PDA

View Full Version : Lee turret extension????

abunaitoo
04-28-2013, 04:38 PM
I was loading some .308 today on my Lee turrent.
I only flair, seat, crinp. I prime, powder off the press.
I turn the head manually.
I installed the rod to see if the auto-rotate would work.
When the turret turned, the die caught on the boolet.
It's only catching less than 1/4".

Has anyone tried to make the "legs" longer????
If they were made longer, I could make it clear the boolet, and the auto-rotate would work.
The rod would have to be made longer, but that looks like a easy fix.
I'm wondering if the "ram" throw would be long enough????

44Vaquero
04-29-2013, 03:10 AM
No, the ram would not have the travel needed. Lee's 4 Hole Classic Turret Press is capable of doing cartridges over 3 inches and if the auto index is deactivated around 4 inches is possible.

BoolitSchuuter
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
It's a timing issue. Extending the supports will only increase the length of travel to get to the die. You would then have to screw the die in further to get to the same position and your back where you started. I presume the problem occurs during the boolit seating sequence. Try adjusting the die so the boolit and case clear the die on the up stroke, then lower the seating stem accordingly to get the OAL your looking for.

abunaitoo
04-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Good input.
I'm using an old three hole Lee turret.
Just trying to save some money and time.
As I'm looking at it, the die plate turns at the last 3/4" of ram traval. If I extend the whole plate up 1", it looks like it would clear before the plate starts to turn. At least it look that way.
The problem I see is the length of traval of the ram. I does look like it would not be long enough.
I don't have the new "Classic Cast Turret" so I can't compare the two. I'm almost sure the "CCT" opening is bigger.
Anyone have both and can check????
I just enjoy tinkering with things.

44Vaquero
04-30-2013, 09:03 PM
The information you are looking for is posted on Lee's web site. The standard turret has a cartridge range of 2.313 or less and the classic cast has a range of 3.313 or less. The rams will not interchange the classic cast is larger.

abunaitoo
05-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you.
Never ceases to amaze me how many well informed people on this fourm.
I guess I'll have to start saving my pennys to buy another press.
Never seems to end.