PDA

View Full Version : WW mystery blob

Super Sneaky Steve
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, a friend of mine has a scrap yard and I offered to buy some WW's from him.

He thought he was doing me a favor by just melting them all into a hub cap with a torch. I'm sure he didn't sort out the zinc ones.

I have no idea how much zinc made it into the blob. It looks OK even though the steel thingies are still on the top.

Should I just go with it and try making some boolits?:confused: What's the worst that can happen?

runfiverun
04-24-2013, 10:38 PM
you might learn whether sulpher will remove zinc from a lead alloy or not.
and maybe nothing.
small amounts of zinc is soluble in lead alloys.

btroj
04-24-2013, 11:00 PM
What kind of price? If price was right I would jump on it.

hickfu
04-24-2013, 11:30 PM
I just purchased sulfer to see how it does in removing zinc. I think I got most of the zinc out already but it still has the 1.6% that will bond to the lead..... Hopefully it will work

Doc

Super Sneaky Steve
04-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Well, he said he'd give it to me if I supplied some loaded rounds for him. My primer supply is limited, but I didn't want to pass up the lead.

KYCaster
04-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Zinc contaminated lead isn't worth the price.....EVEN IF IT'S FREE!!

Like Doc, I tried the Sulfur cure and seemed to remove most of the Zn, but it still wouldn't cast for carp. Ended up adding one lb. of the reclaimed alloy to a 20 lb. pot till I finally used it up.

Never again.

Jerry

Dusty Bannister
04-26-2013, 12:37 AM
He thought he was doing me a favor by just melting them all into a hub cap with a torch. I'm sure he didn't sort out the zinc ones.

Should I just go with it and try making some boolits?

========
Melt enough to do some test casting with and if it makes good well filled out castings, go with the rest of it. But if it is contaminated, tell him so, nicely, and explain why you like to be able to sort out the odd stuff before melting. It will save him work, and you will get good alloy.

Then when you do get some good alloy, make him up some loads with the good stuff if you like. Good luck and I hope you have a good and lasting source. Dusty

destrux
04-26-2013, 02:02 AM
Just look for unmelted zinc weights in the blob of clips he left on top. There's a chance he didn't get it hot enough to melt the zinc. If he was only applying the torch till the pile of weights melted he probably stopped as soon as the lead melted into a puddle, probably before the zinc did. Heat it up carefully and pick them out. Maybe you got lucky.