PDA

View Full Version : To all Krag Lovers

KCSO
09-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Te 2008 Gun Digest has a great article on Dr. Walter Hudson and his work with the Krag rifle. In the article it goes into the invention of the gas check and cast bullets for the Karg out to 600 yards. I finally found out what my Modern Band mould was made for and why it is so fussy. This is basicly a FAILED attempt to make a target bullet for the Krag. It was made prior to the gas check and it was found that it would not preform at over 1400 fps. It was described as a good gallery range bullet using 2.5- 4.0 grains of the then new UNIQUE powder and the Remington 9 1/2 primer.

One thing that caught my attention was Hudson's assertation that a Krag bore was shot out for long range targets after 1400 rounds. This is why he was so interested in having a cast bullet for practice and mid range matches. This also might explain why we have to shoot a 311 or larger bullet today, most of our Krags have enlarged throats.

SharpsShooter
09-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Te 2008 Gun Digest has a great article on Dr. Walter Hudson and his work with the Krag rifle. In the article it goes into the invention of the gas check and cast bullets for the Karg out to 600 yards. I finally found out what my Modern Band mould was made for and why it is so fussy. This is basicly a FAILED attempt to make a target bullet for the Krag. It was made prior to the gas check and it was found that it would not preform at over 1400 fps. It was described as a good gallery range bullet using 2.5- 4.0 grains of the then new UNIQUE powder and the Remington 9 1/2 primer.

One thing that caught my attention was Hudson's assertation that a Krag bore was shot out for long range targets after 1400 rounds. This is why he was so interested in having a cast bullet for practice and mid range matches. This also might explain why we have to shoot a 311 or larger bullet today, most of our Krags have enlarged throats.

Yeah that might explain why mine eats .313" without a problem and great accuracy too.

SS

NVcurmudgeon
09-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the tip KCSO. I skipped last this year's GD because of "no there, there" but Dr. Hudson, 311284, and above all, the Krag are worth the price of admission.

Bret4207
09-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the tip KCSO. I skipped last this year's GD because of "no there, there" but Dr. Hudson, 311284, and above all, the Krag are worth the price of admission.

I still buy them to add my nearly complete collection, but they ain't what they were when John Amber edited them...

45nut
09-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Mention the ones you are looking for Bret...maybe we can help complete that collection.

Phil
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I don't have many but if I have any you need Bret you're more than welcome to them. I have 1967-94-95-96-2002-04. Let me know.

Cheers,

Phil

Char-Gar
09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Krags are wonderful rifles and can be addicting. Their bore dimensions are all over the place. My two are good examples.

1) I have a first year (1895 I think) production that runs a full .312 in the bore. There is very little throat erosion but it take a .313 bullet to get best accuracy. I have to turn the necks of cases to seat a .313 bullet and still have some clearance in the chamber neck.

2) My 1901 production rifle has a .3094 bore, but a worn throat. It also does best with .313 bullets, but it doesn't require a neck turned case for good clearance.

I have a 1902 production action at my gunsmith now, to have a 2 groove Remington 03A3 barrel fitted. The gunsmith tells me his reamer is cut to fairly tight specs and it will need it's own cases. It will chamber factory ammo, but cases fired in other rifles will need to be full length sized to fit in the tighter chamber.

He also sets the barrel so the bolt guide rib is a lap fit to the side of the receiver. This little rib will be a firm fit with the receiver. This will add a little strength to the action in case of a failure. If the bolt does come back, it won't have a running start before the rib contacts the receiver..a la Williams floating piston.

Bret4207
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks guys the ones I need are the very early editions from 1-9 I think.