PDA

View Full Version : Original Turret Press?

Persuader
04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintage-Hollywood-Gun-Shop-Turret-Tool-Reloading-Press-loading-rifle-pistol-/350779188163?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ac11a3c3

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-26-2013, 02:20 PM
WOW, Not being a collector, seems to me if someone has really bid $500 for that press, this Ol'Coot figures they have a great deal more dollars then sense.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Chilmonty
04-26-2013, 02:26 PM
The word "Vintage" seems to be worth at least $400 to the item your selling on FeeBay!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Then being the "Vintage" Ol'Coot that I am. I must be approaching priceless! [smilie=w:

CDOC

Duckiller
04-26-2013, 04:36 PM
$500.00 for that press is not too far out of line. More than I would bid. New they are over $1000.00.

Gearhead1
04-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Remember guys, it's a Hollywood and the price is always high for them. Probably another person just trying to make a profit.To pay a bill.

Kevin Rohrer
04-26-2013, 10:59 PM
What is meant by 'Original Turret Press'? The design was patented in or after 1960. There are far older turret presses than this design.

The pictured press looks to be aluminum. I, along with others here have this model in cast iron, which is more desirable. Mine is worth >$700 in its present condition.

Alvarez Kelly
04-26-2013, 11:04 PM
I just sold an aluminum frame one for $660 at auction. To be honest, I was expecting more.

Kevin Rohrer
04-27-2013, 10:08 AM
That's the difference between made-of-iron and made-of-aluminum. Market swings also may have had something to do with the final price, and the physical appearance also affects the selling price.

HeavyMetal
04-27-2013, 11:04 AM
I agree on the peaks and valleys in reloading gear!
Hollywoods really do hold thier value but in this case I think we have a scrounger just trying to make a buck.

Reason I think that?

Click the mouse over the picture and it allows a magnifiyed view of the press, this thing is rusty and crusty and hasn't been used in awhile, leading me to belive thiis is a "Barn Find" not a piece of equipment owned by a reloader.

Don't fault him for making a buck but I do fault those who would pay this price for abused equipment.

Kevin Rohrer
04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Don't fault him for making a buck but I do fault those who would pay this price for abused equipment.

Some don't know any better and are buying the name. Some realize that these presses are no longer made and are paying whatever price they need to, to get a piece of reloading history. And are we owners know, they cleanup pretty well. [smilie=p:

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
$500.00 for that press is not too far out of line. More than I would bid. New they are over $1000.00.

Sorry " New" ones are no longer made and have not been for many years.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Senior Turret ? Currenty made under a new regime.

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Hollywoods really do hold thier value but in this case I think we have a scrounger just trying to make a buck.

Click the mouse over the picture and it allows a magnifiyed view of the press, this thing is rusty and crusty and hasn't been used in awhile, leading me to belive thiis is a "Barn Find" not a piece of equipment owned by a reloader.

Well the seller may be a "scounger" and may be trying to make a buck. I doubt this is a scrounge find. If anyone bothered to look at the seller's name you would see that he is one of our respected members, Skeetex, always offering to help anyone out.

Also, "Hollywood guys" here on the forum will know that this is PROBably not a barn find. Skeetex, posted pics of his passel of Hollywoods some time back. Sad as it was, they were neglected.

And yes, he IS a reloader.

Good Selling Mike

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
AK - you picked a great time to sell. Normally you would not have gotten near that much.

Alvarez Kelly
04-27-2013, 03:44 PM
AK - you picked a great time to sell. Normally you would not have gotten near that much.

What got to me was the horribly repainted (in my opinion) ones that sold for $890 and $950. One just before I listed mine, and one just after. I guess "pretty" trumps original when it comes to getting the big bucks.

LUBEDUDE
04-27-2013, 04:11 PM
What got to me was the horribly repainted (in my opinion) ones that sold for $890 and $950. One just before I listed mine, and one just after. I guess "pretty" trumps original when it comes to getting the big bucks.

I agree totally. I am amazed how a shiney coat of paint can turn folks heads.

Pre- Panic, there was a certain press that would not bring over $30-$35 bucks on average. One guy offered one painted shiney black and it went for over $100!!!