PDA

View Full Version : How to make a breech seater

Black Prince
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Does breech seating the bullet improve anything as far as accuracy goes and have any of you boys tried it? Somewhere I read that you can make a breech seater by drilling out the end of a cartridge case and inserting a "rod" through the hole that is the exact length to seat the bullet into the breech at whatever depth you want to. I assume that once the "rod" is flush with the base of the case that is what stops the bullet from being driven in any more and thus determines the seating depth for any particular bullet. Is the "rod" made of brass or some particular metal or does it matter since it will be contained inside the cartridge case? What prevents the "rod" from deforming the bullet base? Does the diameter of the rod matter? It would seem to me the larger the rod diameter, the less 'play" there would be and maybe less bullet base deformation. How far is typical, or is there a "typical" breech seating depth? I've seen the figure 1/8 inch talked about.

Do any of you boys know how to do this and if so, please set me straight on how to accomplish this in a 40-65. Then tell me the loading procedure once the bullet is breech seated. I assume that the case is loaded and the wad is seated so that when the case is closed up in the action, the powder column is snug against the bullet base as it would be in any normal cartridge.

I've never done any breech seating but would like to try it. If any of yawl know how to make a breech seater and know how to do this, it shore would help me a lot if you'd explain it or post photo's if you have'm cause all I know is what I've been able to read and it ain't exactly clear to me how it all works. In fact, I ain't clear on why this is better than the normal loading and shooting given that I seat the bullet out to engage the lands when the action is closed which is what I am doing now. In fact. when I close the breech on my rifle and then attempt to extract the case, the case comes out but leaves the bullet firmly stuck in the lands and I have to use a rod to drive it out, so I'm sticking that sucker in there about as much as I can given the minimun (if any at all) caming done by a Browning highwall action. I am shooting black powder loads in this rifle using Ron Snovers 400 grain bullet if that helps any or does that matter?

Somebody hep me heah.

Arnie
09-06-2007, 11:57 PM
I suggest you go to a site for Schuetzen rifles since this is the way they load almost exclusively .You will see tools for breach seating on those sites and you could probably do a Google search of breach seating bullets.The bullets they use are tapered to match the lead built into the barrel just ahead of the chamber or they are bore size such as in paper patch bullets .Arnie

Arnie
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
check this site out ,theres a breach seating tool right under the highwall next to the bullet mould http://www.blackpowderspg.com/

Black Prince
09-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks Arnie.

4060MAY
09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Black Prince
Usually, but not always, A breach seated bullet is tapered or multi diameter's, to fit the barrel and throat, aligining the bullet with the bore.
Generally the bullet is about .060 in front of the case, if this is what your gun likes.
To use the breach seater shown in the picture referenced above, the bullet has to fit well or it will not go in the barrel. the seater shown doesn't have any camming action, just B.F. I. (brute force and ignorance).

I use two styles of breach seaters, a Russ Weber one that has the same linckage as a rockchucker press, and a solid case with a lever that hooks on my rear sight base.

The long lever is my seater, using a solid case.
put bullet in chamber, insert case, hook seater on the rear sight and crank it into the rifling.

Hope this helps

Black Prince
09-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Usually but not always?? Then why bother? This is begining to sound like too much sugar for a nickel. I think I'll just stay with what I'm doing now and the heck with this breech seating business. Buffalo hunters didn't use it, so maybe I can get by without using it.

Thanks for your reply. You saved me a lot of time, money and aggravation sounds like.

45 2.1
09-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Usually but not always?? Then why bother? This is begining to sound like too much sugar for a nickel. I think I'll just stay with what I'm doing now and the heck with this breech seating business. Buffalo hunters didn't use it, so maybe I can get by without using it.

Thanks for your reply. You saved me a lot of time, money and aggravation sounds like.

The difference between getting the boolit lined up with the bore or not is usually the difference between ho-hum accuracy and superlative accuracy. Ho-hum being 1.5 MOA and superlative being 0.5 MOA. Lots of angles to consider here if your going to do it with BP. I've watched that difference proven many times in cast boolit matches.

felix
09-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Not only BP, but WP also. If it ain't all concentric, it ain't gonna' shoot at all without mucho' work on the boolit, powder, primer, etc. to force things into alignment before the projectile leaves the gun. Hopefully, the boolit does not get *****'ed in the process. ... felix

Freightman
10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I watch the men at the range shoot at 200 yds better groups than I shoot at 100 yds, there is something to breech seating. I am looking into it myself, looks like the next step in the ultimate accuracy quest.

45 2.1
10-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I watch the men at the range shoot at 200 yds better groups than I shoot at 100 yds, there is something to breech seating. I am looking into it myself, looks like the next step in the ultimate accuracy quest.

I've described the process of getting proper alignment and accuracy in this thread;
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20344&page=7
Have a look.

MT Gianni
10-09-2007, 09:07 AM
The description is done very well too. Thanks 45 2.1.

Buckshot
10-10-2007, 02:16 AM
..................For many years Harry Pope said the most accurate shooting was done by loading the slug at the muzzle and running it down the barrel to it's position above the cartridge case. Our range used to support a group of schuetzen shooters. Barry Darr used to compete there when he was working for SAECO when it was Santa Anita Engineering Co, and also Jesse Smiley, the maker of Javalina.

Those guys were in no rush. They also had loads of neat doo-dads :-). I had a chance to buy a scheutzen rifle once for $700. It was a Winchester Hi-Wall with a Barry Darr octagon bbl in 32-40. The action had the added claws on top for the breech seater tool, and it wore a long old Fecker scope. I thought about it for 2 days and when I called back it was gone.

................Buckshot