PDA

View Full Version : Contender Woe's !

blaser.306
04-28-2013, 08:35 AM
So I was at the range yesterday trying to empty out some brass so as to start load development with the new 382-220 NOE mould that just arrived ( Yeay ) . The barrel is chambered in 375 win and I must say that it has never shot better than it was yesterday. That being said , after around 25 rounds I noticed something odd in front of the shooting platform ( our range is still flooded from spring run off ) . When I fired the last round there was a giant splash about 20 feet out from my position and I had originaly thought that it was a ricochet from one of the other guy's that were there shooting steel plates. I soon discovered that it was actually the factory muzzle tamer brake that had taken leave of the end of my barrell, I found the brake in the ankle deep water and there is no evidence of a boolit strike ! The boolit that was being used was a Lyman 375449 and sized to 376" , I have shot several hundred of thes with to issues. Any thoughts as to a cause? The brake appears to have been silver soldered on instead of threaded as I had originaly thought , and it looks like a rather poor job of that as well, with a large "pool" of solder on one side and just a hint on the remaining portion.

Goatwhiskers
04-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Without seeing it, sure sounds like a poor job of soldering, no actual bond between the two pieces of metal. Soldering, whether silver braze or other types is a bit of an art and must be learned with practice. The brake can be reinstalled with silver solder but will require that both pieces be cleaned down to bare metal and start all over. Threading is a much better method as the brake gives a forward pull from the effect of the gases to give the braking action. GW

Nobade
04-28-2013, 10:16 AM
I have seen that many times. The factory brakes aren't attached very well and end up flying down range. No worries, the guns normally shoot cast boolits much better without them on there. Plus the TC brake doesn't work all that great anyway.

-Nobade

quilbilly
04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
You lucky devil. I have learned to hate those brakes and all I have left is one Contender barrel and one TCR barrel with one. Every time I shoot the that Contender barrel, the blast seems like it will blow my hat off and the noise is sent back toward me. I don't really want to take the barrel into the field no matter how good it shoots. In my TCR 338 WM rifle barrel, I at least found the velocity with CB's where the brake makes it unpleasant (1850 fps) and luckily, just below that velocity it is a fine long range shooter.

Spokerider
05-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Are you going to leave it off or solder it back on?

My 45 70 barrel has the factory muzzle tamer. As much as I do not like "wearing" muzzle blast, I need it to stay in place so I can keep the carbine at the legal length.

blaser.306
05-05-2013, 08:37 AM
I will likely leave it off for now, I have a friend here in town that sent a TC barrell to the warranty guy out in BC last September and Has been assured that they will look at his problem just after the new year? I needed a rimfire firing pin for my contender and when I contacted them their response was that they have been "working" on getting repair parts from S&W / T/C for about 5-6 months now and are hopefull to see some in the next 6 months!!! So! if I were to send this away hoping for a warranty repair , it would likely be gone for nearly a year. Definately not the same service as there was even a couple of years ago with the guy in Manitoba!!!

Spokerider
05-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Would that be Murray Charlton?

Gotta wonder if it's a S&W / TC issue, or the warranty dealer / or the paperwork BS for bringing parts in to Canada.

blaser.306
05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
No the one that I tried to contact was in Ontario. But the one that my friend is dealing with is Murray Charlton. I Used to deal with Lyle Linkaits ( accuracy unlimited ) and had great, fast service. But when S&W bought out T/C he and I presume other existing T/C warranty depot's were sent a rather unsavoury letter essentialy telling them to pack sand and the duties were transfered to S&W warranty depot's!

LUCKYDAWG13
05-05-2013, 06:27 PM
no big loss the T/C brake suck look up Crowmagnun on Specialty Pistols
AKA Eric Wallace #or give him a call 406 925 394
he makes a brake that works and threads it on

TCTex
05-12-2013, 03:15 PM
FWIW, there was a point in time when TC literally stamped those brakes on.

Duane