PDA

View Full Version : 9mm 147 gr. load problem

Roundnoser
04-30-2013, 08:14 AM
A friend of mine is looking for a little help from those of you who shoot a cast 147 gr. boolit in 9mm. I gave him a box of my bullets (Magma 147gr. flat points) sized to .356" dia. He is shooting them out of an M&P pistol with the 4.5" barrel. His load is 3.3 gr. of Bullseye. (Lyman lists 2.8 - 3.5 gr. of BE for this bullet).

He claims that the bullets are very accurate at close range (10 yards), but at longer distances the groups are hitting high. He also said that the bullets are not punching a clean hole in the targets, and thinks the bullets may be "wobbling".

The boolit diameter is NOT the problem. Could a different powder make a difference here? Any one else experience this?

Thanks for the help.

bobthenailer
04-30-2013, 09:26 AM
With cast bullets in the 9mm & 38 super i have allways gotten my best absulate accuracy with med fast to med burning speed powders AKA, WSF , WAP, Power pistol ,HS6 and Herco. I only use .357 dia bullets for best accuracy even if the barrel slugs .355 dia
However the wobbling my be a bullet stablization ? try boosting the velocity up another 100 fps.
I have never experinced this with my Saeco 929 145gr swc in any of my pistols

repawn
04-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem when I started - I started with 3.1gr of Universal - I needed to up the powder charge - found a load that worked great at 3.4 gr Universal. Have him work the load up slowly - 1/2 grain at a time until it stops keyholing/tumbling. I also found that it was more accurate with the hotter load.

GabbyM
04-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Pull a bullet and measure it. Dollar to a doughnut he is swaging down the bullet due to case expander plug not reaching deep enough. 9mm has plenty tight twist to stabilize that bullet. Increasing powder charge may create enough pressure to obdurate the bullet back up to fit. But the problem is not to low a velocity.