PDA

View Full Version : Well, it was bound to happen. With the influx of new folks.........

WILCO
04-28-2013, 06:34 AM
I'm seeing some "Trolls" and "Know it Alls" in the forums. Hope the Mods shut them down, as it takes away the "Family" feeling I enjoy here. :coffeecom

Taylor
04-28-2013, 07:29 AM
As I have never,and have no intention of playing the politically correct game,I tend to agree .I noticed too, some folks looking to "learn stuff" almost when it is too late(?).Classification:same as all the people who are buying up all the ammo and reloading equipment,hoping to cash in and make a quick dime.We have a sale paper here locally,The Peddler,always ammo for sale,and seems they have lots of too. I really hope they get stuck with it.Maybe I should mind my own business,it's hard sometimes though.

Curlymaple42
04-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Yeh, it is making it hard for me to get into this hobby! I took the casting class in MA back three or so yrs ago then scored cancer which set me back a bit. All set now and have a good supply of lead built up, but can't find or can't afford some of the rest of the stuff. Plus once i get bullets cast, the damn powder and primers are gone or too expensive! Grrrr...

Yeh, i hope these price gougers get screwed hardcore!

encoreman
04-28-2013, 08:51 AM
I agree Wilco, I have seen this another forum, the family feeling is quickly leaving. But there is some really good folks on here.

TheDoctor
04-28-2013, 09:17 AM
What I noticed the other day. Someone was having an issue with a retailer, and explaining their side of what happened. The retailer registers with the forum, explains their side of the story. How they knew to do that, I am not sure. Then there are others who chime in, one side, or the other, who are new. Like having 1 or 2 posts, and somehow just registered too! Makes me wonder how many of them are "here", and how many register just to flap their yap on the one topic, and will never be seen again. Or worse, put up by someone to post here, thinking that the folks that live on this site will not notice their join date/post count when replying. Not that having a low count is a bad thing. Everyone starts out at one, and a high number only means that you have an opinion and type a lot. But in some cases, it looks fishy.

Trey45
04-28-2013, 09:19 AM
I'll never understand trolls... Are they so weak and powerless in their day to day life that they can only feel "important" by annoying and trolling people online? Away from physical consequences and behind the safety of a keyboard.
Here's what will help us all, if you see intentional trolling send us a report, if we see a pattern of behaviour that doesn't belong here, they will be removed. If there's one thing I like more than hammering spammers, it's hammering trolls.

00buck
04-28-2013, 10:30 AM
you can fix anything with a hammer :)

Bulltipper
04-28-2013, 10:40 AM
I think it will blow over, a lot of PO'ed liberal progressives have nothing better to do right now than troll and snivel on firearm related websites. They will find a new cause hopefully...

gunfan
04-28-2013, 10:42 AM
"If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning, I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land..." :wink: :D

Scott

x101airborne
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Good advice given already, but I type a lot and have an opinion, so here it is.
Report intentional trolling and rude behavior to the mods.
Freely use the "ignore" button.
Call people out on their behavior. A simple "That may have been a little harsh" is respectful and gets the point out there.
I have seen this also and know the thread refered to already and it was "a little harsh" at times. I was not a fan.
Have a little patience, Gents. We all have to get through this together. People will come and go. Eventually the odd ones will be weeded out.

TXGunNut
04-28-2013, 10:54 AM
I thought it was just me, I have noticed some odd posts lately. I like the new folks, just wish some weren't having such a hard time getting started. Some of the newbies also seem to be experienced casters. Cool! I'm fairly new around here myself but have learned an amazing amount in my time here. Main thing I've learned is there is so much more to learn. Trolls can be fun to toy with but in the end they're just folks with miserable lives trying to bring others down with them.

Bzcraig
04-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I lurked around this forum for a long time before joining (maybe a year or more) while gleaning info about casting & reloading. I would do an Internet search for something and this site kept coming up and I kept coming back. There is a camaraderie here that I didn't see on other sites thus the reason I joined (only forum I have joined). There are great personalities here but I haven't run across any 'jerks' as I have seen so often on other forums. I do think the trollers will be short lived and those that care and contribute in a positive and friendly way will endure. I appreciate cast boolits and it's members.

Recluse
04-28-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm seeing some "Trolls" and "Know it Alls" in the forums. Hope the Mods shut them down, as it takes away the "Family" feeling I enjoy here. :coffeecom

+1000

Quite honestly, I think that once you register for this site, you should have a waiting period before you can post (similar to sales & swapping), except that I'd opt for making new members wait at least six months before they can post the usual "can I fire non-gas checked boolits" and "can I tumble-lube non TL-grooved boolits."

But even more importantly, in that six months (a year, even, might not be bad) waiting time, HOPEFULLY the new members will read and begin to appreciate the personality, tone, values and the way we are at Cast Boolits and when they DO begin posting, will do so with the appropriate respect for each other.

I lurked for several years, going way back to the Shooter.com days before I even registered. I met folks who were on that forum, and then the (now) Cast Boolits, in real life and swapped questions and ideas and stories about shooting and reloading and casting.

Small towns are known for being friendly, open and honest. The bigger towns are known for being unfriendly, hostile cesspools. Let's not get TOO big. . .

In the meantime, my Ignore List grew quite a bit after reading the Third Generation Shooters thread. I got rooked over by this outfit as well, and what's more, still have not received my money back. I'm confident I will :) just as I'm confident I'll probably not try to do any more business with them.

But the issue is how Olevern got slammed by a few of our newer members who have no idea who Vern is, what his situation is, etc etc.

It's a perfect illustration why we should enact strong Immigration Reform & Control here at Cast Boolits, USA, because now the riff-raff is starting to come in and bring their riff-raff ways.

WILCO, you're dead-on 100% correct in your observations.

:coffee:

fishhawk
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
It's been said by some members here that it's the members that make this site what it is and that's true! Even we mods are members of this forum and we all have to work at keeping this site what it is. Yes there's members that can be a real pain at times but usually just a nudge gets them back inline. And even the trolls seem to become infected after a time here with integrity and honesty. So give people some time to come around. steve k

WILCO
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
WILCO, you're dead-on 100% correct in your observations.

Thank you Sir!

Reg
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
Just use the ignore button. To try to make any kind of come back merely brings you down to their level.

km101
04-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Just use the ignore button. To try to make any kind of come back merely brings you down to their level.

Yep, when you reply that makes their day! They now have someone to "hassle" and that was their intent all along. In the thread mentioned above, the trolls kept nit-picking and mis-interpreting what was said 'till everyone eventually got tired of trying to explain. They were in their element and really seemed to enjoy bashing anyone who replied.

If you ignore them they wont come!

44man
04-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Yep, when you reply that makes their day! They now have someone to "hassle" and that was their intent all along. In the thread mentioned above, the trolls kept nit-picking and mis-interpreting what was said 'till everyone eventually got tired of trying to explain. They were in their element and really seemed to enjoy bashing anyone who replied.

How well you said that, thank you very much.

10x
04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
you can fix anything with a hammer :)

If a small hammer fails to fix it, a bigger hammer will always work better...

As for the newbies posting a complaint about a product or company - that may well be advertising in the form of trolling. Bad publicity to get attention and then good publicity from satisfied customers. Seen it happen on a couple of other forums where a "loyal employee" has "raised an issue" and the company got free testimonials and more business.

Blacksmith
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
I also spent time lurking and reading before joining. Advice to Newbies, read a lot before you open mouth and insert foot.

Reminder to all the little red triangle in the lower left corner of a post is there to report it to those in charge.

Jailer
04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
This was bound to happen with the large influx of new re loaders from the gun ban scare and the scarcity of ammo and components.

Be patient, the idiots usually vet themselves in due time and can be removed accordingly.

LC Press
04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Growing pains and it usually turns out for the better.

badge176
04-28-2013, 07:29 PM
to follow Jailer...
"It is better to be suspected of being an Idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

gray wolf
04-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Point me to Em>>>>>
Pick em out---drop em out---

HangFireW8
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
The worst behaviour I've noticed lately is a few folks trying to continue or justify arguments from other forums here, hoping for a better outcome. This is never a good plan. An occasional grumble about another forum I can tolerate.

I've been known to disagree with some of the forum heavies here, which is always hazardous, but then again, they often disagree with each other. :)

Of course, I don't read every post or every sub-forum either. I stay out of the politics discussions. Well mostly. :)

Harter66
04-28-2013, 10:39 PM
I can't imagine trying to get going w/o the help I had here ,but I remeber getting hammered w/"read the stickies then ask again" which frankly I thought was course as I'd spent several hours several Saturdays before asking that same stupid question again. That particular rifle continued to raise hello w/me for another year. At that point I had mastered 38/357 ,9mm and 2 06s. I got beat up for asking about that 1 over and over,I did finally make it work . In the end it was a simple fix for a complex problem.

I've also talked to lots of people whom were really turned off by the responces they had including the famous "read the stickies","get a load manual,read it." etc. Seems like lately more and more folks are just plain cranky. The politics in the air don't help.

I bet I'm on a bunch of ignore menus.

TheDoctor
04-28-2013, 10:45 PM

Was going to ask WHAT ignore button, but found it in the FAQ!

runfiverun
04-28-2013, 10:56 PM
cmon you guy's stop putting me on ignore, sometimes I do have something I type make sense.
maybe just to me myself self whichever.

I just move along and let them argue with themselves.

btroj
04-29-2013, 12:01 AM
I have a very short ignore list. I chose to read what I want and do with it as I see fit.

Is there a way to see who has me on their ignore lost?

As for noobs and trolls, they are just a passing fad. ignore them and they tend to go away. Just don't feed the trolls.

Love Life
04-29-2013, 12:41 AM
I only used my ignore option briefly. The funny part is that I still wanted to read what the person I put on ignore was posting!!!

So my ignore list remains empty. There is to much knowledge and to many good things to read on this forum for me to build a long ignore list. I wonder if Recluse has the longest ignore list? Or if Bret did.

Ahhh good times. This will pass.

Sweetpea
04-29-2013, 01:15 AM
There's only one person here that I ever seriously considered putting on my ignore list.

I'm glad I didn't, I have really come to respect his opinion on most things.

And yeah, he's posted on this thread...

Brandon

BRobertson
04-29-2013, 01:23 AM
I think my Wife has me on her ignore list!!!!

geargnasher
04-29-2013, 01:53 AM

What you say is absolutely true, but I disagree very much with the principle of having to put up with them. Who 'They' are is usually quite obvious. If several good an respected members here are compelled, indeed recommended by staff to put a particular member on "ignore", the time is far past already for that errant member to have received some personal corrective communications or just flat sent packing. Enough is enough, some things shouldn't HAVE to be ignored.

Gear

x101airborne
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM
There's only one person here that I ever seriously considered putting on my ignore list.

I'm glad I didn't, I have really come to respect his opinion on most things.

And yeah, he's posted on this thread...

Brandon

Well, thank you, Brandon! Very kind of you to say! Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

10x
04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
There has got to be a function where you can look at a persons profile (and your own) and see how many ignore lists have been earned...

That would be very entertaining.

dale2242
04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
I have never put anyone on my ignore list.
I can make choices about which threads to read......dale

Bonz
04-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Well, thank you, Brandon! Very kind of you to say! Just kidding. Couldn't resist.

Come on x101airborne, you know that you have a solid place in this community. Just don't run outta wild piggies to shoot ;-)

BigJohn8705
04-29-2013, 09:38 AM
I have a friend that told me about this form when I told him I was looking into reloading. I can't thank him enough! I have gathered 10x the information that I had a few months ago. I just wanted to say thanks for the family friendly environment. Please don't ignore all of us noobs! I have yet to come up with a question that I haven't been able to find, thats already been answered yet. I now am waiting on reloading equipment to come in and I am working on my casting equipment list. Thanks agian!

Noob aka BigJohn

cajun shooter
04-29-2013, 09:42 AM
First, I will give WILCO A HUGE THUMBS UP. 100% in agreement. Now for my second thought.
Harter66, If you are upset with being advised to read the stickies and to read the book, I think you are referring to the best gift this forum could of been given. The book by Glenn Fryxell and Ron Applegate. This book could of been published and put some heavy funds into their pockets but they love this site and offered it free of charge. That is something that has to be respected.
There are two types of criticism and I feel you have never had the one that makes a person understand how to find things out and how to redo certain things. You have the basic Criticism and then you have CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. When we have a teacher in school tell us that information may be found in the library does that mean she is lazy, not kind, does not care, refuses to help others? It means that she has answered that question over and over and it would benefit the student to do some research one their own. This type of criticism is not meant to belittle or put you down. It is given to help you learn.
Go to the lube section and see how some newbies have been giving advice to forum members on how to do all things with black powder and then ask which is the best lube to make for black powder.
Another lube question that comes up every week is I shoot my own cast bullets and I need to know which one to use for my rifle loads. The stickies have 200 or more lubes, how to make and how to use them. I don't agree with your posting that telling someone to look in the stickies is wrong. Later David

Smokepole62
04-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Hey Cajun Shooter, right on!!
I've been reloading and casting for about thirty years or so. Even when I started, information was available but usually required a few options:
1. long distance phone charges
2. postage
3. gasoline
4. shoe leather
So, when someone advises you to read the stickies, understand they may come from a time when instant answers weren't always available on a
desktop, laptop, or your phone.

M-Tecs
04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
There has got to be a function where you can look at a persons profile (and your own) and see how many ignore lists have been earned...

That would be very entertaining.

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat I.
04-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Less talking and more shooting would solve most of the problem.

nekshot
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
I normally only look at the threads I have interest in, but this one caught my eye. First off, I don't know much about computers and this electronic stuff but I am learning and sometimes I should stay off the forum and let the meds work out of my system. However last week I lost vision in a project and I asked for help and it was interesting the feedback. I really learned alot about the traditional guns and the clear classes they fall into (military,traditional, long types, short ones). I feel honored when those of you respond (positive or negative) to my threads who have been hear a long time. However I gladly accept the newer folk because we need our ranks to grow even though it might cramp my style. The one thing that gets me ticked is off is blatant knocking a persons view. I have no time for narrow minds. If we act courteous and stand up for what is right the blowhards will blow on out. This is a great forum, thanks to all of you!
nekshot

DCP
04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
This is a great forum. Tons of info.
Just try the search function and you can spend hours trying to find your answer.

blackthorn
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote "As for noobs and trolls, they are just a passing fad. ignore them and they tend to go away. Just don't feed the trolls."

So true!! "Noobs" learn and "trolls" die if not fed!

Trey45
04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Noobs we don't mind, trolls we don't tolerate.

jmsj
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
I'm glad that I was not the only person that has noticed this.
I had made a remark on a thread last week (I think) on just this issue. It had actually got to the point for me that I was checking in less here. Hopefully this is just a phase and things will go back to our "normal"
Thanks guys, jmsj

Blacksmith
04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
I don't need a button to ignore people so there are none on my list. However, if the Mods check how many lists someone is on when making their decisions I could change my methods.

NewbieDave007
04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
First let me say as a “Newbie” (even my user name says it), this is a great forum and I have learned a lot from it in a relatively short period of time.

With that said, I have a few points that I would like to express.

I think some (very few and rare) members get frustrated with the newer crowd for all of our questions without knowing where it might be coming from. Maybe the person has tried looking for the information and has either not found it or found conflicting information. One example that comes to mind is using a wooden dowel to slug a firearm. Before coming across this forum I had seen numerous YouTube videos and read several articles on the subject, and not once did they warn against using wood (although one said to cut it into 6-8” lengths and to use as many as needed). Since joining this forum, I have seen on this forum that you shouldn’t use wood without an explanation. Within the past week (after following a thread in the Helping Hands section) I finally know why, but I had to ask to find that information out.

Everyone is right that this forum has a wealth of knowledge/information, but at times it is hard to sift through everything that comes up in a search and that is IF you happen to know what term you should be using. Believe me I understand the frustration of answering the same question multiple times (I’m a father, I know), but I might suggest that if you are tired of it then just leave the thread without posting anything. Something better, would be to do a quick search (with your knowledge) and post a link to the information. I also understand there are people that would rather ask a million questions instead of trying to find any answers on their own. I would suggest that you might point them in the direction of the search function and maybe a keyword to type in. If they persist wanting to be spoon fed information without making an attempt then just leave the thread without a comment.

Not everyone on this forum has had the same opportunities to learn about firearms or the terminology. Also, people have different ways that they learn best. Personally I learn by doing, but others can read a description and go from there. Others only need pictures. As some know, I was lucky enough to be contacted by a forum member, invited to his house, and learned more in those 3 hours (hands-on), than I had in months/years of reading and watching YouTube videos.

I’m nothing special, but I have had a different firearms history than most shooters, or reloaders that I have met. What I mean is that my personal background is as follows: I grew up in a family that wasn’t anti-guns, but just didn’t have any or cared to. I didn’t shoot until I was around 10 and that was at YMCA camp for two weeks with a single shot 22 killing cans (total of MAYBE 100 rounds). Having wanted to be in law enforcement through my childhood, I finally talked my parents into buying me a Beretta 92FS when I was 16, and I taught myself to shoot at the local range. Now fast forward to when I was 21 and I joined the law enforcement ranks and was trained with multiple weapons (to shoot and not to work on or tear-down). Fast forward a bunch of more years, and several years after switching to a new career, here I sit with very little knowledge on firearms (other than shooting) compared to those that grew up with them. Everyone has their own path.

One last thing, as a “Newbie” to this forum, please don’t think that means I’m a “Newbie” to life. My post count might not be up there with some, but I would say that some of my life experiences have made me a veteran (or at least a survivor) at life. As such, people deserve respect until they cease to earn it.

That’s just my two pennies. Sorry about the long post.

Thanks.
Dave

.45Cole
04-29-2013, 05:14 PM
NewbieDave007
I think that as far as firearms go, new people always ask the same questions. This can probably be frustrating when answered all the time, but there is always someone willing to answer it again. Also, you post some random question about a problem and someone will answer it, almost guaranteed (sometimes even by a new guy). The true value of this site is the small town feeling, people sharing and helping others and the wealth of knowledge about all things.
P.S. I think someone had posted about a Electrical Engineering HW problem a few years back, and had multiple responses from people in the field.

NewbieDave007
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
NewbieDave007
I think that as far as firearms go, new people always ask the same questions. This can probably be frustrating when answered all the time, but there is always someone willing to answer it again. Also, you post some random question about a problem and someone will answer it, almost guaranteed (sometimes even by a new guy). The true value of this site is the small town feeling, people sharing and helping others and the wealth of knowledge about all things.
P.S. I think someone had posted about a Electrical Engineering HW problem a few years back, and had multiple responses from people in the field.

That is great, I couldn't agree more, and that is what I've seen since I lucked across this forum. As a Civil Engineer, I'm not sure how good I would do with a Mesh or Nodal HW problem (or something more complex), but I would see what I could do, or at least ask the EE that I work with.

gwpercle
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
IGNORE...if you don't let them push your buttons then they haven't done what they want...which is to get a reply from someone. When I read those I know all they want is someone to challenge thier authority so just don't respond. They will drift off if nobody will play thier game.