PDA

View Full Version : saw something sad today

johnson1942
04-29-2013, 11:23 PM
a neighbor who is new to our area came by with a pristine older renagade .54 cal. said the trigger didnt work any more. well it was pristine on the out side however the barrel was totaly and completely rusted out. was last fired 10 years ago and most likely not cleaned at all after fireing it. also some thing had hit the hammer so hard when cocked every thing in the lock was sheared off. even the blueing on the barrel was really good but i have never seen a barrel so rusted out on the inside. it always makes me said what was a really nice piece of machinery is so sadly neglected. some are ment to shoot muzzle loaders and some arent. he really keeps his pickup truck in perfect condition but this gun was another thing. i dont know how this post will be of interest to any one except that we all feel good about how we treat our guns. their my babies and they may get nicked and dinged but they are clean.

Hellgate
04-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Can't you buy replacement drop-in barrels for the Renegade?

Nobade
04-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Yep, I just figure the cleanup is all part of the shooting experience. I get to play with my guns more that way and enjoy them longer.

I just got some TC parts from The Gunworks in Oregon, they might have what he needs to fix the lock. Barrel can be rebored or replaced, that's a shame he let it get that way though. Probably shot with Pyrodex to boot...

-Nobade

Maven
04-30-2013, 08:24 AM
johnson, Your neighbor may want to have that bbl. rebored to .58cal. If so, Bobby Hoyt's the man to see:

BOBBY HOYT, ML BARREL RERESHING
Robert Hoyt at the Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320. His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email - you have to use the phone. Be prepared to wait for him to shut down a machine and walk to the phone - let it ring. . .

pietro
04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

I'd be willing to bet that his "perfect condition" pickup is as neglected internally/mechanically as is that Renegade.

A Rose is a Rose is a Rose, & a slob is a slob is a slob.

missionary5155
04-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Good morning
Some folks are, were never properly orientated to BP. It is also possible he was shooting Pyrodex and had no idea how nasty that propelant can be to steel surfaces.
Mike in Peru

johnson1942
04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
i agree with everyone pyrodox is very very corrosive ill never use it again. i didnt post it but his response was, ill clean out the barrel. not this one and you might be right about his pickup. thanks for the tip on where to get thompson parts for a lock. i have several of them around, but they never break for me. i think cleaning is apart of the blackpowder mystique, i enjoy every part of blackpowder shooting and cleaning is apart of that.

crappie-hunter
04-30-2013, 12:15 PM
johnson, Your neighbor may want to have that bbl. rebored to .58cal. If so, Bobby Hoyt's the man to see:

BOBBY HOYT, ML BARREL RERESHING
Robert Hoyt at the Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd., Fairfield, Pa. 17320. His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email - you have to use the phone. Be prepared to wait for him to shut down a machine and walk to the phone - let it ring. . .

Yep Bob Hoyt is who you want to contact , he just re-bored a 54 for me took it out to 58. Bought this gun knowing it had a bad barrel. I was going to have him put a liner in it and take it back to 54, but on his recommendation he said that he could make it a 58 for a lot less than putting a 54 liner in it. I think he charged me $60.

I only live about 40min from his shop so I just drive by and walk in, took him about 3-weeks I believe. Don't know about turn around on a mail in order.

Hanshi
04-30-2013, 12:36 PM
I heartily agree; some folks are not cut out to be and should never even try to be a black powder shooter.[smilie=b:

Reg
04-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Another thought. Look around and find a replacement , drop in, barrel, have the old barrel bored out to a smooth bore and have a spare shot gun barrel.

deep creek
04-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Is there a blackpowder or a blackpowder sub that wont do the same thing to a barrel if not cleaned?I use pyro p and never have a problem .You shoot them you clean them no problem.

johnson1942
04-30-2013, 06:20 PM
deep creek, good point

JeffinNZ
04-30-2013, 06:24 PM
It's a shame but it's only a TC after all. Not as if someone ruined a custom gun.

johnson1942
04-30-2013, 06:30 PM
another friend just dropped by who knows the new neighbor better than i said he just gave the new neighbor a extra thompson lock he had. that solved the lock problem. he also said the new neighbor with the rusted barrel claimes he has this special acid he can fill the barrel with and get all the rust out and make it a good barrel again. is their such a thing? also rust has to come from some where and even if it is cleaned out their cant be much left to shoot with as well as a safety factor. all this casual talk from the man with the rusted gun makes me nervous to be around that gun when fired again or am i just too close minded?

WOLF257
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm using Pyro-RS because you can't find real BP around here and so far the bore is shiney, very easy to clean and keep clean.
Shoot it, clean it, oil it, bore cleaner the next day, dry patch followed by an oil patch.
If you don't have the luxury of real black and you aren't made of money to buy in bulk you shoot what you can get.

rhbrink
04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
There is stuff advertized to remove all rust might work might not. But it sure ain't gonna replace the metal that has evaporated while it was being oxidized.

RB

starmac
04-30-2013, 07:24 PM
It might shine it up, but can't take the pits out, which could present a problem.
I don't think it would be dangerous unless the rust compromised the breech plug area. Am I wrong in my thinking?

mooman76
04-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Could have been something as simple as putting it away and forgetting to clean it. That's why I never put mine away until they been cleaned. He could clean the rust out and make a smooth bore out of it.

fogg64
05-01-2013, 02:13 AM
To remove the rust I have used Evapo-Rust. It gets rid of only the rust, will not effect the steel like acids. Safe to use. Bluing is rust so it will take care of that. If the rust is deep, only the pitting will remain. I have had good results with it.

fouronesix
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Have to agree with the idea to ream and re-rifle to 58 cal. with Hoyt being the best option. You simply can't remove the effects of rust! That bore is forever pitted and will be a real pain in the derriere from now on- unknown accuracy, fouling build-up, continued corrosion (rust) in the exposed pits, difficult to get completely clean, etc. Of course another option is to ream to smoothbore if you want to get into shooting smoothbore.

johnson1942
05-01-2013, 04:18 PM
found out to day he is moving to florida in 6 weeks. was here 1 year and it was too remote for him and too many indians. each to its own, i love it here and i have some very good indian friends. his gun will even rust faster down their than up here.

gandydancer
05-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Back in the 90's 95 or 96 I had a TC Hawkin 54 cal given to me with a very bad rusted barrel on the inside only. the rest of the rifle looked like new. Called TC about a rebore to 58 caliber. I was asked to send the whole rifle back to TC. this I did. in a few weeks I got the rifle back with a new barrel in 54 caliber at no cost to me.. have been a TC fan ever sense. don't know what their like today now that S & W owns them. one can only hope. GD

starmac
05-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Some folks like rural living and some can't take it. Personally I am glad everybody doesn't like rural (remote) living.

Buttonbuck
05-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I bought a 56 sb renegade that was pitted had Bob Hoyt rebore to a 62 rifle I have to work up my skills and loads to 100 yards but I would not hesitate to hunt at 50-75 yards. I shoot a cast lee 600 ball. I would recommend him It does kick at both ends.

johnson1942
05-12-2013, 11:54 AM
i think it comes down to we all here like to take care of our stuff, guns , and anything else we have and we meet others who dont. i even have the habit of when im in my car mentally pruneing other peoples trees as all mine even the little bushes are pruned every year. we all here would rather buy something from people loke us than the other kind. we know how to fix up their stuff but we dont treat our stuff like that. thanks for everyones input and lets keep doing what we do.