PDA

View Full Version : to cut or not is done!

nekshot
04-26-2013, 10:46 AM
I thank all of you for your input last week on this project, I lost vision for it but after hearing the various thoughts I found what I needed to finish this gun. I started out wanting to copy a jaeger military carbine and the wood I had was only 6 inches by 1 7/8 by 44 inches. Here it is with the front octagon band and all other stuff done except for metal finishing. I ordered the Laurel mountain browning which I understand I can turn the metal to black. Puffs of white smoke will soon follow. For other novices like me I buy pieces of this and that for next to nothing and try to use what I can. That is how I got the barrel, lock and trigger. Mauser rear sling, butt plate ground to fit and cheap metal strap material for front band. Ordered a brass rod that will become the ram rod. I have very little money in this (the brass rod is most expensive thing ) and I learned a whole lot. Found the book waksupi suggested and now after much reading we go for the sacrilegious flinter!
nekshot68499

fouronesix
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Tell you what, given how it was done and the materials at hand, I like it! Also, glad to see you kept the "musket" look. Well done

Report back on how it shoots.

johnson1942
04-26-2013, 02:07 PM
you grew up dirt poor like i did,i bet, as you learned to make something out of nothing,. thanks for shareing it with all of us. make it shoot good and keep it clean and it will become a good friend.

fouronesix
04-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Here's some "musket" front ends for future reference or ideas in case at some point you want to refine the design. M1861, P53, Rem Zouave M1863, M1841

bstarling
04-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I love that gun. Nice work and original thought and design. I love making things from scrap and discards. Some folk would call my raw materials junk, but I look at them as something with a future life.

Bill

OverMax
04-27-2013, 05:07 AM
Well. I guess there goes the idea of using a bayonet. Kind of reminds me of a canoe rifle. (Much more practical no doubt.) Have a question? I know rifles and shotguns barrels have to be 16" in length. Does that Law apply to muzzle loaders too.?

Hanshi
04-27-2013, 12:58 PM
I like it. It appears to be a neat, little, minimalist rifle. Way to go.

skratch
04-28-2013, 07:33 PM
I like it ! A tip on the Laurel Mountain browning solution. After preparing the metal rub the solution on with a long wipe one time only. If you rub it several times it will turn a copper color, I know from experience. :-?

nekshot
04-29-2013, 08:55 AM
thanks for the pic's of the bands. After reading the "Gunsmith of Grenville county" I have to admit that intricate work is over my head (maybe 30 years ago I could have). The consequences of the back injuries have really deteriated my ability to do fine work. However I have found I love the military musket thing and now am trying to make a jig to form front bands and that brass sheet metal work. The Laurel Mountain solution is a awesome product.
nekshot