PDA

View Full Version : RCBS JR3 for swaging?

USMCamp0811
04-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I've come across a used JR3 and was wonder if I could use this for swagging? I've been trying to do some research and can't seem to find a definitive answer. Seems like the handle is too short and I might not get enough leverage.

Bent Ramrod
04-27-2013, 04:36 PM
If you are going to make any considerable number of bullets, you really need the compound leverage feature, as well as the "O" frame. It not only saves wear and tear on your arm, but it is easier set to "top out" without relying on the "feel" of the handle. This results in more consistent pressures and point diameters on the bullets you make, which should show up as better targets.

shooterg
04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I used a JR for a while as a dedicated derimming press. WAAAY too much effort, wouldn't even attempt swaging jacketed bullets on it.
"Course, now I have Corbin's, happy,happy,happy!

Safeshot
04-27-2013, 07:24 PM
You might want to contact the RCBS Customer Service or Technical Personnel and ask them. It would be interesting to hear what they say.

Sasquatch-1
04-28-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a JR press that I would not consider using for swaging. I also have a RC Supreme That I broke within a month while swaging. If you have the funds available, do your self a favor and buy one of the Corbins dedicated swaging presses. It will make a world of difference.

You will be much happier with one of these: http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=81&from=36

USMCamp0811
04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm gonna probably trade my father for his Rock Chucker since he is gonna be getting some of the bullets I'll be making... If not then I'll be getting a Classic Cast