PDA

View Full Version : Marking mould cavity

beemer
09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Has anyone here ever marked one cavity of a double cavity mould? I drop them in different piles but you know what usually happens. I think it would be easier to identify the bullets but I would hate to ruin a good mould. What would be the best way to do this without causing problems?

beemer

Doughty
09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I punch the ogive area, LIGHTLY, with a center punch. One dot on the first cavity, two on the second, and so on. Does it make a difference in group size? I don't know, but it does scratch my anal itch.

NVcurmudgeon
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I use a very sharp, very small, center punch and mark on the ogive of the boolit. If you wish to orient, as well as segregate boolits, you can mark the cavities in two different locations on the ogive, or mark them with one or two dots as I did. If all you are doing is separating cavities, obviously only one cavity need be marked.

Old Ironsights
09-05-2007, 10:21 PM
WHAT!?!?! SHHH dammit! Next thing you know the Anti's will be wanting us to "microstamp" all of OUR boolits too! [smilie=b:

beagle
09-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Another method is to file a SMALL gap on one of the lube rings. This will be covered in lube but you'll be able to tell the difference. The same thing can be done in the ogive section to create a very small "flashing". This can be removed by a fingernail during sizing/inspection./beagle

Single Shot
09-05-2007, 11:29 PM
WHAT!?!?! SHHH dammit! Next thing you know the Anti's will be wanting us to "microstamp" all of OUR boolits too! [smilie=b:

I microstamp all my boolits. I use the bore to do this.:twisted: Any if any anti wants to catch the boolit in their teeth to check it, I am more than willing to microstamp one for them.