View Full Version : C. Sharps 1875 50-2 1/2 with PP

Caverun
04-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Picked up a used C. Sharps 1875 in 50-2 1/2 a few years ago and have tried different loads with different GG bullets- all loads shoot great. Several months ago ordered some swaged PP bullets (500 & 600 gr.), onion skin, and template from Buffalo Arms. Just retired and have time to play. Loaded 90 gr. Cartridge Grade Goex, .060 veg wad, 3/16" BPC grease cookie, .060 veg wad and the 500 grain .492 bullet (patched it up to a hair less than bore diameter) and off to the range. Had reviewed Matthews book and Wright's book on paper patching, also Venturino's chapter in buffalo rifle book. After adjusting the aperture sights ended up with about a 4" 6 shot group at 100yds. Very pleased. No leading, no excessive build up of gunk in barrel. Did use the blowtube with three breaths between shots. Fired 16 rounds and did swab the bore once about half way through. Target was partially covered with shade and my older eyes worked hard to try to center everything up. Even wearing a shooting coat with a heavy pad on the shoulder this a real thumper from the bench, but not unbearable. I have several variables to look at in the loading process and look forward to seeing what this rifle is capable of with PP loads.

country gent
04-27-2013, 08:32 PM
You didnt mention how deep the bullet was into the case. Set the powder wad grease cookie wad stack so the bullet is around 3/16" into the case. This will allow the bullet to center with the bore much better. Also I seat paper patch bullets with finger pressure only by hand size cases to fit the bullet. Are you getting a lube star at the muzzle? Is fouling staying soft and "greasy" the length of the barrel?

Caverun
04-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Country Gent thanks for your input. Bullet seated with finger pressure about 1/4" in case. Lube star is there. Fouling is minimal for entire length of barrel (more so than with GG bullets). Need to try this load under better light conditions-no shade on target. Really had difficulty with sight picture on that particular day. Going for GG bullets to PP is almost like getting a new rifle to try out!

country gent
04-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Caverun, change only one thing at a time with your load. Keep detailed notes of what your doing ( makes it easy to go back and see what youve tried), Opening the rear appeture up a size or two will allow more light on dim days. I have a Hadley eye cup and its a simple matter to change appeture sizes. Last Tuesday my sharps replicated the groups from the previous sunday with paper patched bullets of around 3 1/2" at 200 yds. This was a 45-70 load. Recoil is going to become a fator. How you handle the rifle on the bench is a big factor. Follow thru is important ( long barrel low velocity). Trigger control is important. These rifle are normally diffrent from bolt actions on the bench as to technique. Another trick put a towel down for your elbow to rest on as a pad. Mine really drives my right elbow into the bench. Get the rifle up "higher for a more upright bench position, this will help control recoil and make it easier to handle the rifle the same each time.

country gent
04-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Another trick I just remembered. What do you have for a front sight? Post globe with inserts? With the globe choose an appeture that give 1 1/2 - 2 mins around the black aiming bull. With a front blade smoke it The canned sight black a match or lighter will work, best is a carbide miners lamp or burner. You want a dull flat black surface that dosnt reflect light. Hold the post at 6 oclock on the bull with a thin line of whitebetween the front post and the bull as this is easier to see and replicate. A "flat tire" hold can be used but seeing that the same is tricky for some. A Navey Hold ( center hold) works for some but always gave me windage issues.

Caverun
04-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Front sight is a Baldwin with the internal level and all the inserts that come with the sight. Rear is C. Sharps with a merit adjustable aperture. I will have a slightly larger aiming black the next trip to the range to get the proper ring of white with the front aperture. Might also try the 600 gr. bullet to see what it will do. Plan to go very slowly with any changes to the load. No changes until I'm sure the group size is the load and not me.

Gunlaker
04-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Caverun, I would also experiment with wiping rather than blow tubing to see how that affects things. How does your rifle group with your grease groove loads?

Chris.