PDA

View Full Version : Lodge melter for casting

repawn
04-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi all,

Picked up a Lodge cast iron melting pot - would like to use it to get feet wet with casting?
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/27/apyne4ep.jpg
Anyone else use this or similar product? I realize it isn't very large - is there anything I need to do before using it - ie cleaning the factory seasoning or anything? Thanks all

boltons75
04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Add alloy and go, any seasoning should burn off and perhaps work as a flux.

montana_charlie
04-26-2013, 10:11 PM
I use one like that to ladle alloy into ingot moulds, but I put a long handle on it.

Big_Blue
04-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Make sure you can lift it smoothly when its full of wheel weights. You'll be amazed at how heavy that sucker will be when it's full of alloy.

repawn
04-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - I may try to put a wooden handle on it - in general I will be melting ingots for casting and using a lee ladle to fill my molds - I hope to not have to lift it while it is full of lead.

montana_charlie
04-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - I may try to put a wooden handle on it - in general I will be melting ingots for casting and using a lee ladle to fill my molds - I hope to not have to lift it while it is full of lead.
I partially flattened the end of a 24-inch length of black iron pipe to make it oval.
I think it was three quarter inch pipe, but I don't remember for sure.

That oval shape let the handle of the ladle slide in snugly, and I put a screw through the pipe in a location lined up with the hole in the cast iron handle.

I wouldn't trust a 'stick' jury-rigged to the ladle.

Big_Blue
04-27-2013, 01:56 AM
I ladle out the bulk of my alloy, but that last muffin or two requires that I heft the pot up and pour as carefully as I can. The design on that pot you've got will make that last bit of pouring much easier.

I at first ordered the ten pound pot from Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/610780/lyman-lead-pot-cast-iron), but it was so dinky (about one pint) that I sent it back. I bought a much larger (2.9 gallon or 275 pounds of lead) 14" pot at Academy Sporting goods (http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27870_-1?ICID=CRT:0269-40251-0003) which I found to be more useful.

I find that I can pour 12 1.5 pound muffins in the length of time it takes the previous 12 muffins to cool enough to pop them out. That means I'm alternating two 12 muffin pans. Each pan holds 18 pounds of alloy so at any given time I'm manipulating a minimum of 36 pounds of lead. Even with this large pot it takes me 15 muffin pan fills to use up all the alloy in that one pot.

In hind sight a 12" pot (http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_27876_-1?ICID=CRT:0269-40251-0007) might have been more practical.

cbrick
04-27-2013, 07:45 AM
The small bottom on the pan in your picture would worry me a great deal. It just doesn't look stable and seems like it would tip over very easily.

Rick

dragon813gt
04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
The small bottom on the pan in your picture would worry me a great deal. It just doesn't look stable and seems like it would tip over very easily.

Rick

Same here. A wide flat bottom is a lot safer. I know they cost more money. But if you stick w/ it you will eventually buy a dutch oven.

repawn
04-27-2013, 09:13 AM
I had considered the bottom being an issue it is pretty stable but I will be extra careful - I figured using this to get started would be ok - if it turns out I like casting I can get something bigger - but still have this pot for pouring ingots.

Dusty Bannister
04-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Rick
=====================
I use the bottom half of freon tanks for my smelting and find that a ring of strap iron of the proper size gives very good support to the container. Make the ring just large enough to fit around the base and very slightly hold the base of your pot off the metal grate. That will give a wider and more stable base. When you are stiring and scraping, you create a lot of movement in that pot and it must not dump over. Seriously, do what you need to do to make it tip proof. Dusty

mold maker
04-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Even pouring the last from a dutch oven will allow the liquid lead to over balance the pot, spilling the contents. Thats why I recommend allowing the last 1/2" to cool in place. It also makes the next melt much faster.