PDA

View Full Version : KKM drop in barrels for Glock

jason
04-28-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm going to be getting a KKM aftermarket barrel for my Glock 21 soon - specifically for shooting cast. Just dropping a line to see if anyone else here on the forum has one and what their experiences were. I just picked up a Lyman 4 cav 452630DV and I also have the lyman 225 gr round nose in a 2 cav model. Looking to see if it likes any particular boolits over others.

Thanks,

Jason

Walt
04-29-2013, 10:01 PM
I have a custom 1911 with a KKM bull barrel in 45 ACP. It shoots any good .452 cast bullet load well. A 200 grain #68 clone at around 800fps is as good as it gets for my shooting pleasure. :)

Adam10mm
04-30-2013, 12:32 AM
Don't even ask, just get a KKM. I've had several and they've been flawless with cast. They are well made and give no issue with cast, unlike LWD and Storm Lake barrels. I had one in my G30 when I owned one and ran tens of thousands of rounds through it. Really liked the Lee 230gr TC in front of 6gr WSF.

Also have a 10mm conversion barrel for it (kept the barrel just in case) that loves a Lee 175gr TC with the same charge.

KKM is the barrel to have in a Glock and the Lee 230gr TC is the cast bullet to have in either. Here's the magic combination I can't shut up about: .45 ACP KKM barrel, Lee 230gr LTC WW + 2% Tin, 6.0gr WSF, 1.185 OAL. Primer doesn't matter. That load will shoot well.

bludog
04-30-2013, 10:43 PM
I just bought one for my g20. perfect fit, shoots 200gr cast better than the glock barrel.

cowboy
05-01-2013, 04:30 AM
Howdy- not familiar with the KKM barrels, but did get a Wilson Combat drop in barrel for my G21 gen 2 ; proved worth the money.

garym1a2
05-01-2013, 08:21 AM
For what its worth my Glock 21SF factory barrel works great with lead boolits. My Glock 22 factory does not. My Glock 22 Storm lake is also good with boolits.
KKM does have a great rep with my USPSA buddies.

jason
12-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Update: After a long summer without much shooting I did get the time to load up some boolits with the KKM barrel and the gen 4 Glock 21. If anyone is on the fence about buying a KKM, just pony up and do it. It has been well worth the money so I thought I would post a quick review now that I have the time.

First off, KKMs customer service was outstanding. They answered their phone on the first ring when I had questions. I got the distinct impression the guy I spoke with knew what he was talking about. He even said that if I had difficulty with a particular bullet profile that I could send it back, along with a dummy round, and they would ream the chamber for free (as it turns out I didn't have to do that).

Shipping was fast and the barrel was delivered as promised. Fit and finish were great.

My first experiment didn't go so well. I had some Lyman 452-374 bullets I had taken in a trade that were all sized. I had several rounds that failed to go into battery. I went back to the drawing board and found that the bullets were over-sized (my bad, I should have checked). I ran some through my .452 sized and loaded a few rounds. The LEE FCD seems to be swaging the sides of the boolits down more than I like. I put that project on hold and may even try sizing to 451 for the hell of it.

About that time a friend dropped by with 500 200 gr SWC bullets that he had obtained for me from a local supplier. I had heard that the barrel can be picky with design, but after loading and shooting about 300 I found that not to be the case. Accuracy was noticeably better, but not by a lot, than quality hardball. These boolits were sized exactly at .452 and I did a "plunk check" with each of them in the barrel before I fired them. Zero problems there.

I should note that I had met the supplier at a local action pistol shoot previously. He had two bullet designs for me to try out and gave me ten loaded rounds of each. The 200 gr SWC shot great. He also gave me ten 200 gr rnfp boolits ( that I believe were initially designed for the 45 colt - I don't know the model of the bullet yet, but it was amazing.) I should the tightest off hand group at 25 yards that I had ever fired. The holes looked like they were punched with a .45 cal paper puncher. All in all in the accuracy department they performed far and away better than they should have from a Glock (at least with me pulling the trigger).

At this stage in the game I don't even have much experimenting to do. The barrel clearly makes a Glock more accurate (at least when shooting lead compared to jacketed bullets). I was initially leaning toward the Wilson Combat barrel but (at the time) they didn't make one for Gen 4 guns.

From my perspective, KKM makes a top notch barrel and they have staff willing to back up their product. They are also made in the USA, which is another bonus. If any of you Glock shooters are on the fence, don't wait. My experience is that the gun's accuracy is clearly better with lead boolits and the KKM barrel, better even than quality hardball/hollow-point factor ammo with the OEM Glock barrel.

Jason

Jailer
12-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Got one in my 21 and it's fantastic. I size mine to .451 and they shoot great with ZERO leading. You can push a dry patch on a jag through the barrel after several hundred rounds and it looks like it hasn't been fired.

A buddy of mine got one for his 34 at my recommendation and his experience has been the same as mine.

cwheel
12-02-2013, 08:20 PM
KKM is shop is just above me in Moundhouse, NV. When we went looking for a aftermarket barrel for a G30, everyone seamed to have the Wolf drop in. After a little reading of reviews, decided on the KKM. Drove 40 miles north up to their shop and bought one across the counter. Shop is impressive, new and modern CNC machinery. Product dropped in just as advertised. Shoots very accurately with cast. I paid an extra $30 for this one compared to the Wolf, but I think I got more than my monies worth. Highly recommended, good people to deal with,
Chris

edadmartin
02-18-2016, 11:06 PM
1 19 2016. For my G 30sf with KKM barrel
I use MB cast 200gr rnfp, with 4.8 gr of AA2 powder, my col is less than for my 1911 but cant remember now.
Now that the col is right it feeds flawlessly.At first I tried a reload from my 1911 but it was to long and the glock hated lswc.The KKM is worth every penny.

EDK
02-24-2016, 04:58 PM
I ordered a KKM for my 17 from the factory. Got a barrel and compensator for my 34 off eBay. Bought a 41...and got a KKM for it. Way better accuracy, no leading, and the brass doesn't swell up like the OEM barrel did.

The 9mm get LEE 356-120 TC and the 45acp get H&G 68...and run perfectly.