LUCKYDAWG13
04-27-2013, 06:13 PM
im looking to buy a Mosin Nagant in the next few weeks
so can you tell me what i should i look for is there a certain
year that i should look for thanks for your help and tips
on this

possom813
04-27-2013, 06:15 PM
What's your budget, what type are you looking for?

wallenba
04-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Take some pin gages with you, from 300+ to about 302+. Look for a tool supply house like MSC for those, they are relatively cheap. You can't slug the bore grooves usually at a store, but the bore diameter will give you a good idea how worn the groove is. Find one that's snug with the smallest pin, or the one with the smallest bore within the group. Next, look for a Tula (big star on the reciever), and a date that predates the Russian entry into WWII, up to about 1939-40. Laminated stocks are considered desirable, so are hex recievers, but I have no preference. Also, brass endcaps on the upper hand guard look nice and are getting harder to find.
Also consider the Finnish Mosins, they are said to be better. I can't comment on that, I don't have one.

nicholst55
04-27-2013, 06:48 PM
You'll be able to spot the wartime rifles, because they are very, very rough. I once owned a 1942 Izhevsk rifle, and the receiver looked like it was made by a blind man with a dull hatchet! While you're checking the bores, look for a rifle that does not have a counterbored muzzle. That was done to clean up excessive cleaning rod wear or other damage at the muzzle. Sometimes counterbored guns shoot pretty well; sometimes not so much.

Do a web search, because there's lots of information available online on these rifles.

nwellons
04-28-2013, 08:34 AM
It depends on whether you are planning to be a collector or not. If you only want one to shoot, you never know. I have over 50 and some that look dicey with nasty bores cleaned up and shoot great. Even if the hole in the muzzle looks like about .40 caliber, it can still shoot great because counterboring was often used to restore accuracy.

If you plan to collect, check out these sites:
http://7.62x54r.net/
http://www.mosinnagant.net/

And there are at least three forums dedicated to Mosins. PM me if you need more info.

nagantguy
04-28-2013, 09:10 AM
There is a lot to look for like matching bolts, bayonets red lettering shinney bore nice looking stock. Ext. If you just want a shooter or a project gun you really can't go wrong. Finnish rifles do seem to be put together and dressed up nicer but I haven't really seen much diffrrnce in how they shoot. Word of warning, don't buy one because if you you may end up with scores of them and so many tins of the ammo that you'll have to move. I have heard of this happening.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-28-2013, 09:28 AM
thank you all

Gtek
04-28-2013, 10:02 AM
You are playing with Com-Block production, when looking at in stores your inspections are very limited. Look at it as about a hundred dollar dice throw, look for shiny bore, matching #'s, screw slot condition, take .311" round in your pocket and check muzzle and hope for the best. The Finn's usually have smaller bores, can be a good thing if casting due to more mold options. I have seen some the extractors had to be slammed home over rim, some slick as could be. Check bore, overall condition, take home and complete tear down including bolt and let the games begin. Big picture- cheap fun, clean correct/well if using corrosive fodder and enjoy. If you get a stinker, 1- it was only a hundred or so, 2- roll it and pick another. After all it is just a Mosin, you have to get used to watching the cocking piece rise on squeeze. Gtek

Uncle Grinch
04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I've had two Mosin-Nagants and sold both. Finally picked up a hex receiver Finn M39 and am very pleased with it. It's almost like it's a different rifle altogether.

wallenba
04-28-2013, 11:38 AM
One thing you will notice if dry firing them, is the huge variance in trigger pulls. I've seen some that felt like 25 lbs! Others, 5-6. There a ways to deal with that, some cheap, another might cost more than the rifle. The easiest and best is the Huber Concepts trigger. The cost is about $75 though, and you can always take it out when selling. Another is the Timney, $95 and requires pemanent modification to the stock. I have a Huber concepts, and move it around to one or the other when the mood hits me. You can also modify the stock trigger, a little dicier, but there are videos on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPn8IdNJ_SE

Gee_Wizz01
04-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a number of Mosins, mostly Russian, but I also have a couple of Finns. The Russians are accurate, but the Finns are outstanding! I have a Finn 91, not 91/30, that will consistently shoot 1" groups at 100 yds with good ammo. It still had the factory target tied to the front sling slot, and also had a new Tikka barrel installed. I also have a Finn 28 that is a real tack driver and has a very tight bore. I believe the Finns took a lot of care when they reworked the captured 91's.

G

mace2364
05-01-2013, 12:57 PM
I would suggest looking for one, that is pre-war dated. During the war quality really went away in bu ilding these. Even the bore diameters varied. Getting one from before 1941 will help insure you'll have a better piece if you want to shoot it.

Dannmann801
05-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Like addictions?
Mosin Nagant can become an addiction.
Yeah.

Gtek's got it right, cheap fun....the milsurp ammo I just bought a couple of 440rd cans $79 ea, works out to $0.18 a round

There are also aftermarket rail mounts for a long eye relief scope and a muzzle brake available if you want to "bubba it up"...but you do that to the second one you buy...gotta keep one "stock"

LUCKYDAWG13
05-01-2013, 06:35 PM
some how by years end i think i will have more then one one to trick out one
to keep stock thanks for all the help

Hardcast416taylor
05-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Have several "pre war WW2" Izzys. I left one stock after a thorough cleaning. The other was rebarreled to .416 Russian Express with a Boyds stock, Timney trigger and a modified scout scope mount and scope. Both are a fun gun to shoot. I see Midway has Timney triggers for the M/N on sale this month for $88.Robert

grindal
05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Rule #1 is don't rule anything out when looking at the Mosins. Rule #2 is to be prepared, after buying the first, to buy the second then the third etc.

The more you can look at the better, but a few good marks to find would be a boxed SA (means it was once in the hands of Finland), the "MO" mark which is unknown but desirable to collectors, the PM mark - again unknown but desirable to collectors, or an example that has red paint on the rear sight and in the serial number. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

There are also three stock styles - pre-war which is noticeable because the sling slots are screwed in place. Wartime generally has no metal around the sling slots or very little. Postwar has pressed in steel around the slots. Any stock can be found on any gun as parts interchanged during refurbishment commonly and is considered correct by collectors.

Counterbore is not necessarily a bad thing as it was done to restore accuracy. Better to have one with the counterbore than one without that needed it!! My best shooter is a counterbore - the muzzle end may have been worn out during the wars, but the rifling remained tight and sharp. By counterboring they basically gave it a new crown and a good chance at accuracy.

Also desirable would be an "incorrect" receiver. For example a hex on a wartime dated barrel - the Soviets were resourceful and reused many parts and this sometimes happened. Basically, variation is huge and if you look at any number of these you will be able to find differences in them.

Have fun!

flint_knapper
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
get one that feels good (tula, hex, is all I got for you as far as secret handshakes) and shoot the barrel out of it!!
Enjoy the Last good deal in firearms with good cheap surplus ammo we will probably see in a long time.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-04-2013, 09:33 AM
i have seen a few with a bent bolt numbers on bolt match was this a sniper rifle ?

flint_knapper
05-04-2013, 09:38 AM
look on the side of the receiver for the screw holes for the scope mounts.

Oh, and grindal I can tell has been infected with the mosin nagant bug also
I think it's in the comoline used in surplus guns!

4719dave
05-04-2013, 09:42 AM
get a rubber butt pad ..lol .cheap fun ... finns are worth it .good luck .

tbierley
05-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I have 18 Mosin Nagants rifles. The best shooters are M91s and the best out of them is my Finns.Love them.

grindal
05-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Flint I am hopelessly infected with the Mosinitis. I have not had the funds or the location to pick any up lately, but when I need a cosmo fix I get out my tool kits (never cleaned them) for a quick hit. Good temporary fix for the disease. LOL

kendwell
05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Gunsnammo has Finn 39's, getting pricey, but getting scarce. Picked up a 1970 that is as close to mint as can be. "sneak" finn 39's were match conditioned, bedding, trigger work, and used only for yearly officer qualifications with match grade? ammo.

Saw a 1942? 91/30 all matching, but badly dirty/worn bbl last week, $95.00

Maybe green mountain or someone could undertake new bbl project: 7.62x53, the bore is usually
.308, which would make good bullets/ammo much more possible. DSA already hammer forges FAL bbls, so blanks shouldn't be all that much work.

bigbear
05-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Get one of the refurb sniper rifles if you can find one and afford it. They go for $700 up here. You get an authentic military sniper rifle, matching scope (3x) and mount, triggers usually smoothed, great shooting rifle. You will spend near that amount to scope a Mosin with aftermarket kit. Many of the bores on ones I've seen look new.

Bucking the Tiger
05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Look for the Polish made rifles also. They are 1944 carbine models with built bayonet, and are usually finely made( by comparison). They were made post war( 1950's date on reciever). I bought one a few years ago like new for $150 and ended up giving it to my twin brother. I shot it this weekend again and it was fun.

I'll Make Mine
05-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Get one of the refurb sniper rifles if you can find one and afford it. They go for $700 up here. You get an authentic military sniper rifle, matching scope (3x) and mount, triggers usually smoothed, great shooting rifle. You will spend near that amount to scope a Mosin with aftermarket kit. Many of the bores on ones I've seen look new.

Nonsense -- pay $150 to $200 for a 91/30 in good condition, and you can buy and mount a "scout scope" setup for under $100; if you're capable of some very basic work (drilling and tapping a single hole in the sight base without going through into the bore -- lots of metal there to work in, should be easy) you can make a setup like the one in the other current Mosin thread (should be right above or below this thread) for under $20 and mount a $50 scope; improvise a cheek pad to raise your eye line to match the scope, add a recoil pad ($15 or so), do a little research on improving the Mosin trigger (easy stuff to do and costs almost nothing), shim the action and scrape the barrel channel to float the barrel -- in other words, put in two or three hours of work in place of money -- and you can have a Mosin that shoots like a sniper and can still be put back to original appearance in minutes, for under $300 total outlay, even with today's increasing prices for the rifles.

Hang Fire
05-13-2013, 11:07 AM
im looking to buy a Mosin Nagant in the next few weeks
so can you tell me what i should i look for is there a certain
year that i should look for thanks for your help and tips
on this

In one word: Finnish

truckjohn
05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
It depends on whether you want to COLLECT or whether you want to SHOOT.... Frequently, the most highly desirable, collectible rifles are that way because of low production numbers or uncommon markings - NOT because of a pristine barrel....

Assuming you want to shoot....
First and foremost is the BARREL... This trumps 100% of everything else... You want a barrel with SHARP, shiny lands and grooves. NO muzzle wear, Crisp, sharp rifling at the muzzle... If you need to refresh yourself with what this looks like - look down the barrel of a brand new Factory rifle, then look down an old Mil-Surp barrel.... You don't want to see a worn shadow of rifling at the muzzle, rounded lands, dark, haze, pitting, etc...

Next is to stack the deck in your favor by choosing a rifle that's more likely to shoot well given an excellent barrel....

Russian Mosins with excellent barrels are like hen's teeth... My experience is that with non-snipers - about 5% have "Excellent" barres.... Snipers and Ex-snipers are probably 40%... Don't let that prevent you from looking.... just know the odds and BUY IT if you see one with a perfect barrel. These tend to be AWESOME shooters that will hang in there with the best of anything else...

This takes us to Finn rifles...
91/30's, M91's, M39's, M28's, and M27's... Far less common than the Garden Variety Russian 91/30... Significantly more expensive... The odds of finding an "Excellent" barrel is >50%.... They also tended to be adjusted for accuracy by the Finn Armorers.... A Scoped M39 with an excellent barrel can shoot 1/2 to 3/4" groups... and the accuracy with iron sights will be limited by YOUR skill - not the rifle....

Thanks