PDA

View Full Version : Lyman / Chiappa Mini Sharps ?

Gunslinger1911
04-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Anybody have any experience with these ? Lookin at the 22 Hornet. Not sure if it would "feel" right at 20% smaller than regular Sharps - have a Pederstoli 45/70 thats a hoot to shoot.

Mk42gunner
04-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Never seen one in person, but I would highly suggest a personal inspection before plunking down a significant amount of hard earned money. I wasn't all that impressed with the Chiappa .22 (the one that kind of resembles a 1911) the LGS had in the case.

Robert

Junior1942
04-28-2013, 06:57 AM
The #1 item on my gun want list is one in 38-55. Here's a good review:
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2012/01/06/review-lyman-ideal-model-sharps/

Gunslinger1911
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the article. Ya, that's a chunk of change for a single shot !! I'd really have to hold one, not sure about the feel of the 2/3 size.
Not as concerned about the quality - Chiappa can make some nice stuff - I held a "Ranch hand" ish lever pistol from them, well made, color case hardened, very cool !!!! Also ~$1000 ouch !

wonderwolf
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I handled a few of these at a "western" type gun shop north of my area this past week. I was like "awww neat (cute)" at first and then I looked at the price tag. $1250 iirc....I paid just slightly more than that for my full size sharps and a boat load of components when I got it. I'm not saying the mini sharps isn't well made or cheap to make but I find it hard to justify that much for it. If you were a milionaire and had a kid who wanted a gun "like dads" maybe...but I find it hard to spend THAT much on something that doesn't put meat on the table just as well as a $75 Marlin 60 etc....

BCRider
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
It really is a cute little thing. Handled one in a gun store. And fortunetly it shoots a cartridge which is reasonably light in recoil because weight doesn't scale directly to size. So this 2/3 size rifle is less than 1/2 the weight of a full size Sharps. So the felt recoil with a .38-55 is going to feel like a stout .45-70 from a full size rifle.

My other beef is that it's made by Chiappa. I won't get into all the sordid details here unless you all push for it or if some want to know by PM. But I've got my own personal account along with some others from local shooters and a gunsmith that encourage me to turn away from any Chiappa/Armi Sport products.

The one ray of hope is that Lyman inspects and backs their name being on the gun. In that case I suspect folks will have a better chance of getting a good rifle.

Gunslinger1911
04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the info and insight gents !!

Buds has one, and I'll prob bite the bullet and get it. If so - pics to follow.

TCLouis
04-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Don't know about the Hornet, but the one I shot in 45 Long Colt was underwhelming.

Sekiar
04-30-2013, 08:06 PM
I have one in 38/55 and had a problem with the firing pin pusher( don't remember their term) breaking before the 12th shot. Called Lyman and they knew nothing about it and told me to call the importer. That didn't make me feel to good. Although the fellow at the importers was very nice and helpful and sent out a new piece right away. I had to hand fit the part....must have had the action apart many many times to get it to work. Then I notice that the firing pin was slightly bent. They sent me a new one. Had to hand fit it as well. The hammer fall is just barley able to set off a primer and if everything is not perfect no kaboom. The workmanship on the little rifle and wood is just fine but wish they could have done the same with the rifle's function. I like the caliber and will keep the rifle as i also have a high wall in the same caliber. I had originally want the 22 Hornet but only the 38/55 was available. I'm so glad that purchased the 38/55 as it is a great caliber.

BCRider
04-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Sekiar, sadly your experience reflects my own. Nice on the outside but cheezy on the inside. The fact that these two parts were so easily damaged suggests to me that they were not correctly heat treated to a tough and spring like temper.

On the other hand welcome to the wild and interesting world of .38-55. Your membership card, secret decoder ring and instructions for the secret handshake will be forthcoming via Pony Express shortly... :D