PDA

View Full Version : Slippery 9mm

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Sorry this is so long, but I want to explain all the details to this design, both for clarity, and because this is potentially my first group buy. BUT, I think this bullet design will speak for itself, so if you have a 9mm, 38 Super, or any other 35-caliber that needs a good-feeding nose profile, read on.

After 25 years of casting, loading, and shooting 9mms in guns as varied as open-bolt MACs, MP-5s, Uzis, Stens, Lugers, P-38s, Berettas, Browning Hi-Powers, HKs, S&Ws, 1911s, Glocks, plus running across some historical information, I’ve come to what I think is the ultimate 9mm bullet. This design is intended to give flexibility in application/caliber, ease of handling/loading, and above all else – feeding reliability. 45 2.1 assisted with both advice and services in drawing this up.

The nose profile of Saeco # 115 was selected because it has successfully fed in every 9mm weapon I have tried it in, including my finicky Walther P-88C. (It has also fed in all the guns I mentioned above.) My best attempt at describing the nose profile on this bullet is that it is a “pointy round nose.” It is a VERY slippery bullet nose shape, which accounts for this bullet’s ability to feed in everything. See the design drawing from 45 2.1 below.

Sticking with the Saeco #115 design, we decided to leave the tiny step where the front driving band and the nose meet. For the body, I suggested to 45 2.1 that I would like a slightly wider and deeper lube groove with the square-cut bottom and tapered sides (to allow for easier dropping from the mould when casting). In addition, I asked him to widen the driving bands ever so slightly to give better bore-engagement.

For the base, I asked 45 2.1 to design a medium-length, gently-tapered bevel base, something similar to the bevel base off of Lyman bullet 356637. Why?

I believe nowadays a majority of people load auto-pistol rounds on progressive presses, because they like the high volume / high speed of loading. I have run across not a little frustration with loading small-cases (like 9mm) in these presses, because I’ve had to hold the bullet in alignment with the case as the round goes up into the seating die, or if I didn’t, the vibrations of the progressive press often causes the bullet to tip over. This results in either slowing me down (because I stop to correct it), or, if I don’t notice it, banging the bullet ogive or even front driving band against the bottom of the seater die messing up more than time... A great fix for this is to use minimal bell-mouthing (approx. .002-.003”), along with a long, gently-tapered bevel base on the bullet. Combining these two allows one to set the bullet into the case rather easily (since both the bullet base and the bell-mouth are working together for guidance), get the fingers clear, yet not have to worry about machine vibrations jiggling the bullet to the point that it tips over too far. (This also speeds loading, as your left hand can go for another bullet, instead of holding the bullet and case in alignment until they enter the seating die.)

All-up weight is intended to be 135grs, as I’ve found this to be a universal weight in the 9mm. It can be loaded subsonic, or supersonic. This weight was estimated around an alloy of wheelweights +2% tin. I’ve been loading 135gr Zero FMJs for a few years now, and this weight is by far my favorite in the 9mm. 9mm guns just seem to shoot this bullet weight really well, both in terms of accuracy and internal ballistics that are well-balanced for either recoil-operated or gas-operated semi-autos.

At the suggestion of 45 2.1, as-cast diameter is planned at .358, but we all know Lee’s propensity for variation here… Due to the variables with Lee’s tolerances only being bigger (by up to .003”), I think I will specify .357” or even .356”. Some other experienced honchos here have mentioned that most of the group buys coming in lately are around .002” over specified size. I know that there are people here with 9mms and 38 Supers with bore diameters as small as .354”, and there are also those with diameters as large as .358”, so I don’t think there is really any way to come up with a vote on a diameter, so let’s leave it that we’re aiming for .357”-.358”, which should make usable bullets for virtually everybody (some with sizing down) and leave this issue at that. (Also, keep in mind that the final actual diameter Lee makes and alloy you use may affect the actual weight and the as-cast diameter.)

My theories involved optimizing this design for the 9mm Parabellum cartridge, but for those of you who shoot 38 Super, 38ACP, 9mm SuperComp, etc., this bullet is ideal for you to the point of almost being better for you than the design is for the 9mm! The one thing this bullet doesn’t do is cut nice clean holes in paper, but if you’re shooting steel, plinking, or more worried about feed reliability than the shape of the hole in the paper, I think you’ll love this bullet, as it is unbeatable!

So, is anyone interested in piling on for a group buy?

I'll post a picture or two and the drawing from 45 2.1 ASAP.

MakeMineA10mm
09-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Here's the drawing from 45 2.1. I'll add some pics of actual bullets loaded in 9mm cases later, probably this weekend.

Highland Drifter
09-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I would be interested in this one. How about an NEI 4 cavity iron mold instead of Lee aluminum?

Brian

Catshooter
09-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm in.

Cat

mike in co
09-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I'LL AGREE on the weight.........135 is awesume in a 9mm whether is a 9mm luger/parabellum or a hotter one like 9x21.
i just purchased 2500 nosler 38/357 135 practical bullets to shoot in my 9x21.
they are great !
i have been shooting 135's for years......from 1100 fps and up..........

will have to wait to see if the funds are their when you get close.

mike in co

cohutt
09-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I might be interested as well

Dutch4122
09-08-2007, 10:59 AM
If you run this Group Buy I'll be in provided that the order goes to Lee for a 6 cavity.:Fire:

Johnch
09-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I would take a Lee 6 gang mould

John

kodiak1
09-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Caught my attention let me know when this will fly and I am in.
Ken.

MakeMineA10mm
09-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Well, my camera's battery is dead (won't re-charge), so I had to resort to using my cell-phone camera, which is not a macro lens, as you shall see. Sorry for the blurry pics, but this is all I could get this date. I'm working on a new battery for my real digital camera, and then I will get you better pics.

The coppery-looking bullet in the photo is the US M882 124gr FMJ-RN in a factory-loaded military round. The silvery bullet is the Saeco bullet, whose nose design we based this drawing off of. As you can see, the Saeco nose is more pointed than the ball round, but it is still well rounded. It feeds like butter.

MakeMineA10mm
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't know guys. There's only 8 of us interested. That's not near enough to get to the 25 minimum order.

I thought there'd be more interest in a 9mm RN, but perhaps the stock designs are "good enough" to suppress interest, even if the new bullet is a better design. Perhaps, it's summer and people are actually out shooting, scouting hunting spots, or otherwise outdoors and not perusing here...

Perhaps if this thread floats here for awhile longer, some more will see it and interest will increase.

There. I edited the title of the thread. Maybe that will get some others to click on it to look at this design.

My intent is to get Lee 6-cavity moulds for production and economy. I also plan on, if I see there's enough interest to post a group-buy thread, letting the GB run for a long time, maybe a couple months, so that people can recover financially from the other GBs going on, and so that everyone gets a chance to see it. That's my intention anyway.

38-55
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM
MakeMineA10mm,
I'm in for 2 if ya get the lee 6 cavity critter... Maybe more..
Calvin
Ps I just came back from the range....

MakeMineA10mm
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks 38-55.

I've just been reading 45nut's thread about "how satisfied are you with Group Buys?" There's a LOT of unhappiness around here with Lee.

I've got the Lee custom 44 MavDutchman mould that was run over at the SassWire a few years ago, and it's an OK mould. I'm waiting on the 429640GC from this website right now. I can be patient, but it is interesting that we have to wait 6 months for moulds of potentially dubious quality. Of course, they are not real expensive either, especially considering they are custom or semi-custom designs...

Still, it makes me wonder if another, high-quality producer, would spark more interest. I'm doing some research, and will get back with y'all.

crabo
09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
I would probably be interested, but I would hate to wait so long for a mold. I am also concerned about the quality I would get. Put me on the list as a possibility.

Crabo

James Wisner
09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I am on the fence about this one.

Have several 9mm moulds that I need to do some shooting in my guns to see which is the best for them. As well as in the process of building another 9mm.

H&G 115 gr BB RN
Saeco #115
Lachmiller 120 gr TC
Lee 125 2R
Lyman 356242, 121 gr.

I am interested as the heavier bullet is nice, but also am in 4 other group buys I am waiting on.

Either the Lee 6cav or just go to Nei for a 4 or 6 cav.

Jim Wisner

38-55
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
MakeMine10mm,
I've been following the Lee story too... Personally I think they are just swamped. They have said they have a new machine designated to group buys... and they are now playing catchup... I think things will get better in a bit.. Sure I'd like a ten cavity H&G mould with your bullet design ( a very good one at first glance) but I'm not going to mortgage my house to have one.. So it's lee for me unless you can find someone who will make a iron mould for the same price... I don't think that will happen anytime soon.
Stay safe
Calvin

monadnock#5
09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm not ready to join the parade yet, but you've definitely piqued my interest with this thread.

jim4065
09-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I guess that I'm interested also, but I'm already in on 12 GB's with no molds to show for it. Just gotta wait until something comes in before I can spend any more on the "Pig in a Poke" that Lee Moulds have become.

Buckshot
09-14-2007, 01:21 AM
..............If you said 'Go' and it was in a Lee 6 cavity my money would be on the way. What's the designed as cast diameter supposed to be? My 38 Super Witness likes .357".

..............Buckshot

Boomer Mikey
09-14-2007, 05:10 AM
I'm in on this one too, my Beretta 92SBF hasn't been used in 10 years for lack of a good bullet and my lazy bones not prepping the 5,000 empties in the drawer.

Boomer :Fire:

MakeMineA10mm
09-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, I've been talking to Ballisti-Cast. (I have one of their casting machines, and they bought the rights to the H&G designs and make H&G-style hand moulds.)

If we get a 25-mould order together, they will give us a discount.

4-cavity moulds: $162.80 + $44.00 for the handles = $206.80 (PLUS shipping from them to me, and then me to you).

6-cavity moulds: $259.60 + $44.00 for handles = $303.60 (PLUS shipping from them to me, and then me to you).

These are really high prices compared to Lee, but they are 12% discounts off their standard prices for these size moulds with handles, which are: $235 (4-cav) & $345 (6-cav).

Best part is, they are iron moulds, use cherries to cut the cavities, can keep tolerances down, and will be able to deliver in 2-4 weeks. Still, they are a good 4.5 times more expensive than Lee's moulds...[smilie=1:

Anyone priced NEI for a large-quantity discount? (I've got an e-mail into them; waiting on a response.)

only1asterisk
09-14-2007, 12:15 PM
NEI doesn't give discounts. Everyone would pay the catalog price for the mold they want and split the $75 cherry fee. If you had 5 people (the minimum), the cherry fee would be $15.

David

MakeMineA10mm
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
38-55: I've read that stuff too, and if that new machine works out for us and Lee, I'm all over doing this through Lee, if for no other reason to keep prices reasonable, while getting back to a reasonably consistent product. If that machine doesn't work out - tolerances still .003", production taking 1 year, I'm going to consider running this through NEI or Ballisti-Cast.

Buckshot: Depending on the manufacturer and their tolerances, I'll spec it differently. My ideal specification is a .358" bullet. This will allow 38 Super people with the older, larger-dia. barrels to use it, as well as those with the older 9mms that also have great variation in groove diameter use it. Yet, it will still be small enough to allow those with tight bores (.355"-.356") to size it down only 0.001" to 0.002" and still get a good fit in their chambers/barrels. (This latter issue is helped a lot by the ogive. As I alluded to in my original post, even my extremely tight-throated Walther P88 will chamber ammo with this bullet, even though it sticks with most jacketed and other lead bullets.)

Boomer Mikey
09-14-2007, 07:35 PM
If you go with the Lee 6 Cavity I'm in but there's no way I'm paying over 200 bucks for a mould.

Maybe you can run 2 versions of the buy.

Boomer :Fire:

38-55
09-15-2007, 10:58 AM
MAkeMine10mm
Hey thanks for finding a price on iron moulds.... 640 vs 150 or so kinda makes my decision for me....
I think your right on the money about the size of things. At .358 I can probably get away with them in a 38/357 and the nines... I'm not to keen on the bevel base but if it doesn't work for me it doesn't look to be much of a problem to remove it and make a flat base..
You've got my interest piqued on this mould...
Stay safe
Calvin

MakeMineA10mm
09-23-2007, 01:06 AM
Well, with some of the reports coming in on the Lee moulds looking good, I might stick with Lee on this design. I'm still exploring one other option, and then I'll post a Group Buy thread.

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I don't know how I missed this one. Count me in for a Lee 6 cavity. Thnaks, Mick.

MakeMineA10mm
09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
The group buy thread is OPEN. Please post there, which is where I will keep track of money and who is in on this mould. When I get 20 moulds ordered, or so, I'll PM my address to send money. That way no one is out any money until I know this pig will fly... :-D

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20249

lv2tinker
12-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Here's the drawing from 45 2.1. I'll add some pics of actual bullets loaded in 9mm cases later, probably this weekend.

What are the physical deminsions of this boolit? Ultimate Round Nose Slippery 9mm
Overall Length=
Dia of the nose at the band,=
length from the nose to the band,=
length from the band to the rear of the boolit=

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a cast boolit that I can load in my CZ's to a longer OAL than I can with the LEE 356-125-2R, (1.054).
The ogive is engaging the lands at .247 from tip of boolit at the .353 boolit dia. The OAL of this boolit is .574"
Hoping to get at least an OAL of 1.150"
Thanks, Al