PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy molds?

soldierbilly1
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
I noticed there seems to be some shortage on molds out there! Hah!

Lee used 6 bangers are going for $80 and up on Fleabay. Thank you to the current King in the White House!

In any case, I am looking for a TL358-158-SWC or a TL 358-158-2R.
either new or used is OK

where can I get sumpthin like this?
thanks
Billy boy
no guns out there or gun food! Now, no molds either! man this is nuts! thanks!

runfiverun
04-25-2013, 12:39 PM
http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/377/3/online-lee-distributors

best I got, here is a list of lee dealers.

Dannmann801
04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm seeing the same thing - new to reloading and now casting and have hit the wall, trying to find bullets and molds.
Ugh:mad:

But on a good note, I found a Lee 4-20 pot in stock at Titan....that made my day yesterday

rexherring
04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Try Track of the Wolf. He's got a few in stock and some on backorder, but his prices are real not inflated.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1196/1

soldierbilly1
04-25-2013, 03:12 PM
guys, thanks. I tried them all, no dice. Some panic buying going on!
billy boy

oldfart1956
04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Fellers I haven't checked yet but are ya'll posting an ad in the Wanted to Buy forum yet? It's easy to miss that forum as it's kinda buried in the Swapping&Selling section. I'm sold out of 6 bangers and don't have anything in .358 at all right now. Until molds become available there's some fellers selling boolits here I think. Billy if you're near Hanover, Pa. there's a company there selling .358 swc's at $30 per 500. Given the price of lead, lack of molds...that's an option. I'm not associated with said company in any way. I've met them at gun shows, nice folks, good products. I haven't even been to their website yet....I'm just tryin' to help. www.bulletmen.com is the addy. Audie...the Oldfart..

RobS
04-25-2013, 10:24 PM
A lot of online reloading supply places are out of stock on many molds so the next best bet is to see if you can find a good price on a used mold in a forum such as ours in the WTB section.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Want-To-Buy-!

you can keep looking at the Swappin & Sellin section:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?18-Swappin-amp-Sellin

There is always the thought of going custom or semi-custom at the current prices for an ebay mold; I now a days go custom anyway so I get exactly what I design.

supv26
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm in the same boat trying to get molds. So far I have 14 double cavity and three 6 bangers on the shelf in everything from .356 to .452 and 45 cal to 58 cal. I'm trying to acquire six more 6 bangers to step up my production to supply my habit!!! I was lucky enough to find a 6 banger in the TL453 230 TC and 4 sets of handles. I'll have some empty handles for a while but I'm sure I'll fill them soon.

dverna
04-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Things will improve. I waited a long time and submitted a request for email notification from Midway for two molds I wanted. I finally got them after waiting about 5-6 weeks - not bad.

My approach moving forward is to buy what I think I may need when items are available. I see this as an investment - both in terms of funding my hobby to have fun and, if my interests change, as a way to profit the next time shortages hit. Everyone here who has been doing this for any length of time knows that if they purchased decent equipment it has gone up in value. There is NO downside.

This is typically labeled by those who are "grasshoppers" as hoarding (such an ugly word). I like to look at it as preparing and investing.

Dannmann801
04-26-2013, 01:02 PM
As a noob to the reloading and bulletcasting scene, I'll say this - what I'm enjoying most is the increased sense of freedom and independence I'm enjoying because of having this capability. But I guess even if we have brass, molds, lead, and some powder, we'll always be at the mercy of the manufacturers for primers.

Guess it's time to buy a flintlock.:?

Horace
04-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Amazom.com has a few molds for sale and related items.

Horace

Dannmann801
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Try Track of the Wolf. He's got a few in stock and some on backorder, but his prices are real not inflated.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/1196/1

Thanks for the heads-up! Got one on order, single cavity 30-30.....not my target mold but it gets me in the game.
Thanks again

RickinTN
05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Midsouth has the TL158 swc in stock although it shows quantities low. I ordered this mold on Monday. I've been watching their site for about 6 weeks for it to come into stock.

Epd230
05-01-2013, 12:29 PM
They are available from most of the online retailers. You just have to wait for them. If you want it now, you have to pay auction prices at double to quadruple retail.

Or, find it here!

Patience is a virtue!

NVScouter
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
I've ordered a few backordered molds and the longest wait was 4 days for shipping. Fleabayers are just setting out the bait and see who's going to bite. WWW.midwayusa.com charged me a $5.35 backorder fee for extra shipping last time, much better then tripple the cost of a $20 mold.

dilly
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
For just buying some bullets until it's time to invest in a mold, I've enjoyed my purchases from zcast bullets. Prices are excellent and haven't changed since before the scare. They are a little behind and take a bit to get their orders out right now though. It's a good option for someone who can wait a bit. Of course maybe by then you could scrounge up a mold. It's up to you.

Bzcraig
05-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I just recently (last 3 weeks) got a 124gr .356 from Titan Reloading. The mold was only on backorder for about 3 days, about one week from order to delivery.

Epd230
05-04-2013, 10:58 AM
I've had several molds on back order with Midway for about three weeks now. Their estimate is for the middle of June to complete my order.

You should feel lucky if your backorder was filled in four days.

1Shirt
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
When Obozo was elected, I invested about 500.00 in a couple of molds that I wanted but had been putting off, and the rest in powder and primers. At this point, figure I saved myself maybe double that amount depending on how long this foolishness continues.
1Shirt!

rintinglen
05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
)^wisdom there.
When the election began getting mention in 2011, I started buying a hundred bucks a month of "stuff", brass, molds, powder, primers, 22's. I'm darned glad I did so. Primers are 80% higher, if you can find them. 22's are not to be had. Brass, molds, ditto. When this settles out, I'll resume stocking up. Though in truth, I can go for another two years before I start to run dry.