PDA

View Full Version : New Ruger Redhawk

Boerrancher
04-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Years ago I bought dad a Ruger Redhawk 44mag. As some of you know I was having difficulty getting dad's guns back and even had some of them sold by his widow's relatives. On of them I did manage to recover was the Redhawk. Yesterday was the first time that hand gun has been fired. I ran a box of shells through it that I had loaded nearly 20 years ago for my Redhawk. They were topped off with a 260 gr Kieth boolit if I remember correctly and powered with a max charge of 2400.

I was very impressed at how this out of the box revolver shot. Mine shoots really well, but it is a custom shop gun, I scoped it and with it's 8 inch barrel it will shoot a great deal better than I can shoot it. The one I got for dad has a 4 inch barrel, iron sights, and is nothing special other than the Pachmyre grips dad put on it. With the full bore loads, shorter barrel, and iron sights I was still able to shred several soda cans at 25 to 50 yards with it. I went to clean it before I fired it and I don't think dad ever put a round through it. There was no ring on the cylinder to indicate that it had ever been rotated. I may have just found a new favorite hip holster gun that I like better than my GP100.

Best wishes,

Joe

white eagle
04-30-2013, 08:01 AM
good news Joe

theperfessor
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I love my .44 Redhawk, but it's a heavy rascal to tote much, even with a 4" tube. Glad you got some of your dad's stuff back.

contender1
04-30-2013, 09:38 AM
Congrats on getting one of your family treasures back.
A 4" barrel means that gun is the Alaskan. The original Redhawks were only offered by Ruger in the 7-1/2" barrel at first, then some in 5-1/2".
I always figured the 4" would be a nice packin' gun!

GaryN
05-01-2013, 01:37 AM
That would be a fun gun. I don't know about a packin' gun though. Those Redhawks are heavy. That's one reason they are fun to shoot. You can stoke them up and they are still pretty easy on the hand.

Boerrancher
05-01-2013, 07:35 AM
The weight of a handgun doesn't bother me if it is well balanced and with in reason. My 7 1/2 inch barreled on is sweet, as I said in the OP but it just doesn't carry well, except in a chest type hunting holster. Forget putting it on your belt. The one that belonged to Dad, on the other hand, has a near perfect balance and is neither too long nor too heavy to hang off of your belt.

I shot it some more yesterday and I would say it is a near flawless fit for me. I have owned and shot many 44 mags over the years, from some of the most expensive like the Dan Wesson, to some of the cheap imports, and none have been more comfortable for me to shoot than this one.

Best wishes,

Joe

Ben
05-01-2013, 07:43 AM
The fact that the revolver belonged to your Dad makes it special.
Glad you were able to bring it back home.

Ben

Mal Paso
05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
I love my .44 Redhawk, but it's a heavy rascal to tote much, even with a 4" tube. Glad you got some of your dad's stuff back.

Galco DAO194 Holster and SB2 Belt!

Mk42gunner
05-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I keep trying to talk myself out of another .44 Magnum, then someone posts about how well their Redhawk shoots......

I really regret getting rid of the last 5 1/2" Stainless Redhawk that I had.

Robert