PDA

View Full Version : Which press?

ohnomrbillk
04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm a major noob, so take it easy.

I'm gathering the pieces now to Swage 22 center fire bullets with a reloading press.

It occurred to me that I'm going to want to expand into specialty heavy bullets in 30 to 510 caliber.

I have the impression my rcbs RC II will run out of capability with the big stuff.

What press is logical? Walnut Hill? Aneat's plans? Hydro upgrade to Aneat's plans?

I can't afford a commercial hydro machine, but I think I could make one.

Any plans outside of Aneat's?

Lizard333
04-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Spend the coin and get the Walnut Hill. A very well made press that won't disappoint. Do it once, and do it right. When you do get a Walnut Hill, after using a regular reloading press, you'll wonder why you ever waisted your time.

ohnomrbillk
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Is there any cross compatibility with Walnut Hill dies and anything else?

I'm wanting to set up to be as universal as possible.

Smokin7mm
05-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Not sure what you mean by compatibility. WH dies are threaded 7/8-14 the same as reloading dies but a swaging press is set up reverse of what a reloading press would be as far as die config. In the WH the die is on the bottom (screwed into the ram) and the punch is on top. The reloading press dies are just the opposite. Now the current WH press has double linkage so it can be used for swaging and reloading so with a reloading adaptor it could serve that purpose as well as work with reloading press type dies. RCE also make an adaptor to work with some of the corbins dies.
Bret

midnight
05-01-2013, 11:58 AM
You can get and I have adapters so I can use dave Corbin's S dies on the Walnut Hill. I still use the Rockchucker to pinch trim and make pistol bullets with old Herter's dies.

Bob

ohnomrbillk
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Not sure what you mean by compatibility. WH dies are threaded 7/8-14 the same as reloading dies but a swaging press is set up reverse of what a reloading press would be as far as die config. In the WH the die is on the bottom (screwed into the ram) and the punch is on top. The reloading press dies are just the opposite. Now the current WH press has double linkage so it can be used for swaging and reloading so with a reloading adaptor it could serve that purpose as well as work with reloading press type dies. RCE also make an adaptor to work with some of the corbins dies.
Bret

Bret,

If you had Blackmon's conversion of the RCBS or Blackmon's BSSP, would they use the same dies as a Walnut Hill?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/tenxal/bulletdies.jpg

Smokin7mm
05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I don't think so. I think the blackmons press and conversion stuff use the same thread as the corbins S-dies which I believe are 5/8-24 but someone that has one of these could confirm that. If you buy a press with the larger thread 7/8-14 you can always get an adapter to use something smaller but you cant go the other way. Just my 2¢
Bret

MIBULLETS
05-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't think so. I think the blackmons press and conversion stuff use the same thread as the corbins S-dies which I believe are 5/8-24 but someone that has one of these could confirm that. If you buy a press with the larger thread 7/8-14 you can always get an adapter to use something smaller but you cant go the other way. Just my 2¢
Bret

Bret is correct.

Reload3006
05-03-2013, 10:36 PM
I have blackmons rockchucker conversion and a set of his dies I also have a walnut hill. If you get the S die conversion from Richard the blackmon dies will sort of work in your press. You will have to do some modification. If you get the reloading adapter for the walnut hill all the reloading press style dies will work just like they would in a reloading press. I have the S dies and they sort of work in the walnut hill too. the internal punches need to be modified or adapted to the walnut hill. the dies and top punch will work just fine.