PDA

View Full Version : My first cast boolits

horsemen61
04-24-2013, 01:19 AM
Okay guys, here's a picture of my first cast of boolits. They are 148 grain wadcutters. I used a Lee 358 6-Cavity Mold. What do you think?68310

rmatchell
04-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Looks like your ready to load and have some fun. Also looks like you are starting out well, boolits look good

JSAND
04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Cast, Load, Shoot, Cast, Load, Shoot, Cast, Load, Shoot.....It's a vicious cycle but one I can't imagine not being a part of. Congratulations on your first session, now load and shoot or just cast some more.

captaint
04-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Nice job horsemen - It looks like your sprue plate might need a tune up. Many of your sprue cuts look abnormal and they differ a lot. Did your sprue plate come loose on you ??. Looks like that's what happened. Happends all the time. I always install a lock screw to keep the sprue plate bolt from loosening. Drill & tap 8x32 - a little Allen screw, and you're good to go. Mike

horsemen61
04-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Yes my screw plate did come lose I tightened it back down do I really need to modify it please explain

45-70 Chevroner
04-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't want this to sound critical, as they look like most of our first atempts. I'm not sure my first casting session looked as good. It looks like you need to clean the mold some more and get the mold a little hotter. I have never used a hot plate, but recently bought one. I will be using it in my next casting session. A hot plate does make a lot of sence. Every one that uses one on this web site swares by it. Keep up the good work, it is an enjoyable hobby, ahhhh obsession.

popper
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Lots of wrinkles, rounded bands. I'd dump them in the pot and try again. Get the mould hotter, clean it good. Keep casting till you get good ones, then shoot. Why waste lead, primers & powder in today's market. Don't feel bad, we've all been there done that. Pretty soon you'll be pouring 20-40 pounds at a sitting. A trick I leaned is to cast with the plate open till you get good ones, then close it for keepers. It will take a few pours to get the plate up to temp so cut soon, I usually pour 1 hole till the plate gets hot.