PDA

View Full Version : Everything is ready, I thought

randyrat
09-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought i had everything ready to go load my cast 170-180 gr bulletas and load my Old 30-30 with balard rifling and shoot tomorrow.
Dang all i have is a handheld pistol primer/ primer thingy( all i have ever loaded has been for pistol shooting). Large rifle primers won't fit( i thought about getting the dremmel out:twisted: ). So back to the store tomorrow. I need to please the cast boolit spirit more often and pay some hommage. I have had this old Marlin 30-30 for several months now. Maybe, just maybe sunday i'll be in cast boolit dream world. I had plans on trying some light loads such as; 6.5 grs of red dot,7 grs of Unique and some 7 grs of IMR sr 4756. All under a cast 180 gas checked C309-170 tumble lubed. These are all starting loads for the 170 gr Lyman cherry mold 311041. BTW I have never loaded a cast rifle round in my life. I almost did tonight.

454PB
09-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Is your priming tool a Lee?

Large pistol and large rifle primers are the same diameter. If you've primed large pistol ammo, the same cup and primer punch should fit.

randyrat
09-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Small pistol priming tool. Wouldn't ya know. I gotta pay some hommage

44man
09-08-2007, 07:31 AM
It should have come with both rams but I bet he forgot a shell holder for the 30-30!

randyrat
09-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Yeh, it did come with both rams and trays but, i can't find the large primer tray. It's been a long time since i used the large tray. I may have to pay Hommage to the cast spirit again. Geeeezzz I'll have night mares tonight of a real weapon, perps shooting at me from all directions and all i can find is plastic boolits. I did load some cast Forties tonight just ease my anxiety. I tried to come up with a way to prime the 30-30 and gave up when a hammer came into my thought process. Is there a way? without a priming tool.

MT Chambers
09-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Sounds to me like you're spending too much time paying hommage and not enough time castin' and shootin'...yes, we are blessed with the silver stream, but get over it, and try diff. lead alloys, diff. dias., etc.....tried some 311041 bullets made from pure lino. in my .308 and shot some 1/2" groups at 100, this is 1" better than anything before because of the lino...no praying req'd.