PDA

View Full Version : Comcast may try to charge you for using your own internet modem

higgins
04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
I received a letter the other day from Comcast informing me that they had been improperly billing me since they had not been charging me the monthly rent for a high speed internet modem. They went ahead and adjusted my bill upward this month apparently without checking their records to find out if I had turned one in (which I had). Today I went to their local walk-in center and got everything straightened out without any controversy.

My conclusion is that some bright star at Comcast decided to send the letter to everyone who wasn't paying modem rent without checking to see why they weren't being charged. Maybe they lost the records from 2-3 years ago when I turned mine in. If you have your own modem pay close attention to your Comcast bill this month; anyone this disorganized may "forget" to send the warning letters to some customers.

MT Gianni
04-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Locations help in your signature line.

DCP
04-29-2013, 07:04 PM
They charged me also.

They did an audit and saw I wasn't being charged
I told them its my modem.

She says where did you get it. I said you gave it to me, she says we have never given out modems.
I said well you did. She says we will have to charge you. I said how long have you worked for Comcast. She says 2 years.

So now I know what's wrong. I need to speak to your supervisor.

Now I am going to have some fun.

I asked what kind of employees does she have asking me where I got my modem and then not believing me and going to charge me for my own modem. I asked her has she has ever heard of Insight. That's who gave me my modem.

She said I will get this taken off your bill get it taken care it. I will also take 20.00 off your bill.

Did I say how much I hate Comcast

ps
Comcast bought out Insightbb in 2008 (7 years ago)

longshot1154
04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I owned my modem for years and one day there was the charge for a modem rental on my bill. It was actually there for a couple months, just never looked past the part that advised I owed this much. I contacted Comcast and advised them that they were charging me for a modem I owned. They advised that they would need to send a technician to verify that it was my own modem. The technician showed up, never came into my house and said that he believed me and made a notation. Fees went away after that. Figure this is why I pay such a high bill every month, send a technician at who knows how much an hour to see if I'm trying to steal $5.00 a month from them.

uscra112
04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Y'know, when I retired and got outta Dodge, to a location where there is no cable, I learned a few things. One is that people who aren't glued to TV all the time are more sensible, and second that, despite it's drawbacks, there's a lot to said in favor of HughesNet satellite Internet. For one thing they manage to firewall almost 100% of the Chinese hackers that used to attack my computer 24/7, and second it's the only provider I ever heard of that actually voluntarily REDUCED my monthly rate by $20 a month, while at the same time upgrading my service.

FLINTNFIRE
04-30-2013, 01:38 AM
Had my own modem back when I started down the comcast road in 2003 , yes that was the year I got into computers , went with dial up , took almost 3 months and said enough of the wait and wait , did not get charged , the techs who hooked up the cables from the pole to the house were smart , now down the road upgraded to high def. along with internet package and phone is included , oh wait I do not get charged for modem (it is the phone part that the FCC says they have to charge for ) so my modem from them costs nothing but the phone charge made mandatory by the gov. is a separate cost , that was the reason I had not upgraded as the added cost irritated me , if it would have been included in without showing as a extra charge I would have put in the phone package earlier , one way or another the gov. bites us for revenue and so do the phone , internet ,t.v. or whatever water sewer garbage ,street improvement , water runoff , whatever .Taxes and surcharges.

warboar_21
04-30-2013, 02:25 AM
My mother has had this happen more than once to her. I bought the cable modem that she still has because she couldn't do her work anymore on her dial up modem. She had to have a service tech come out to the house and hook everything up for her and he verified that she provided the modem and not them. For almost a year they were charging her $10.00 for a modem rental. I noticed it when she had the bill laying on the table. They tried to say that they provided the modem but we still had the paperwork and receipt from the original purchase. Once documents were faxed in and their records checked they took off the charge and had to mail her a check for the over charge. Then about six month later they pulled the same **** but she caught it before it went to long. Not sure how many people they do this to and get away with it. This is one reason I do not do automatic bill pay on cell phone, TV, or internet. They seem to make accounting errors way to often in their favor. And when they slightly increase their fees you are less likely to notice it when you have auto bill pay.

FLINTNFIRE
04-30-2013, 02:42 AM
And when you think about it if just a fraction of us notice then look at the profits they or any business can rack up.
Why so many scams make so much , people do not pay attention.

Junior1942
04-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Look at the charges on EVERY bill! A poverty status neighbor without a checking account used to give me the cash, and I would send the electric company a check. One day I happened to read the charges on her bill and not just the amount due. Long story short, for several years she had been paying circa $8 a month for an inoperable outside night light. She got a 100% refund.