PDA

View Full Version : Honda Motorcycle Website?

BCB
09-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Any of you know where there might be a website similar to this one, EXCEPT, that there would be people knowledgable about Honda motorcycles? A friend has a Goldwing and he is having problems with the rear brakes. He has no Internet so I thought maybe I could try and help him. Any thoughts? Thanks...BCB

45nut
09-07-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/

thats a friendly site. what year Wing?

454PB
09-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Gold Wings are my other passion, I've owned six of them and presently own a 2007. What year does he own? Is the rear brake pedal going down and no pressure? That's a common complaint with the 1500's.

Here's the forum where I hang out. It's for 1800 owners, but most of us have owned the earlier models:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/index.php

BCB
09-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies…

I will try the sites listed, but I will post the problem here as you may have heard of it…

He has a 1982 Interstate 1100 cc…

The problem is with the back brake. When he is riding it, the brake begins to tighten and then heats up. He has to stop and bleed the line to release the brake. He has had the master rebuilt, new lining, new lines, everything imaginable! Still the brake applies itself and must be bled to be released. He is now going to try to find used factory Honda parts as the parts he used to replace the stuff previously mentioned was after market. I think he can’t find factory parts? Could the brake fluid be heating up and expanding?

He is at his wits end with this mess…Any thoughts?

Thanks for the links…BCB

454PB
09-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Three things come to mind that have been known to cause this:

Bad brake line...it happens when the internal rubber coating peels loose and acts like a check valve. This allows the brake fluid to move towards the calipers, but then won't release pressure. If he's changed the lines, the next culprit is a plugged return orifice in the master cylinder, which has the same symptoms. If he has replaced the master cylinder, that's out. Third, dirty brake fluid which has absorbed moisture. As the caliper heats by friction, the water in the fluid expands and locks the brake. Obviously since he changed the brake lines and master cylinder, he thoroughly flushed and bled the system...right?

Dirty, dry, caliper brake pad pins and dirt coated pucks can also cause brake dragging, but they seldom lock up unless the heat generated affects moisture in the line.

One of the problems with the older Wings is that Honda dealers are beginning to refuse work on any older than 1988, when the 1500cc came out. Parts sources are drying up, but still available if you look hard enough.

If you would like, you can have your friend contact me at: eddard49@hotmail.com and I'll try to assist. I owned a 1983 1100 Interstate Gold Wing years ago.