PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Russia

Char-Gar
09-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I just got off the phone with my son, who along with his wife, spent the past ten days crawling on and into the volcanos of Kamchatka in Russia. He tells me he saw more bear and caribu that he knew existed there. He says it is a hunter's paradise.

Anybody know the state of hunting in Russia?

MT Gianni
09-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Some folks outside Missoula have hunted it for Bear. It was expensive by my standards but then the air fare might be also. Guides required with local knowledge but very little in the way of equipment. I recall someone shooting a big bear, 11 1/2 feet or more and the guides backup gun was an Ak47. Trophies/pelts were shipped, meat was donated. No info on Caribou. Gianni.

longhorn
09-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I (slightly) know a guy that killed a big bear in Russia 10 or 12 years ago. Casually mentioned that the hunt cost about as much as his car--a big Mercedes. Might find some current info in the Accurate Reloading forums. Is it OK to mention another forum here? Some good hunting tales over on AR, don't know how true they all may be......

Old Ironsights
09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
If you have hard currency, almost ANYTHING is possible in old Mother Russia...

armoredman
09-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Ah, but I remember reading somewhere recently, somebig wig was recently arrested, (?), after hunting in Russia, for violating American law!? Uncle Sam wants YOU to toe the line, in or out of the country...

Bigscot
09-06-2007, 12:24 PM
A friend of mine has been twice. Once for brown bear and once for elk. Came home successful both times. The bear was huge and he did a full mount. Said it was cheaper than going out west. He said they could not eat the bear meat because of tularemia.

Bigscot

ktw
09-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Ah, but I remember reading somewhere recently, somebig wig was recently arrested, (?), after hunting in Russia, for violating American law!? Uncle Sam wants YOU to toe the line, in or out of the country...

I suspect he ran afoul of this one.

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/what.shtml

Going overseas and killing something is not a violation of US law. Trying to bring parts of certain wildlife species into the US is.

-ktw