PDA

View Full Version : Question on Weil-McLAIN BOILER

firefly1957
04-24-2013, 10:57 AM
I started having problems with my boiler not lighting, the igniter glows but only some smoke seems to form around igniter when gas flows but the gas will not light. After 2 cycles boiler goes into no light mode were exhaust blower runs and there is no more attempts to light. Using a flame to start the boiler works and it will cycle properly for some time before this starts again. I wonder for one if igniter may not be hot enough?, if humidity may effect gas ignition?, sometimes it seems the flame may be a bit lean burning very blue no yellow at all?

This just started as my ground water has risen and i have water in crawl space but it has not got to the boiler and is another issue i need to deal with . The water is coming in cement crawl space from the hole drilled for the condensate line from the furnace and that did have water in it i have drained that it did not back into the exhaust at all.

powderburnerr
04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
sounds like you need to take out the burners and clean them ,the gas us getting redirected away from the ignitor,
when you light by hand you may be blowing the dust away ..

turmech
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
sounds like you need to take out the burners and clean them ,the gas us getting redirected away from the ignitor,
when you light by hand you may be blowing the dust away ..
Exactly my though as well. Another thing to clean is, if the boiler has them, are the orifices that feed each burner. I see it quite often. Dirt, rust or a bug gets in the office of the burner which ignites from the ignitor and it won't ignite by the ignitor.

firefly1957
04-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Burners and orifices are clean gas flows around glow plug making a dark mist/smoke but not lighting? I did check for such things first thing .

turmech
04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Are they cast iron or stamped steel burners? I have had to take burners out and clean with water pressure dry them and re install. I am obviously not there and things are tough to diagnosis without seeing it, but if the gas flows correctly at the ignitor and the ignitor is glowing hot it should light. Do you have any way to check gas pressure? If so check supply pressure and outlet pressure after the powered gas valve.

06ackley
04-24-2013, 08:00 PM
If you have access to a multi meter check the ohms of the ignitor.It could need replaced.I have seen some ignitors glow but not actually ignite the gas.

Jeffrey
04-24-2013, 08:07 PM
The igniter should glow hot enough that it is difficult to look at. If it is not glowing this bright the igniter is likely faulty - check connections. DO NOT TOUCH THE IGNITER even deenergized. Oil from your hand will cause premature failure.

firefly1957
04-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Well so far so good I took everything apart wire brushed the sheet metal burners and ran a orifice cleaner from a torch set though each orifice then checked all the wiring connection put it back together and it lit right up i will know in the morning if that got it .

I also dug some post holes around the house water level in the ground is from 5 inches above the crawl space floor to level with floor .

DLCTEX
04-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I have found some igniter problems to be a voltage drop that does not allow the igniter to get hot enough. Sometimes corroded connections, and sometimes the elec. co. had to adjust taps in the transformer.

firefly1957
04-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Well 24 hours and still working after removing the igniter to clean other parts it seems to glow brighter but may just be my perception furnace is still going which is good as it is still snowing!

I could sure use some GLOBAL WARMING! I know i may regret saying that come August.

MT Gianni
04-27-2013, 11:42 PM
When you get to the problem that the burner lights but does not stay lit. Clean your flame sensor rod with something no more abrasive than a new $20 bill. Then loosen the screws on the flame control module that hold it to the boiler case and re-tighten them. This ensures that your ground path return is clear in the circuit. I would get a spare ignitor as it will fail you in the worst moment and it is not a difficult replacement.

firefly1957
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks MT Gianni I have extra igniter now .