PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Suggestions for 225415 in 22 Hornet

Alan in Vermont
04-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm going to embark on a project which will be new to me. Namely 22 centerfire cast loads. I have a single hole Lyman 225415 which supposedly throws a 50 gr. boolit as opposed to the 55 gr it is listed as.

I have all the hardware other than a lubrisizer, which I can borrow (no Star die).

I have Lino. which I will be trying, staight, but is there any other alloy I should consider? I have pure, COWW, and analyzed range scrap to work with. I can put together just about any combination I want.

The quest will be to develop loads with 22 Mag. ballistics, think squirrel gun application here. Test vehicle will be a Ruger 77/22 Hornet.

Would appreciate "been there/done that" as opposed to theoretical opinions.

runfiverun
04-28-2013, 02:31 PM
for hunting use get away from linotype.
in squirrels and such it will just poke a hole through them.
the softer alloys will give results closer to jaxketed.

if you are trying for about 1400 fps I would do something like 8 parts pure to 1 part lino and water drop it.
you will have to play a little to make sure you have enough diameter from the mold to work in the rifle.

DLCTEX
04-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I prefer COWW + a little tin in all my 22 loads.

telebasher
04-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Same
I prefer COWW + a little tin in all my 22 loads.
Same here, with 3-4 gr Unique or 3 gr Bullseye and small pistol primer. Have fun!

303Guy
04-29-2013, 01:53 AM
The 22 mag is supposed to deliver 1532 fps in a rifle barrel with a 50gr boolit so you would be looking for around 1500 fps. I know of a guy who got hold of a whole bunch of 40gr 22 mag boolits and he says he was driving them to 3000 fps with good effect. He never did say how accurate they were, only that they exploded possums which are generally shot at 22lr ranges. The powder he used was Lil'Gun and was compressed. I'd suggest trying Lil'Gun with a se filled to the case mouth and compressed to take the boolit. That's assuming it does cast at 50grs.

JeffinNZ
04-29-2013, 03:52 AM
I used to shoot 5gr of 800X under a COWW 225415 in my CZ Hornet for 1800fps. Shot well.

ihmsakiwi
04-29-2013, 04:20 AM
Hello Alan,

I shoot the RCBS 55gr in .223 Remington ( 15" pistol barrel) using the following mix of alloys; 4lb lead,4lb COWW & 2lb Lino. Hardness approximates Lyman #2. I am using 13gr ADI 2205 (4227) and I have not had any signs that I can see of leading. I haven't chrono'd this load yet but suspect it will be in the 1700-1800FPS area.This shoots 2.5" 4 shot groups ( the 5th usually takes it out to about 5") at 200yds, scoped from the creedmore position, so not as steady as sand bags. Peter.

Sensai
04-29-2013, 08:49 AM
The 22 Hornet is one of my favorite rounds. Straight air cooled COWW is all I use below 1600fps, above that I water drop them and they're good to abot 2550. A little tin helps the fill-out if you have it, but is not required. It just reduces the reject pile a bit. I use Lil'Gun and Rem 6 1/2 primers. I don't think you'll be able to find those primers (I have a stock that I guard jealously), so Rem 1 1/2 will do. The main thing is to use as weak a pistol primer as you can get to prevent driving the boolit out of the case before the powder is fully ignited. Some say that Lil'Gun eats barrels. I don't have a problem with it, and think the problem is shooting too rapidly. It does burn hotter than some powders, but as long as the barrel has a chance to cool it's not too hot. Of course that's only my opinion, and is based solely on my own experiences. My second favorite powder is AA1680, if you prefer that. My Savage 340 likes a strong crimp, my Ruger 77/22H doesn't like any crimp at all. Experiment and find out what your rifle likes. It will tell you, usually in no uncertain terms. My only advice about casting the boolits is to prep your set-up so that you can set and maintain a steady pace. With those tiny boolits, keeping the mold and alloy at the right temperature is paramount. Don't even think about culling the boolits until you are ready to stop. Frosty boolits are good! Best wishes and have fun!!!

Alan in Vermont
04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Thank you, everyone. I probably won't be able to get into this project for a while but the information you have offered will get put to good use when I do.

Larry Gibson
04-30-2013, 01:57 PM
The quest will be to develop loads with 22 Mag. ballistics, think squirrel gun application here. Test vehicle will be a Ruger 77/22 Hornet.

Suggest the COWWs + 2% tin and then mix at 50/50 with lead. Or the lino type mixed at 30/70 with lead.

Get a bushing die to NS with or the Lee Collet Die to use fire formed NS'd cases.

Size, lube and seat the GC at as close to "as cast" as you can.

Use a Lyman M die.

Use a GC seater to ensure the GC is seated square on the base of the bullet.

Work with powders in the burning range from Unique to 4227 for the projected 1500 fps velocity. I prefer 1700 - 1800 fps with that bullet in my Hornets to duplicate the 22 Mag ballistics.

Larry Gibson

Bullshop
04-30-2013, 02:44 PM
I have had 5 of the Ruger 77/22 hornets. The gold standard with your boolit was,
alloy 6 to 1 COWW to monotype air cooled for a BHN-15
load 8.5gn 4227 either brand.
velocity about 2000 fps.

dudel
05-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm really liking the Hornet.

I'm currently using a Lee Bator mold. It's gas checked, cast from straight WW and water dropped. Aloxed and sized, then aloxed again. It shoots very nicely from my H&R Handi. I need to check the load on that, but I think(?) it's 2400. Using SPP and a few grains of Unique make for a nice quiet round that still groups well at 50 yds.

For really quiet, I've been putting an airgun pellet (lots of choices), no powder and a SPP. Almost no noise, and tiny groups at 25yrds. They make it through SWMBOs metal plant containers!