PDA

View Full Version : we got one

Bullshop
09-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Just in for a few minutes to drop off a load of fire wood and resupply. Have been out at camp for a week. Will have some pics of camp when season ends in a week. Got an 11 point bull and Jr. is hoping to fill his tag. The 405 with hard cast soft nose worked splendidly. God willing will give all detales in a week.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Bass Ackward
09-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Atta boy.

Hoping for junior.

475/480
09-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Well done Bullshop,we do need pics :D:

Sean

Ivantherussian03
09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
It is nice feeling to have the freezer uh. Good Job[smilie=1:

Bullshop
09-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Got a few pic's from our camp.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010035.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010034.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010033.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010032.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010028-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010029.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010027-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010026-2.jpg

Bullshop
09-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Sorry for the oversize pic's We spent a good part of summer here getting out wood and setting up camp.
#1 is me on duty in our look out tree, #2 is the moose wagon that made recovery soooo easy. #3 is view of hunting area from ground level. #4 is Jr flippin cakes. #5 is view of cook camp from look out tree. #6 is look out tree. #7 and 8 is view of hunting area from look out tree.
It was a fun two weeks and exciting like the night our camp was surrounded by howling wolves.
Will try to add some detale later. Lots of catch up work now.
BIC/BS
OH yea BTW our bull came from left center in #8 about 1 click out from the tree.

JDL
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Great pix, love the scenery. Thanks for posting! -JDL

jhalcott
09-20-2007, 06:41 PM
A guy could ALMOST get lonely up there!

MGySgt
09-22-2007, 05:31 PM
No pics of the harvest?

6pt-sika
09-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Being as the likely hood of me ever killing a moose is slim to none ,
would really like to see some pictures of bullwinkle after his demise :-D

Bullshop
09-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Sorry folks I didnt get any pic of moose. I had been getting the crew up at first light for better than a week as we had been camping before season started. We had been getting out a good size load of wood each day for several days running so on that morning I deceided to let the boys sleep in.
I was up the tree sippin coffie when I saw a real nice bull away out in the swail. I didnt take too long to gather up stuff and lit out without a camera.
I was on the ball enough to grab my skinning kit though.
When I thought I had gone far enough down the creek to come out where I saw the bull I found I had overshot the location and gone past him. Now looking back I found I was glassing right into the sun and couldnt see a thing for the glare. I had to cross the swale and make a bit of a loop and get the sun to my back. By this time I couldnt find the bull. I knew he was somewhere near but I couldnt find him. As I worked my way to each little patch of spruce to find solid footing I would glass but couldnt find him.
At that point I stoped for a moment and asked of the Lord, if this be your will Lord then let it be done. As soon as I stepped out of the trees there was a spike less than 150 yards away but I hadnt seen it earlier. I felt I was being tested. Would I take the spike that seemed to be His will or would I be greedy and go for the big impresive bull. I grabbed an old spruce scrubb for a rest and shot the spike. It seemed like the right thing to do.
I should have taken the camera again today. I took the boys rabbit hunting today in the same area. We saw lots of moose several being bulls. We also had quite a day shooting rabbits. When we got home and counted we had 41 rabbits. Maybe if I can remember we can get a few pics of some nice bulls next time we go out. Our camp is 24 miles from our house so not too far but it will be snowed in soon. The only pics I can take of this one now will be in the freezer.
BIC/BS

6pt-sika
09-23-2007, 01:52 AM
What did your moose wagon start life as ? A Jeep CJ-7 or 8 by chance ?

JDL
09-23-2007, 10:51 AM
How much wood to get you through the winter? -JDL

Bullshop
09-23-2007, 01:56 PM
6pt-sika
I am not sure about the moose wagon as its not ours. The two kind fellas that had it told us its on a 4wd 1 ton frame. Those tires are on 24" rims and that thing would walk over about anything.
It was just a coinsidance that the day before there camp was in need of fire wood that we freely provided in abundance. Just as I and the Jr's were headed out to recover moose the fellas showed up with the wagon. I commented that he could make this real easy for me and he said, sure no problem. I pointed out to my boys that there was a lesson to be learned there.
JDL
We have four stoves in our house and two outside for our summer kitchen. Two of those are water boilers one inside and one out. We burn wood year round and use about 15 full cord per year. It takes us better than 2/3 of that total to get through a winter.
BIC/BS

Bret4207
09-25-2007, 01:40 PM
The Moose Wagon looks like and old Dodge WC or Power Wagon. Looks like ya had a good time.

Larry Gibson
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Just returned on the 23rd from the Donnelly Training area up at Fort Greelly, Alaska. On the morning of the 22nd around 0700 I had just left OP5 after watching a breath taking view of of a crisp clear dawn breaking over the Delta River and the sun rising against the Titan (Tritan?) Mountains with a fresh layer of snow covering them. As an OC I was following about 100 meters behind a couple of our Iraqi Americans, who were supposed to get ambushed by Styker infantry, south on the OP road toward OP6. One of the guys started getting really exited pointing to the side and they really started hoofing it down the road. When I got to where he was pointing I saw a very large bull laying about 35-40 eters off the road with two cows. He had 3 brow tines on the left and 4 tines on the right and probably went 50+ inches. The boys were carrying AKs with blanks but I was carrying my Colt Anaconda .44 and the thought did cross my mind. But also the bull was nice and peaceful so I walked on....... We'd seen lots of moose during my stay there since the 11th. Even had to check fire on four Strykers during the live fire for two bulls who were walking behind the targets. Even saw a cow and calf in downtown Anchorage about 1300 on the 23rd on our way to the airport. Beautiful drive from Fairbanks down the Fort Richardson Highway through Delta Junction, over the pass into Copper River valley and over that pass into Anchorage. I do this training next year I'm laying on a hunting trip at the end what with the company paying the transportation and me having to bring guns anyways. Didn't have time to get it layed on this year.

Larry Gibson

Bullshop
09-26-2007, 02:00 AM
Larry
You were that close and you didnt stop by, I am hurt. BTW west side of the road in the Donnaly training area is off limits to taking moose. The boundry line is the Delta river and Donnaly creek to the south. Thats why you see so many big bulls there that dont seem to care about people. Next year you better stop by. We can take you out to our moose camp and show you more real nice country. We are license vendors for the state so we can fix you up with a tag too.
BIC/BS

Larry Gibson
09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Bullshop

Where ARE you in Alaska, it IS a fair to Midland size state! I picked up a copy of the game regs at the sporting goods store in Delta Junction and got a good read. Appears a few of the locals were preturbed that the range and training areas on the west side of the Delta River were closed due to the military exercise. Wish I'd of known you were close by.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson

Bullshop
09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Larry
I can see Donally dome from my house. Its about 25 miles as the boolit flies. Is that close enough? When you guys are out playing I can hear the thunder. It rattles the windows in my house.
BIC/BS

Larry Gibson
09-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Damn, I was right there. We shacked up at The Bunk House there in Delta Junction.....should be another trip north so I'll sure give you a call!

Larry Gibson

Bullshop
10-02-2007, 01:05 PM
10/2/ 07 and its snowing. Yahoo, God willing we will be going back to came after wolf soon.
Yesterday I butchered up some of the moose taken with the 405Win and the 410gn NEI/DD hard cast soft nose. These boolits were made at about 50/50, half pure lead soft nose and half quenched WW base.
The load was the same one posted earlier in a differant thread. It was pushing this boolit at 2000 fps. Some may recall the penitration test done on a 3/8" steel plate and how it drilled a perfect clean hole through.
Range was about 125 yards, and the shot was at an angle from the rear. The hit was high of neccessity as the moose are almost always in head high to me willow and alder brush. It hit the near sholder and exited at the base of the neck on the off side. I like that shot when I cant really see the lower body.
From what I could tell the hard/soft boolit worked very well indeed. The wound channel was masive. There was a 40 cal hole on the off side and we found part of the soft nose in a half ring shape along with the gas check under the hide on the off side right at the exit hole.
I am posting a picture of the most completely shattered moose sholder I have ever seen. This was the on side sholder where the boolit hit. There was significant meet loss here, BUMMER! I now feel that a 50/50 was a bit too much for the soft nose %. Maybe about 70% hard and 30% soft which is what I made for the 416 Rem mag Ruger #1, but have not used it yet. May have a go at caribou with that in a bit, but does seem a bit over kill. But for the sake of CB knolage.
Anyway I am much closer to understanding TR's affection for the BIG MEDISEN 405 Win.
BIC/BS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010045.jpg