PDA

View Full Version : .32 s&w

PB234
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Found an old revolver in 32 S&W and have no experience with the cartridge. Any problems with it I should know about? This is just a fun toy and not a serious firearm for me. I like the old odd ones.

Have not yet looked for brass, etc. Hate to buy a new set of dies for another cartridge, but I just like the old odd ones.

Thanks

Zim
04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I'm shooting 2 S&W HE in 32 long and having a ball. Or should I tell you my wife has decreed they are for our daughters? Very easy to load for & miserly on powder & lead. I finally got a Ruger 32 mag and won't let the wife shoot it for fear of losing it.

The 32's will multiply. Good old guns. Don't hit rod them & they will last another lifetime.

rintinglen
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Very light loads are the order of the day here. I shot an RCBS 32-84 over 1.0 grains of Bullseye. I was shooting an old break-top US revolver Company 5 shot 32 revolver. IIRC it had a 3 inch barrel and was surprisingly accurate, age, size, and quality considered. Lyman's 3rd edition recommended starting loads only for these old guns, so that's where I went with that.

NoZombies
04-25-2013, 07:32 PM
I concur, light loads for the top breaks!

The Lee 93 grain RN bullet comes pretty close to the original in weight and profile (if that matters to you) and the above suggestion of 1.0gn Bullseye is spot on. This is the load that I use when I go shoot my Dad's old .32 break top S&W.

The little guns can be fun, especially if the targets are things like tin cans, rather than concentric rings.