PDA

View Full Version : Bullseye shooters!!!

Smokepole60
04-26-2013, 06:54 PM
I am looking for eye loupes used for bullseye pistol shooting.. Small 1" or so 1 diopter for making pistol sights clear again. I have not had any luck finding them that aren't set up for high magnification applications. Any arrows in the right direction appreciated!

sagamore-one
04-26-2013, 07:10 PM
www.champchoice.com
Champion Choice carries both the Gehman and the Merit.

Smokepole60
04-26-2013, 07:44 PM
Many thanks!

ole 5 hole group
04-26-2013, 08:10 PM
It's a lot more expensive, but I think you'll do better with prescription glasses. I went to my D.O. with my 1911 and he fit me up with a pair of shooting glasses that makes the iron sights sharp and the target at 25/50 out to 200 yards is also sharp. These glasses aren't bifocals either - I just wish I would have went the prescription glass route 25 years earlier.

wv109323
04-26-2013, 09:00 PM
The corrective lens you are referring to was the Clearsight. The owner of that lens went out of business several years ago.
You can go the reading glass route if you do not have astigmatism. Also there are corrective lens that clip on your glasses like flip up sun glasses which are the same corrective power as reading glasses.
I would be cautious about the aperture correction. The aperture works in theory but the only place you can see is through the tiny hole. I have one and could not use it. I could not pick my sights up in timed and rapid fire through the aperture. I am a right hand shooter and my left eye is dominant. That means I must cover my left eye with an ocular and my only vision was through the aperture on my right eye. With this set up I could not find my sights during T&R fire.. I would try punching a hole in a piece of card board and taping it to my glasses to see if I liked it and could use it before investing my $$$$.

TCFAN
04-26-2013, 09:38 PM
It's a lot more expensive, but I think you'll do better with prescription glasses. I went to my D.O. with my 1911 and he fit me up with a pair of shooting glasses that makes the iron sights sharp and the target at 25/50 out to 200 yards is also sharp. These glasses aren't bifocals either - I just wish I would have went the prescription glass route 25 years earlier.

I just got back from picking my glasses up that i had made for pistol shooting.I told the doctor that I wanted a set of lenses to go in a old set of frames that I had. He set the focus at arms length plus 6 inches.I have not been able to see the front sight on pistols this good for at least 25 years.The target is still plenty clear at 50 yards or more..........Terry

Smokepole60
04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
Yeah the merits discs are ok but after trying a 1 diopter low power lense my sights cleared right up.. I didn't realize how fuzzy the sights on my fav bullseye pistol actually were...

300winmag
04-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I have to figure this one out, O.K when I wear my reading glasses I can see the sights on my pistol, front and rear but then past 3 feet is fuzzy. With reading glasses the rear sight on rifle is clear but front sight is fuzzy, scopes worked for that fix. Prescription lenses can fix this. Thanks for the info. I have only been wearing reading glasses the last couple of years, I do have prescription bi-focal, its all new to me and a learning process.
Thanks again

Forrest r
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I like to use real shooting glasses myself. The lens can easily be made at any of the eyeglass outlets. It's nice to have more than 1 lens/dopter, the cs is for rifle & the Varga's are for pistol .

MtGun44
04-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Lyman Hawkeye works great.

Bill