PDA

View Full Version : Sized bullets wrong size

jacked_72
04-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Hi,

I'm new to reloading, though I've been around it for the last 20 years or so with family members. I've got a Lee mold which is casting bullets to .311. I want to resize them to .309, so I bought a lube and resizing kit for that diameter. It was sizing bullets to .307, too small to be effective for my barrel. I contacted Lee and they had me send the new die back to them and they "reworked" it and now it sizes between .307-.3075. I'm getting this reading on two different calipers, one dial and one digital, across a number of resized bullets. I'm measuring the resized bullets on the shiny parts that have been resized by the die. Am I doing something wrong? I can't believe that both calipers are off by the same amount. I also can't believe that Lee "fixed" it to the wrong size. In fact, the measurements that I get are the same as before they fixed it. (There was a note from someone saying that they had mic'ed the bullet they ran through it and that it was .309, but on both of my calipers, its .307-.3075.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've got another email into Lee, but I don't relish the idea of losing the die again for two weeks.

tward
04-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Welcome to casting! I am about where you are 40 yrs reloading, only casting for a couple of years, I've found that calipers are not sufficient for Boolit measurement, try a micrometer. Calipers are fine for OAL but use mic for Boolits. Good luck and good casting! Tim

RickinTN
04-25-2013, 10:16 AM
If you have some jacketed bullets take a measurement from some of them and compare. A micrometer would be best, but comparing your measurements from a factory jacketed bullet of known diameter will at least give you an idea of your calipers' accuracy.

BK7saum
04-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Calipers are not sufficient for the accuracy of the measurements you are trying to make. The amount of pressure you apply to the calipers greatly affects the measurement.

Try measuring a j-word bullet and see what measurement you get. Be aware that j-words can vary +/- .0005 based upon manufacturer, etc.

Hard to believe it is off .002". Alloy affects the sizes diameter as well. My .309 lee die sized boolits of 50-50 alloy at. .3090-.3092.

I wouldn't try to alter the die until you get the proper measuring apparatus.

Brad

1_Ogre
04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
you didn't mention whether you mic'd the boolet out of the mould before it was sized. What is the size when it is dropped from the mould?

MT Chambers
04-25-2013, 02:41 PM
The Lee dies are meant to just get you in the right "ballpark" +or- .005".

Maven
04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
jacked 72, If you don't want Lee Precision (a bit of irony in this instance, no?) to "fix" it a second time, take a look at this: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/How%20to%20Hone%20a%20Size%20Die.pdf

6bg6ga
04-27-2013, 09:21 AM
jacked 72, If you don't want Lee Precision (a bit of irony in this instance, no?) to "fix" it a second time, take a look at this: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/HowTo/How%20to%20Hone%20a%20Size%20Die.pdf

Before you get crazy and start hacking a sizing die I suggest that you beg or borrow a micrometer and have someone that is capable of using a mic take a measurement.

Shakey Jakey
04-27-2013, 09:27 AM
I do it like Buckshot does except I use 320 and 600 lapping compound instead of the sandpaper. Couldnt be easier.

375RUGER
04-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I've opened up a couple of Lee push-thrus to get them to "the" diameter.
You need to ensure your measurement first.

montana_charlie
04-27-2013, 12:59 PM
I've got a Lee mold which is casting bullets to .311. I want to resize them to .309, so I bought a lube and resizing kit for that diameter. It was sizing bullets to .307, too small to be effective for my barrel.
If you used your (two) calipers to measure a slug that passed through your bore, then you have a valid point for comparison.
Using the same caliper(s) to measure bullet candidates should result in readings that have the same amount of - or lack of - error.

The weakness in calipers (as opposed to micrometers) is usually the 'touch' of the operator. How tightly you close the jaws on an object must remain consistent in order to get valid comparisons.
A dial caliper (rather than an electronic one) gives an analog reading that clearly shows variations in jaw pressure, so it can help train you to do it consistently.
Zero the dial while applying 'your standard amount' of pressure to the thumbwheel, then always apply that same amount of pressure when measuring something.

If you are already doing this, you are probably getting 'useful to you' readings ... even if they don't agree with a micrometer.

Get 'your' sizer to produce a bullet diameter that agrees with 'your' caliper when measuring a slug driven through 'your' barrel.
If 'your' thumbwheel pressure is consistent, all of those diameters should agree.

CM

BAGTIC
04-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Have you tried loading the unsized 'as cast' bullet?

DLCTEX
04-27-2013, 07:41 PM
+1 on trying a mic. Opening up a Lee sizer is easier than sending it back.