PDA

View Full Version : Propane camp stove for smelting, I dont think so!

Vulcan Bob
04-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi all, well I done used up all my ingots of COWW gotten in trade so it was time to smelt some COWWs. I have read here about using gasoline camp stoves for smelting and I have a propane two burner camping stove and thought I was set. Well the BTU output of the propane camping stove was just not up to snuff melting at most eight or so pounds of COWWs. Well off to the store to get a fish fryer and then to get a tank of propane. I have never done the cook on the grill thing and did not have a tank to trade in at the store for a new charged one. They wanted $56.00 for one without the trade! This offended my thrifty side and went home empty handed. My sister said she had a couple of empty tanks and I could have one when we get together this weekend. Smelting interuptis, oh the shame!:cry:

FLINTNFIRE
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Back when I was younger I used a coleman propane to smelt and cast with, as it was what I had , used a gas stove to , and it worked , it will work for small batches , though it is not as easy as moving on up to a bigger propane burner which makes a easier job of it .

dbosman
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
I use a Coleman gas stove and a SS food service tub. I was having trouble keeping the whole tub molten. I finally found the secret, pump up the gas tank again after it's lit and burning well. I'd not realized how much pressure dropped in the initial lighting. Now I can get a tub up to 700 and keep it there.

w0fms
04-25-2013, 01:15 PM
You can use a camp stove, but you'll have to cut the smelting down to 2-3 lbs at a time.. which is a pain... been there, done that...

RickinTN
04-26-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm using a Coleman 2-burner propane stove for smelting, and liked it so well I've been casting from it instead of my Lyman electric pot. I use a stainless 4-quart pot and can smelt about 25 lbs at a time. Takes about 20 to 25 minutes to get melted. I know this isn't the quantity that some others do in one pot, but works pretty well for me. I did buy the adaptor hose in order to use my 20 lb tanks as the small 1 pounders do become expensive. I do think one of the tricks is to use a deeper-narrower pot as opposed to a shallow-wide pot so it is efficient with the heat. A pot about 2 times the diameter of the burner seems to be about right. I purchased my stainless pots at the local Goodwill store for between $4 and $6 each. I have no problem maintaining 700 or so degrees with 20+ pounds in the pot, and have had it above 850 degrees.

shadowcaster
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
It's really hard to beat the BTU's of a turkey fryer.

Shad

jcwit
04-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I use a single burner Coleman Dual Fuel camp stove, they are available at Wally World for around $40 bucks.

I use White Gas/Naphtha in mine, this is the same as Coleman Fuel. Generators seem to last longer using white gas rather then Unleaded Regular Gasoline.

To the original OP, I see you claim to live in central PA, do you live in Amish Country? If so you might be able to buy White Gas at the pump at a great savings. Here in No. Indiana, Shipshewana to be exact White Gas at the pump is approx $5.00 a gal.

Oh Ya, I can melt 10/15 lbs with this little stove. Easily!

Vulcan Bob
04-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Hi there everybody, well I guess results do vary! The camp stove is a Primus brand and may not have the oomph a Coleman does. Anyhoo I bought the Waley World $40.00 fish fryer/boiler and got a tank of propane today and had at it. Wow what a difference, the thing melted thirty pounds of wheel weights in a jiffy and had to run it on low to keep the temp below 700 degrees while fluxing and pouring. Ran sixty one ingots before my lower back protested too much and quit for the day. Am happy now!

gmsharps
04-27-2013, 12:18 AM
The phrase you go to war with what you have applys here. I started out with a pump up coleman stove because that's what I had at the time. Of course it seemed like it took forever to do much smelting but it got the job done. When money became more readily available I progressed to a plumbers pot powered by propane. I found a cast iron pot that would hold 40 lbs of lead and that has made life a lot better. I have my welders gloves to keep my hands and wrists from getting burned and over the years have accumilated several ignot molds from Lyman RCBS and some old cast iron and aluminum corn bread molds. I keep trying to improve my effenciency on smelting and casting but it takes time.

cat223
04-27-2013, 12:58 AM
The turkey fryer sounds like it's gonna do a great job for you. I have a turkey fryer but didn't think I could afford the price of propane. I built a wood fired smelter from and old water presure tank with a cut down 20 pound propane tank welded in the top. It eats wooden pallets like a fire breathing dragon. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?193602-Wood-Fired-Smelter

DLCTEX
04-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Before using the turkey fryer I would stand on it to see if the frame will hold the weight of lead. It doesn't take a very big pot to weigh as much as you do. I made a wind deflector from metal flashing that cut my melt time by at least 1/3. Just a simple ring of metal to direct the heat up the pot. JFYI, don't use the aluminum pot for smelting.:cry:

rbuck351
05-05-2013, 02:40 AM
I have been using a Coleman pump up three burner stove on pump gas for the last 20 years or so. It melts 12/15lbs of lead easily and cooks my camp grub as well and has been working since I got it without any problems. I may try the turkey fryer next time as it should go faster.

Spokerider
05-05-2013, 11:32 AM
I use the Coleman white gas stove too.
A can of fuel is almost $20 however.......ain't cheap.

USMC87
05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm converting mine into a turkey fry outfit in hopes to increase melt time.

Y-T71
05-05-2013, 01:31 PM
I used this set up to smelt 400lbs in about 10-12 hours total over the course of 3 days.

It took 5 propane bottles to smelt the 400lbs at 2 bottles/$5.97 from Walmart.
The warmest day was about 70 but most of the time it was in the high 50's low 60's.
The upside down wastebasket supports the weight of the lead so all the weight isn't directly on the valve/burner.
I was smelting an average of 60lbs at a time with one batch weighing in a 80lbs.
The stainless steel mixing bowl is an 8qt (I think)

I could start with a cold bowl of lead and be putting my cooled ingots in buckets in about 2-2 1/2 hours.

ETA: Although my setup works exceedingly well for me, I'm on the lookout for a used (read cheap) turkey fryer because I'm hoping to increase my supply of lead to smelt in the future :D.

Sweetpea
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm converting mine into a turkey fry outfit in hopes to increase melt time.

HMMM...

I always wanted to go faster...:bigsmyl2:

daengmei
05-05-2013, 05:23 PM
I've been using a propane Coleman stove for smelting what I get from the scrap yard. Works ok for what looks like a small pot but weighs about 20lbs with lead, I can see the grill drooping when it glows red. I do have 2 double burner turkey/cajun fryers I bought years ago when a local wallyworld moved to a new building....30 bucks apiece new. Got a tank full of gas and when the rainy days let up I'm off.

imashooter2
05-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I smelted and dipper cast for years on a $5 yard sale white gas Coleman using unleaded gasoline. I did all the work in a 2.5 quart stainless saucepan with about 40 pounds working weight.

DLCTEX
05-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I bought a filler valve for those little propane bottles and fill them from a 5 gal. tank from my BBQ grille. Put the empty small bottles in the freezer, attach to 5 gal. tank and invert. I get the large tank filled at the propane dealer for $2 per gallon. net cost of propane to fill small bottle is about .50.

I'll Make Mine
05-07-2013, 09:41 PM
All my smelting to date has been on a Coleman single burner gasoline stove (confirmed by Coleman to be compatible with unleaded pump gas -- lowest octane available, and the less alcohol the better, they said). Tell you what, under $4/gal at Pop Shoppe sure beats $14/gal for Coleman fuel at K-mart. Coleman fuel smells better, though...

rainyday
05-08-2013, 04:55 PM
i found a 2 burner propane camp cook stove on craigslist for $50.00. its a little lite on btu's but have plans to get a bigger regulator when funds allow. i been findinf propane tanks at garage sales(with propane in them). i found a propane bottle last weekend that was full for $7.00,plus its good for another 8 years before i have to turn it in

farmbif
05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Agrisupply has 70,000 btu cast iron burners for $12 and a single burner stove for$10 that use propane- the cheapest ones i have found,

mdi
05-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Hmmm, just yesterday I smelted 40 lbs. of linotype with my home made pot (1/8" thick walls/bottom) on my single burner propane Coleman...

taco650
05-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I used a Coleman two burner propane stove to cast my first batch of boolits. Did about 10lbs of 310gr FP 44 slugs with now issues. Then we moved and my wife sold it in a pre-move garage sale. Oh well, guess I'll just have to break down and buy a legit bottom pour pot! ;-)

Baron von Trollwhack
05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
FWIW we have Southern States farm supply stores around and they are about 1/3 cheaper to fill a propane tank you bring in.

BvT

Adk Mike
05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
Get your self a turkey cooker with a high pressure adjustable regulator. The regulator will be red in color. I've in tbe propane business for years. that set up and a good pot. You'll be like the funny man says. Getter her Done.

Ben
05-28-2013, 09:36 PM
I saw a Turkey Fryer ( high pressure burner ) on sale here in Birmingham this weekend for $19.95

lksmith
06-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Hi all, well I done used up all my ingots of COWW gotten in trade so it was time to smelt some COWWs. I have read here about using gasoline camp stoves for smelting and I have a propane two burner camping stove and thought I was set. Well the BTU output of the propane camping stove was just not up to snuff melting at most eight or so pounds of COWWs. Well off to the store to get a fish fryer and then to get a tank of propane. I have never done the cook on the grill thing and did not have a tank to trade in at the store for a new charged one. They wanted $56.00 for one without the trade! This offended my thrifty side and went home empty handed. My sister said she had a couple of empty tanks and I could have one when we get together this weekend. Smelting interuptis, oh the shame!:cry:

I use a cheapo hot plate on high (1500watt) and an el cheapo walmart saucepan. Granted I don't smelt as some of you but it works fine