PDA

View Full Version : Phishing scam

GaryN
04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi All, I just received an email from DHS. It said I had a package that was scheduled to come to me. It was all official looking with their logo. They also had links to click on. It said the package was scheduled on the 25th. Instead of clicking on the links, I went to their site and entered the number that was on the email. They had never heard of it. And I have not ordered anything in a few weeks. So watch for this one.

Blammer
04-27-2013, 09:11 PM
DHS? department of homeland security

starmac
04-27-2013, 09:37 PM
What exactly could a guy order from DHS??? What they have I don't want.

Monttexan
04-27-2013, 09:44 PM
I get these pretty regularly from "FedEx." They're easy to spot because the font is wrong on the FedEx logo. The real logo has an arrow within the logo formed by the "E" and the "X." Plus, having worked for FedEx for 10+ years I know that they try to call you if there's a problem locating you, or whatever. They don't e-mail. I don't know other shipping company's policies.

GaryN
04-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Pretty bad when you can't get three letters right. It is DHL. The shipping company. Sorry.

starmac
04-27-2013, 10:27 PM
That would make a slight difference. lol I thought DSL went out of business.

oldred
04-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Pretty bad when you can't get three letters right. It is DHL. The shipping company. Sorry.

Can't get much else right either! I get these all the time, every time I order from ENCO (machine tooling) I get those goofy notices from the UPS or USPS -yeah right! The funniest one I got, and honestly I'm not making it any worse than it actually was, was this phony USPS notice.

"Your parcel are arrived and is awaiting your reciete (they misspelled receipt) please click on below link to print out claim form so to take to be presented at office of posta for your parcel".

Other than the goofy text the logo, etc didn't appear out of the ordinary, probably copied from a legitimate USPS web site, but obviously English is not their first language.

encoreman
04-28-2013, 08:38 AM
I was thinking it was bullets that they had too many of!!

41 mag fan
04-28-2013, 09:24 AM
That would make a slight difference. lol I thought DSL went out of business.

Hey Starmac, if you meant DHL, no they aren't out of business, just scaled back immensley. I ordered thru Natchez 2x's in the last month and a half and used DHL to deliver it to the post office. Slow as all get out, but lots cheaper the UPS is for me.

Unless I'm mistaken and it's a different DHL, the tracking website shows DHL Global Mail.

shooter93
04-28-2013, 06:06 PM
DHS starts sending you packages they will probably be delivered by drone.

wallenba
04-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I occasionally get the 'failure to deliver' message for something I never ordered. A rather pathetic and sophomoric attempt to get a bug in your computer. Who falls for that?

Uncle Jimbo
04-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I occasionally get the 'failure to deliver' message for something I never ordered. A rather pathetic and sophomoric attempt to get a bug in your computer. Who falls for that?

Apparently enough people for them to keep doing it. This scam has been around for some time now as Monttaxen said.

oldred
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Who falls for that?

LOTS of people!

Nothing will get people to click on a malicious link quicker than telling them they are going to receive something, they WILL receive something for sure!

willie_pete
04-28-2013, 07:33 PM
Right click on the link, then click "properties" on the bottom of that drop down list. If the address is not what you expected, something is not good; delete it.

WP