PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube or wax?

High Lord Gomer
04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Before I decide on what molds to get I need to decide on whether to go with tumble lube bullets or traditional wax lube.

The two tumble lube bullets that I have done (Lee 125gr 9mm and 175gr .40) both only seem to be full width at the base and the bands mic out at much smaller. My experience with wax grooved bullets I have bought before was that they were sized the same most of the way up the bullet, giving a better seal and rifling engagement.

It has seemed to me that the tumble lube smokes less than wax lube. Am I right or mistaken?

runfiverun
04-30-2013, 12:33 PM
you are right about the parallel sides being better at rifling engagement.
hard wax lubes smoke because of gas blow by, alox lubes are notorious for smoking also.

High Lord Gomer
04-30-2013, 05:26 PM
The only tumble lube I have tried has been allox and it seemed better than wax. What types of tumble lube would smoke even less?

runfiverun
04-30-2013, 10:46 PM
look for the 45/45/10 lube it cuts down on the alox.
some powder-lube combinations cause smoke no matter what.
231 and unique are pretty famous.
I have a load with unique which shoots super clean and smoke free in my 357 and in my 45.
and is a little smokey in the 44 and 45 [shrug]

High Lord Gomer
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Thank you!

mdi
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about "tapered" bullets as long as they are properly fitted to your gun (larger than groove diameter). The chamber pressure on the base of the bullet usually obturates the base and helps to fill the bore (and engage the rifling). Tumble lubing is simple and not a lot of equipment is needed, usually just stuff you have around the house, and "standard" wax type lubing requires a press, sizing dies, and nose punches. Both work...