PDA

View Full Version : question for those with rossi 357 lever gun

gonefishin
04-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I have been looking for a lever action 357 and I like the price of the rossi. at some point I may put a scope but not sure. so with it being the top eject does this ever get in the way of the scope? and does it eject straight up or to the side like the newer Winchesters? I am thinking I want the 20 inch but is there much different in velocity with the 24?
thanks guys

sparky45
04-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I just got one last week. I really like the way it shoots. I did some mods; springs and mag follower. I have the 20" with octagonal barrel and it runs real good with both 357 and 38 special.

R.Ph. 380
04-26-2013, 11:03 PM
I got one 2 months ago and have yet to shoot it. My friend and I are having his brother(gunsmith) fabricate large loop levers for them. 24" Blued Octagonal barrel. Coming back in 2 weeks. Waitin's hard.

Bill

ironhead7544
04-27-2013, 04:41 PM
The late model carbines are drilled and tapped for a scout mount. People who use them are generally satisfied with the setup.

gonefishin
04-27-2013, 09:23 PM
thanks guys for the help I was kinda hoping they would go to the right a little and yea the 24 was an octagon that I was looking at. they didn't have a 20 inch in stock so I will keep looking around until I find a 20 inch. I don't think there is much of a need for a scope on a 357 but nice to know its possible.

fecmech
04-27-2013, 09:50 PM
The 20" round bbl is the only one D&T'd for a mount and that is a scout type mount ahead of the action and requires a pistol or EER scout scope. Ejection is irrelevant as the scope body is ahead of the action. Only Marlins and Winchester angle ejects allow normal scope mounting over the action.

missionary5155
04-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Greetings Gonefishin
Ranch Dog started a Forum called Rossi Rifleman that well addresses the Rossi 's.
Some had real challenges straight out of the box. Happily most arrive at homes shootable and only need a cleaning to remove the "extra" metal shavings and left over burrs.
RD's Forum well describes Rossi problems and easy home fixes.
Mike in Peru.. If I could only get a caliber .357 here.

Gee_Wizz01
04-27-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a 44 Mag and a 45 Colt, and they both eject straight up. My 16" colt carbine is D&T'd for the barrel mounted scope mount. They require the use of a pistol scope or other long eye relief scope. Many years ago a saw Win M92 that had a side mount scope. I haven't seen a side mount in years though. If you mounted a scope centered over the receiver, you would have problems with the ejected brass hitting the scope.

Gary

jlchucker
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
I would get that 24" octagon and whack 4" off of it. Short octagon are nice.

Doesn't Rossi still make a "short rifle" with a 20 inch octagon barrel in 357? I know they used to offer them in most of their calibers.

BCRider
04-29-2013, 12:55 PM
When the guys are saying that they come out and go to the right it's not by much at all. I shoot a slicked up version in cowboy action and a lot of the empties land on my hat. The angle to the right can't be more than about 10 degrees from vertical.

So all in all a scope over the action in the usual spot would be a mess. It'll require a side mount, drilling the reciever, need to be mounted higher than optimum or offset to the side to allow for ejection of the casings. All in all if you want to scope a small lever rifle then I'd say spend a little more and find a Marlin. It'll be a lot less trouble and a lot neater an installation than it would be on a Rossi or other Winchester 1892 clone.

gonefishin
04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Well I went to my lgs today and still no 20 inch but held the 16 it was just too short for me. I really don't think I will ever scope it I really like the marble rear sight. might get that for the longer shots... I have been checking out that other site and read some good stuff

PhatForrest
04-30-2013, 03:47 AM
Picked up a blued 16" carbine early last year. Wanted a 20" but none were to be had, my dealer's connections at Jerry's Sports found one that had been squirreled away.

Very handy little gun that's not intimidating for new shooters. Fires Lee 158's in 38 and 357 no problem.

cajun shooter
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Contact Steve Young in Texas as he is known as the Rossi lever action Guru. Steve has been in business for years and services the cowboy action crowd. I have purchased two guns from him. He sells a video about the Rossi that every owner should have even if you don't shoot cowboy. It shows you how to break the rifle down and how to do a action job if needed. He also sells guns.
If you are not in competition then the 24 inch barrel is a very nice rifle. It is however too long for cowboy shooting for most people. The Marlin rifle throws it's empties to the front right of the shooter and the Rossi's to the right rear. Later David

Four Fingers of Death
05-01-2013, 11:12 PM
The Marlin rifle throws it's empties to the front right of the shooter and the Rossi's to the right rear. Later David

My Rossi 92 in 357 throws the cases up and to the right and if I am using new shiny brass, just to show how smart a rifle it is and what a sense of humour it has, will fling them forward and downrange so that I lose a few. But I tolerate this little quirk, because it is probably the best (and cheapest) rifle I have ever owned, too much fun!

outdoorfan
05-02-2013, 07:19 AM
When the guys are saying that they come out and go to the right it's not by much at all. I shoot a slicked up version in cowboy action and a lot of the empties land on my hat. The angle to the right can't be more than about 10 degrees from vertical.

I just slicked up my Rossi .357, and it's throwing the cases back at me just like you say.

Iron Mike Golf
05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Had mine about a year now. Shoots great and I cast 358429s and 358477s for it. I put a used Swift 2x pistol scope on mine and it works great for me.

I got the tuneup DVD from Stevez and a few aftermarket parts: ejector spring, magazine follower, trigger spring, hammer spring. I also replaced the safety with a peep sight.

This is one of my favorite guns.

searcher4851
05-06-2013, 11:01 PM
I own a 20" round barrel and a 24" octagon barrel '92 in .357. Neither one is a candidate for a scope mounted over the receiver since the brass ejects much more upward than to the right.