PDA

View Full Version : First time slugging .44mag barrel

Chilmonty
04-24-2013, 09:28 AM
So I decided to slug my Super Blackhawk in .44mag 7.5" barrel. I first cleaned with some Choreboy wrapped around my .44 brush in case I had any leading. Then ran a tight patch with some Hoppes and saw no lead on the patch.

Then I greased a .454 round lead ball and started it with a muzzle loader ball starter, then used a section of my shotgun rod covered in tape and pushed it through. It pushed fairly easily until it got to the throat and then I had to tap it with a mallet???

Cleaned off the lead ball and using my micrometer at several different angles I got a max of .4293".

Is the tightness at the throat common or something I should be worried about?

Thanks for any input!

Smokin7mm
04-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Idealy you would want it tightest at the muzzle (slightly choked) for best accuracy. You could try fire lapping with LBT lapping kit. It might just be a rough throat which would get smoothed out by lapping. Try just starting the ball in the muzzle and then removing it to see what that dimension works out to be. If it is the same no worries.
Bret

SyberShooter
04-24-2013, 12:25 PM
Was it the throat or where the barrel screws into the frame (aka frame squeeze). Lapping might just open it up.

Smokin7mm
04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
The other thing you need to check is each cylinder. Drop a sized cast bullet down each cylinder and idealy it should just hang up in the throat of each cylinder and not rattle through.
Bret