PDA

View Full Version : bore slugging "kit" for someone who knows how to use it :)

Fishman
04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
I will be listing three of these "kits" in the swapping and selling, and I decided to give back to the community as well. I don't know if there is a need for this, but I know myself that having a pure lead slug of the right diameter handy is sometimes a challenge. So . . .

I put together a padded envelope with 4 .310", 4 .357", 4 .403", and 4 .454" boolits cast out of pure sheet lead. These are round nose or truncated cone and should start easy in the bore with a little lube.

So if you want this, post up that you want it, and also tell me the reason why you won't be using a wooden dowel to drive them through your bore :)

As per the rules of this forum, I reserve the right to select who gets it, and it won't cost them a dime.

Fishman
04-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Sure is hard to give away stuff any more . . . :)

Fishman
04-27-2013, 08:31 AM
We have a Winner! Thank you all for playing. That was fun and I highly recommend it.

NewbieDave007
04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
So, as a new/want-to-be caster, what's the answer on the wooden dowel? I've been following this thread since you posted it to find out the answer. Thanks.

repawn
04-27-2013, 10:33 AM
So, as a new/want-to-be caster, what's the answer on the wooden dowel? I've been following this thread since you posted it to find out the answer. Thanks.

This! Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Fishman
04-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Here are some threads to check out:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?190547-Slugging-a-barrel&highlight=Dowel

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185917-Barrel-slugging&highlight=Dowel

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?164019-how-to-slug-a-barrel&highlight=Dowel

And the classic sticky:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?102629-Removing-Stuck-Wooden-Dowel-and-Soft-Lead-Sinker-from-a-barrel

In a nutshell, the wooden dowel can break and wedge in the bore. That is a mess. A brass rod is best. Properly protected, an steel or aluminum rod will work. Wrap with tape and cap the end with a small brass case.

I'm going to make up some more kits. I'm going to put another here and list some more in the swap and sell section. It appears that pure lead slugs are in short supply.

Glock Junkie
04-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanx for the links! I learned a lot from reading them. I need to slug my .40 and would have asked for this helping hand but I have gotten a couple of helping hands and wanted someone else to get this one.

I want to try the fill a empty shell case with lead and slug my barrel but I can't find a bullet removal hammer in my area to remove the lead from the shell

khmer6
04-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Mic your cast boolits as they come out of the mold. Some are significantly larger that they can be used to slug

Fishman
04-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Use only pure lead slugs unless you like headaches. Also, you can set the slug on a solid base and whack it with a hammer to enlarge the diameter. Using this technique you can add a few thousandths or even a couple tenths or more in diameter.

I'm making another Helping Hands slugging kit available. PM me with your request and if you are the recipient, you will be able to specify which four different diameter slugs you want and I will include four of each. I'm also going to list several in the swapping and selling section.

NewbieDave007
04-27-2013, 09:45 PM
Wow. Thanks for posting those links. I had watched a few YouTube videos and all of them used wooden dowels, but one did say to cut it into 6-8" lengths.

Thanks.

Fishman
04-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Well I'm far from an expert but I do know where to find the best info on casting in the known universe and you are there. Glad to help.

Fishman
04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok I have one more kit available for free to the next person who PM'd me with the phrase "Helping Hands is awesome" in the title. Tell me which 5 diameters you want, include your address, and it will be mailed tomorrow.

Fishman
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
And the last kit is gone. :) Didn't take long.

Guys, giving stuff away is too much fun. I'm going back to the drawing board to see what else I can come up with. Ever notice it's the little things in life that give you the most joy? I suggest that everyone give it a go at least once to see how they like it.

sparkz
05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Hi Fishman;
I have a few guns I would like to slug,
I have a 7x62 and a 8mm Maulser as well as a 30-30
what would I start with?
as far as maybe making a slug of soft lead?
I have pistol molds in 38/357 can i use a super soft lead slug from it to use for a test slug?

plz lemee know your thoughts so i might try it

if i cant use that maybe il check your S&S deal

Thanks for your time
Patrick & Sean Campbell

Fishman
05-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Sparkz, I dont think I'd try a .358 slug for those rifle calibers. Stay tuned because my son is going to cast up some additional sizes and I will offer more kits in the selling section as well as one here. Should be up in a week