PDA

View Full Version : A 265gr boolit for the 460 Rowland autoloader

ci11
04-24-2013, 04:46 PM
I wanted a powerful 100-yard, mid-size game defensive load that would complement the 460R pistols I plan to carry on all-day treks. While commercial loads are available from folks like Buffalo Bore, Cor-Bon and Underwood, they are chronically out. As for components, the Speer 4481 JHP and 4484 DCHP are both viable candidates but even these are gone everywhere. Nada.

So I started to look around for molds that would give me the following:

1. A true-to-Keith profile with 3 equal driving bands that is 250+ grains and with expansion possibility
2. 1100+ fps MV from a 460R case without powder compression or over-pressure
3. A nose/ogive/leade/shoulder that would reliably feed in a 1911, M&P or Glock

In other words, this is a mid-range 429421 load for autoloaders that carry more than 6 rounds. Although I already have a couple of Lyman 452424 molds, they do not provide the above. So I reached out to a few guru's and honcho's on the forum and got some quick and helpful replies, but alas no solutions without waiting for many months, or even more expecting the next GB.

I wrote Tom at AccurateMolds.com and Erik at HollowpointMold.com. I saw the many options in their catalog but although some were close, none really met all three of the above criteria. Tom wrote me back quickly and Erik called me on the phone and we had a great chat. Over the course of a matter of days, we came up something pretty cool.

Tom drew a new design and it's now in his catalog - the 45-265K - that is a true-265 grain Keith that has an OAL of 0.685. This leaves the ideal amount of room for powder with an COAL of 1.250: up to 10.4 gr of Power Pistol or 13.6 of AA7 for a MV of about 1150 fps.

68338 68339

With 15 gr for hollowpoint cavities, the 250gr weight will fly a little faster at between 1160 and 1180. Erik is ready when initial testing is finished to devise his inset bar conversion and he mentioned he can vary his pins to reach a specific target weight. Looks like we are good to go!

As a noob to this forum, I am really impressed with the friendliness and support of CB members. I hope this foretells the success to come, and I thank everyone for being so supportive and encouraging, as well as living the values of openness and innovation.

Let the journey begin!

No_1
04-24-2013, 05:17 PM
"Let the journey begin", well said. We are happy to have you as a member and finally posting. Please keep us informed with your outcome.

Any Cal.
04-25-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm interested in seeing what the real world velocity ends up being. I've always thought the Roland would be good with heavier bullets, but haven't really seen any info on it.

tweigenant
05-16-2013, 07:49 PM
Anyone heard from the OP regarding this boolit and load? Sure wish they would post the results of testing. I have that mould and have not yet cast any. I may be casting this weekend and I will work up a load and report back to those interested. It looks very promising to me.

acemedic13
06-19-2013, 10:05 AM
I just had a mech-tech carbine conversion bored to 460 Rowland. I am looking for a big, heavy, flat boolit. I want to keep it right around 1000 fps so it stays relatively quiet through my suppressor. It's going to be my little brush/swamp gun for feral hogs.Seemed like the perfect application of the cartridge. Thanks for doing the work and posting it.