PDA

View Full Version : M1a

smokemjoe
04-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I just got a Spr. M1 A, Is there anyway to have the bolt stop back instead of going shut evertime, Like the M1 garand when empty, Thanks- Joe

MR45
04-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Put the mag in it.

smokemjoe
04-23-2013, 10:31 PM
can you load one at a time that way as the cast bullet match you can only load single shot, Or do they make anything like they do for the Garand. Thanks- Joe

Mk42gunner
04-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Joe,

The M-14, which your M1-A was derived from, was designed to be reloaded by either replacing the magazine or using stripper clips into the empty mag.

Once you place the round in the magazine from the top, you will have to pull the operating rod to release the bolt catch.

One thing I was always taught, feed each round from the magazine, these rifles have a freefloating firing pin and stripping the round from the mag slows the bolt enough that you shouldn't have to worry about a slamfire.

Good Luck,

Robert

smokemjoe
04-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Okey , I put in a 20 rd. mag. and tried to push a loaded rd. into the mag, Its very hard to do, could I buy a 5 rd. cut the spring down to make it easeyer to load, I got 10 - 20rd. mags, would trade one for a 5 rd. if the spring can be made lighter, Thanks for the help, I know nothing about the 14, I do have 6 Garands left, Joe

NickSS
04-24-2013, 05:29 AM
I have loaded thousands of rounds into M1a mags and never had any problem with spring pressure. My guess is that you are catching the rim on the back of the mag. All you need to do is place it on top of the mag and press straight down with your thumb and it should snap into the mag.

smokemjoe
04-24-2013, 09:03 AM
kicss, I see how you do it now, I had that lung taken out and not use my hand, lift, shoulder to push over 6 lbs. and being very sore it is hard right now. At that cast bullet macths its about 80 rds. when you get done,load one shot at the time. I am going to get a 5 shot mag. and make the spring lighter, unless you guys have other way. any good cast bullet loads, Thanks- Joe

country gent
04-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Most of the 5 rd mags are a pain to get out of the gun due to the short length. I lightly stoned the feed lips on my Slow fire mag for mine and polished the outside on all my match mags to make them easier to rock in and out. Lowering the spring tension will allow the bolt to move faster inceasing the chance of slam fires slighlty. CCI makes a military primer with a harder cup for this reason also. Polish and smooth the follower and feed lips first. Go slow and very light with a stone and fine sand paper. The follower can be buffed lightly. After 20 + years of use my slow fire mag takes very little pressure to put the round in.

45 2.1
04-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Joe-
The 10 round mags work pretty well for what you want to do.