PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing-what do you do next ?

eljefeoz
04-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Yup, am a noob, so new, I get nose bleed reading some of the 'rarified' posts :-?
SO, I made up a batch of pan lube to use with RCBS 145 SIL 0.285 , Lee 130 0.285 and Lee 170 0.309.

After gathering the good looking ones,gas checked and sized appropriately.
I made myself some lube with Beeswax, vaseline, Lanolin and a bit of olive oil.Added wax until the lube is tacky, slippery, slidy and seems to stick to the lube grooves well.Not crumbly.
Next, took a fired unsized shell, belled the mouth a bit and cut the CB out of the lube.
NOW- what do you guys do next?
let them cure a while?
How do you clean the rest of the lube off the bullet before seating? Or o I just let it be?
I used my fingers and a rag, more rag use after seating in the case.
TIA and thanks for your patience
PS-its going to be the Bens red, Zombie green and a plethora of colours after this batch is over.Thanks for the inspiration

mdi
04-24-2013, 11:22 AM
The gas checked bullets I pan lube, I run them through the Lee sizing die to remove excess lube after I cut them out of the cake (seat checks, lube, size, load). I found some stainless steel tubing about the same ID as my bullets OD and reamed the interior to a few thousandths over bullet diameter. Tapered one end and left them about 6" long so they are easy to handle...

eljefeoz
04-24-2013, 11:33 AM
So you run them thru the Lee push sizer again to remove excess lube? What if I still find some smears of lube on the projectile after the 2nd run run through the sizer ( first run is to size and seat gas check)
Cutting them out of the lube using a mbelled mouth case DOES leave a bit of smear on the boolit.Is it ok to have this, load and use or ...
TIA

Any Cal.
04-24-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't size first. Pluck them out of the lube with a little pair of pliers, I use some little wire strippers, then size them all. That gets most of the lube off. Load them up, then wipe off the nose if you want. You can dowhatever to the base, I don't clean them but some people do.

The bullets will pull out of the lube easiest before it is fully cool.

runfiverun
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
just wipe off the excess lube.

eljefeoz
04-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Thank you All,
I just did the 2nd run thru the resizer.Beginning to look like the lubed boolits I see here.Yup,I shall wipe the excess off the nose
Cheers

eljefeoz
04-26-2013, 12:28 AM
HI Anycal, tried your technique of pulling them out of the pan lube before it had hardened
I must say, those are some very good looking projectiles!
will give it an overnight and size.
Thanks [smilie=w:

Jim..47
04-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm interested in pan lube, but this thread doesn't the ingredients. Does anyone know them or have a link?

eljefeoz
04-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Here's one:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?191745-A-bit-overwhelmed-looking-for-a-good-and-simple-pan-lube-for-44-250-k&p=2187575#post2187575

Bens red-lots of good things said about it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?166254-Made-more-Ben-s-Red-today&highlight=bens+red

As I said,I'm a lube noob (also a noob to CB)
simple enough if you melt BW, add vaseline, stir well.I'd say 60:40 mix. Add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil, keep stirring and finally add a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of Lanolin, stir till the stirrer -a spoon in my case, got all sticky.
I melted this one in the regular oven in an old tin bowl.No foul smells, you wont run afoul of the sig other!
let it harden over night and see how it goes. Smooth, should hold to the projectile, not crumble, and the version I made is NOW not too sticky.
If its too sticky, remelt and add more beeswax.stir stir stir for 10-15 min.if too crumbly-remelt,add vaseline.magic words? stir stir stir for 10-15 min
Cheers

Measures are pretty sloppy-what passes for a teaspoon for me may not for you, but you get the idea?

Jim..47
04-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks eljefeoz. Ill save those recipes to my lube folder and try them when I get the chance. Are these recipes elastic then, or what should I expect as as as touch?

eljefeoz
04-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Jim, heres another
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?66426-So-you-want-to-make-your-own-boolit-lube
Between Gear and Lamar and the other greybeards of CB, there's enough here.
IMO,its a bit like fishing knots-3-4 good ones and you're good for life. [Until the itch begins anew for the 'super knot' ;) ]
The BW,olive oil and medical grade lanolin is actually my daughter's recipe for lip balm-dont laugh! she was taught that in craft class at school and her mum made her add some vanilla essence and: Voila.
I rediscovered it here a few weeks ago.
if its too gummy and grease like,sticks to the fingers-re heat and add BW-titrate with a teaspoon ful at a time.Let it cool, check by feel. You'll have a few attempts until the mix is good, its sticky enough to sit in the grooves, nice and slippery, but not the 'grease' sticky.
I started with 60grams BW to 40 grams Vaseline + Olive oil and Lanolin- too sticky,so I remelted, added about 30 grams of BW in 2 attempts, coooled 24h and then pan lubed. One batch was run thru the sizer after punching out 24h later.
Remelted , used for 2nd batch of sized and GC seated projjies (145 and 168Gr RCBS CB) Pulled them out after about 90 min.
Both showed good adherence of lube to the grooves, nice and slippery, NOT gooey and sticky on the fingers. Thats more of an aesthetic touch, I dont know how it will perform vis a vis LUBE, until the hammer drops.
Cheers

eljefeoz
04-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Double post

ubetcha
04-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I just wipe the base with a paper towel,which seems to work the best, and if there is excessive amount on the nose I will wipe that too.Other wise I wipe the nose after seating in the case.

mdi
04-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Don't overthink bullet lubing. Getting it on the bullet and making it stay where you want it is enough for now. Just look at alox tumble lubed bullets; brown stuff all over the bullet! (But it works)...

atr
04-28-2013, 02:10 PM
I only fill the pan deep enough to cover the lub grooves,,,no more
I use a spend cartridge case from the caliber I am casting for,,,,the mouth of the spent case will have just enough clearance to fit snugly over the boolit when extracting from the lub pan.
I let the lub set up before I cut the boolits out BUT I don't let the lub entirely cool....makes it much easier to cut out the boolit if the lub has set up but is no hard.
use your deburring tool to chamfer the inside and outside of the case neck so it cuts into the lub cleanly
I very seldom have any excess lub to wipe off...
hope this helps
atr

Jim..47
04-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks to all who offered their advice to help me. You are a great bunch of guys. Too bad travel is so expensive and so painful for the "Old Timers" or we could all get together amd show off our wares and shoot, but most importantly, just chew the fat!

eljefeoz
04-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't overthink bullet lubing. Getting it on the bullet and making it stay where you want it is enough for now. Just look at alox tumble lubed bullets; brown stuff all over the bullet! (But it works)...
+1 MDI
Thanks for that.

nanuk
04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
I have read that you only need to run the lube over the highest groove, so there will be no lube on the noses.

also, an idea that was floated some time ago, was to get an old golf club, which is tapered, and cut it off until it is the exact size needed to cut out the boolit, leaving no excess on the boolit itself.

Boolseye
04-28-2013, 09:25 PM
+1 on pliers, also on a sloppy recipe. Glad to see someone else likes that method. Crayons are good for color.

eljefeoz
04-29-2013, 12:26 AM
Need to find me some 'real' wax crayons. Dont know what the stuff floating around is... :( Id love some Zombie green lube.

eljefeoz
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
@ Jim:
here's what they look like:
L-R
RCBS 168Gr : 145Gr : Lee 130 Gr.
GC seated and sized
Lube- as stated
method-Pan lubed and pulled out with pliers before lube hardened

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/eljefe06/DSCN2036_zpsc9671da3.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/eljefe06/media/DSCN2036_zpsc9671da3.jpg.html)

Jim..47
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Those look really nice. I tried my first pan lube recipe last night. I think I need to tweak a few things yet, but little time to work on it now with all the spring chores.:-|