PDA

View Full Version : SK vs BSquare Garand mount

cheese1566
04-26-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a M1 Garand and acquired a BSquare scope mount for it a while ago. I mounted, but never attached a scope, then put the iron back on.
I just picked up a SK mount in superb shape (style without the rings). I see it has a basic peep in the design, but no way to adjust for windage- just elevation .

It will be a while before I mount a scope on the old girl since my eyes are still allowing it. (Plus I don't have a scope to put on it!)

Anoyone have first hand experience with one or both systems?

nicholst55
04-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Probably 30 years ago I had the opportunity to try both company's M1A scope mounts. The SK mount was a better design, IMHO. No experience with their M1 Garand mounts.

Ed in North Texas
04-28-2013, 08:48 AM
I don't have experience with the S&K on a Garand, but I do have some experience with their mounts. The S&K mounts I've encountered were steel (vs. aluminum for B-Square), so they add some weight to the rifle (not really an issue when dealing with the weight of a military rifle). I do like the ability of the mount to add some windage adjustment to the setup (to the scope mounts, I don't know about any integral receiver sight as the windage adjustment is in the set screws which hold the rings and I've not seen the integral receiver type mount to know where it is located).

Given a choice between the two, and weight and money not being issues, I'd go with the S&K.

cheese1566
04-28-2013, 11:22 AM
I thought SK's were all steel also...I held a magnet to it, but the only attraction was the large crossbolt that goes through the Garand base. There is no windage adjustements for the scope side, I was thinking there may be one for the peep that is integrated into it. I do see in the overall design though, that there could be some vertical adjustment on how the set screws are tightened.

I like the looks of the SK, but wonder if the BSquare is more stable by design. I guess it depends on the metal used in construction and the type of aluminum.

45 2.1
04-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Neither one is suitable actually. A separate firm makes a mount which replaces the rear hand-guard and clamps to the barrel. You use a long eye relief scope with it and I can't think of the people who make it, but its the same one as Larry has on his carbine.

cheese1566
04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
I think the scout style is probably more suitable and accurate, but I never liked the looks on a Garand, or any gun for that matter. I tried a scout configuration once and didn't care for it.

Plus, I have these two already...and I think it gives a feel (although not even close to the actual) of the Sniper model.

country gent
04-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I installed a block on a garand barrel for mounting a scope. It was a good mount but you had to turn a section of the barrel down to fit it with a shrink fit and precice shoulder length. Then dedicate a rear hand gaurd to it. as the gaurd had to be cut shorter. When done it was a very solid stable mount. The issue with scope sighting garands is the loading of the enblock clip. Scope has to be forward or offset to the side to allow for clip to be inserted ejected. Cse ejection can be an issue also on some rifles. I installed a mount for a club member that used the rear sight mount but in testing it never seemed that solid or repeatable, although the owner was happy with it. After many years as a NRA service rifle competitor ( High Master) I am happy with the iron sights Perfer National match over the service grade. But there are tricks that can be done to the service sight that make it perform much better also. The garands functioning can be pretty brutal on a scope also.