brass. Not sure if people actually do it or if they throw it all in a can yet as I have not been there but plan on going.

Id be happy if I could find some wheel weights. At least then I could start casting boolits and they would be ready when I start loading. Tire places around here are out every time I go. Salvage yards have none. But I will get there.. :-)

Robert

NewbieDave007
08-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Let me clarify. The range I go to only allows you to pick up you own during normal hours. After hours they allow you to walk onto the grounds and pick up whatever brass is left behind. Personally I sweep up, pick up trash, put the benches on the tables, etc. that was they know that I've been there and actually want me to come because the range looks much better after I leave than when I get there. Since it is a state range and I knew that I wasn't going to be digging at the berms, I picked up my range lead as low impact as possible with yielding the most I could and didn't bother asking. Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Since this is all after hours I have to park outside the gate and carry everything in and out.

2AMMD
08-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Great thread. I don't need any brass or have any great "PEARLS OF WISDOM" but offer this advice. If you are new to reloading, buy a single stage press and do each step one at a time to learn the process. Second, NEVER, EVER load anyone's "favorite" or "most accurate" load without checking the bullet or powder mfgrs load data. Work up your own loads from that data!!!

DukeInFlorida
08-11-2013, 05:46 PM
I have always kept good notes of EVERY time I have loaded a batch of ammo. Even if it's the same recipe. I especially keep copious notes when working up a load for a rifle caliber. And, I always check that list of reloads every time I reload. I keep these notes now in the form of an EXCEL spreadsheet. Occasionally, I will print out a section, and put it in the appropriate area of the reloading data book.

I recently gave a good friend of mine the current edition of the Sierra Load Data Book, and he was delighted when the sheet of paper with my 30-06 notes for the past 40 years fell out of the book. On a lark, he tried the recipe that had the most glowing comments. Low and behold, that recipe turned out to be a five shot/one hole recipe for his gun, at 100 yards. I'm now his favorite hero. Of course, he just got lucky, but you can't convince him of that.

So, always document every time you reload. The EXCEL spreadsheet is very easy to work with. Or, just writing it down in a notebook would also be easy.

BrassMagnet
09-27-2013, 09:57 AM
To the top because there is such great info here!

DRNurse1
09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
How did I miss this thread?!

Dave thanks for the summaries.

My PEARL comes straight from Starfleet and fits in the organize your space theme: use Stardate or something like it. Year (four digits) <dot> month(two digits)day(two digits)<dot> hour (military/24 hour clock without the colon).

This post occurred about 2013.0927.1905

This puts all of your 'stuff' in ascending number order and you can easilly identify cartridges you loaded last summer from those you loaded 20 years ago (yes, some that old are still floating around my gun room).

It also can help sort out all those pages of notes by adding a page number as a letter or <dot>0001, etc.

This post occurred about 2013.0927.1905A

This post occurred about 2013.0927.1905.001

brstevns
09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
To some new loaders. Remember just beause a powder gives this FPS and with that amount powder and has this amount of Pressure, does not mean you can use a ratio and think each grain of powder will give this much more Fps and so much more pressure. It does not work that way!!!!!!!!!!! That is a good way to get yourself hurt.

NewbieDave007
03-31-2014, 11:28 PM
Something good to read... bump

BrassMagnet
03-31-2014, 11:38 PM
Something good to read... bump

Only because I said so!
There are a lot of good ideas in here to think about!

rockrat
03-31-2014, 11:48 PM
If you load in the house, do NOT use your wifes good vacumn to vacumn around your loading bench. Get your own cheap vacumn, so when the inevitable happens, you will NOT get the "LOOK" and you will survive relatively unscathed.