PDA

View Full Version : Lubing boolit base

Waterguy52
04-28-2013, 10:45 PM
I am trying to set up my new lyman 4500. When ordering sizing dies Midwest was out of the lyman .401 sizer, so I ordered the rcbs .401. I'm getting lots of lube on the bullet base. I searched for a post on this, but couldn't find help on this issue. I did find a post that said the sizing dies are interchangable. I'm using the super moly that came with the kit. Can someone please point me to a sticky or help? Thanks

04-28-2013, 11:04 PM
One cause may be too much pressure, especially with that lube. I found Lyman's Super Moly to be very messy and replaced it very quickly.

MT Chambers
04-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Too much pressure and/or too much heat.

Waterguy52
04-28-2013, 11:23 PM
I'm using no heat except for a 70 degree room. The pressure is just barely filling the groove with a void here and there. Thanks for the replys. I'm thinking about replacing the lube. The kit came with all three lyman lubes to try.

Cherokee
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Are these bevel base boolits or flat base ? Flat based boolits should work fine. Since the presure is not an issue, per your comment, see if the nose punch is a proper fit for the boolit, it may be grabbing the nose and lifting it some when lifting the handle up after sizing.

454PB
04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
What Cherokee said. A poorly fitting nose punch could be your problem.

Waterguy52
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks all. I'm using rcbs 40 S&W fn mould and the recommended #558 top punch and the .401 sizer die. The super moly was so messy I finally took the sizing die and piston out of the luber and tipped it upside down and heated it with a heat gun until the black goo was out of it. I am think about ordering some of randyrats beeswax, and lube, then try again.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Waterguy52
04-29-2013, 05:06 PM
I am trying the lyman alox lube now with the same results, only not as messy. I need to wipe where the base of the bullet sits each time I remove a bullet from the sizer. I double checked the sizer and it is sizing the bullet to .401. I forgot to mention the bullets are flat base. The bullet is not sticking in the nose punch. The bullet seems to be fitting the nose punch just right. Don't forget I'm new so just right to me doesn't mean much. There is no lube above the lube ring of the bullet.

Waterguy52
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks again for the helpful comments. I received Randyrats lube which helped a lot. I'm also getting much better at regulating the pressure. Also lots of practice helps. I still get a little and just wipe the boolit base on a towel and get on with having fun. One question though. Does the commercial type of hard lube that requires a heater help solve this issue?

05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Regardless the lube, too much pressure will cause it to end up in places other than where it's intended.

Calamity Jake
05-05-2013, 09:24 PM
Just plan on wipping the bases cause you will not stop the soft type lubes from getting on there. I've been lubing boolits with
all the different lubers for 30+ years, the star is the only one that will not leave lube on the base.

rbuck351
05-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Check to make sure your "I" punch is in right side up, and adjust your stop bolt up or down just a bit. Sometimes that will help if you can get the bullet base to stop between the die lube holes. But, as was said above, you are probably not going to stop it completely without a star.

Mk42gunner
05-07-2013, 01:03 AM
I'd play with the depth stop also. My RCBS dies only have one row of holes, but the hole is a lot larger in diameter than the thickness of the baseband. I have had this happen and sometimes, not always, inserting the boolit deeper kept the base clean. It can be a real balancing act with the shorter pistol boolits

Robert