PDA

View Full Version : Puma .454 Casull

JudgeBAC
09-04-2007, 09:47 PM
A buddy of mine and I were knocking around at lunch today and ran across a new Puma 92 stainless in .454 Casull. This was a really neat looking rig with fiber optic sights and a nice cushy recoil pad which would be necessity I would think in this caliber. Anyone out there have experience with a 92 clone in this caliber?

454PB
09-05-2007, 12:18 AM
I have the box stock blued Puma in .454 Casull. It's been a solid performer, no problems whatsoever, and I got exactly what I was looking for. It's not a target rifle, but capable of 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 50 yards with the rudimentary sights.

You will appreciate that recoil pad after about 50 rounds. Mine puts a nice bruise on my shoulder with 320 gr. cast boolits at 1900 fps.

To feed reliably with those heavy boolits, you have to pay special attention to OAL.

Blammer
09-05-2007, 06:55 AM
STOP IT!

you're making me drool for one! even worse now than before....

6pt-sika
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I had one in the 480 Ruger caliber .

I eventually made a deal/trade with a member on another forum .

When it left my house it was still unfired NIB .

For some reason I just could never warm up to it .

454PB
09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
I had one in the 480 Ruger caliber .

I eventually made a deal/trade with a member on another forum .

When it left my house it was still unfired NIB .

For some reason I just could never warm up to it .

Could it be because you never fired it:roll:

6pt-sika
09-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Could it be because you never fired it:roll:

Hmmm , maybe it could !

But if I didn't care for the way it looked , it doesn't matter .

After seeing it I would not have bought it , if I had not had the dealer order it for me [smilie=1:

Lets see , I didn't care for the BLACK wood , the not overly pleasing looking recoil pad , the toggle switch safety on top of the bolt and the fact that even though you couldn't use it they still had a magazine port in the side of the action .

Now if it had been the Marlin 1895RL that never saw the light of day , that would have been another story :drinks:

I had two Ruger SRH's in 480 before getting this Puma . And only bought it after Winchester bailed on its version of the 94 in 480 and Marlin falsely advertized the 1895RL .
And I still have a bunch or components for the 480 as well as 4 moulds .So I suppose if I am gonna put them to good use I may as well start looking for another SRH or a BFR [smilie=1:

454PB
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
OK, we each have our own eye for guns.

You said: "the fact that even though you couldn't use it they still had a magazine port in the side of the action"

The loading port on the side of my Puma works fine.

6pt-sika
09-05-2007, 11:34 PM
OK, we each have our own eye for guns.

You said: "the fact that even though you couldn't use it they still had a magazine port in the side of the action"

The loading port on the side of my Puma works fine.

On the Puma 480 you CANNOT load thru the mag port . The mag tube is just like on a 22 lever action . Turn the tube and pull it out .

I tried quite a bit to load thru the port and it doesn't work with the 480 Ruger cartridge .

I suppose the cartridge is just a shade to fat to angle into the mag tube like the other cartridges they chamber for . As a matter of fact when you recieve the rifle , they have some printed material in there telling you to load it like you would a tube fed 22 .

454PB
09-06-2007, 12:37 AM
Interesting. I use both methods on my .454 with no problems. At the range, I generally use the receiver port just because it provides more muzzle control. I can keep the muzzle downrange and lay the rifle on it's left side on the bench while loading it.

Pepe Ray
09-06-2007, 11:48 AM
6pt-sika;
Sorry that you got one like that.
I can load thru the gate on mine. and I love it. Yes, even cast boolets.
I won't dispute your complaints of the cosmetic zits, all of which can be remedied.
I've already removed the idiot switch. The wood on mine was light enough to reveal some grain,enough to encourage me to refinish it.
The end feed in the tube is a great way to unload after a hunt.(most of my hunts a shot is never fired.)
After fireing a box of ammo at the bench that ugly rec/pad gets very pretty. Again, a cosmetic zit that's easily rectified.
I must say that I admire your attitude re.taking the piece even tho you were displeased with the appearance. Very honorable. Take a bow!
The .480 Rug kicks butt.
Pepe Ray

6pt-sika
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
6pt-sika;
Sorry that you got one like that.
I can load thru the gate on mine. and I love it. Yes, even cast boolets.
I won't dispute your complaints of the cosmetic zits, all of which can be remedied.
I've already removed the idiot switch. The wood on mine was light enough to reveal some grain,enough to encourage me to refinish it.
The end feed in the tube is a great way to unload after a hunt.(most of my hunts a shot is never fired.)
After fireing a box of ammo at the bench that ugly rec/pad gets very pretty. Again, a cosmetic zit that's easily rectified.
I must say that I admire your attitude re.taking the piece even tho you were displeased with the appearance. Very honorable. Take a bow!
The .480 Rug kicks butt.
Pepe Ray

I am sincerely sorry if I have offended anyone with my impression of the Puma rifle .

But I suppose you can say I'm a hardcore Marlin person , and the little Puma 480 never stood a chance .

On the other hand , the price you could get a new Puma for when I bought that 480 make it a very decent lever rifle for the man on a semi tight budget .

I still want a 480 lever , but I may have to bypass the 480 and go straight to the 475GNR (45-70 necked up to 475).

ace1001
09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I don't know why they don't make a rifle version. It would be more stable than the carbine on heavy loads. I have one of each in .45 and I can load really heavy for the rifle. The carbine is not as accurate.
Ace

Pepe Ray
09-07-2007, 11:40 PM
6pt-sika,
I suppose that there may have been some thin skinned shooters who were offended but I was not one of them. To each his own. Just wanted to correct some misconceptions. Perfect firearms are indeed rare. I'm a collectors nemesis as I habitually make modifications to every firearm I acquire. Even the "OLD" winnies.:twisted: Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse before I get to it.
Don't suppose you'll need a recoil pad on that .475GNR do you?
Pepe Ray

6pt-sika
09-07-2007, 11:59 PM
6pt-sika,

Don't suppose you'll need a recoil pad on that .475GNR do you?
Pepe Ray

Well if I ever get around to getting a rifle for Reeder to make a 475GNR out of it will already have a recoil pad .

I have a 450 Alaskan on the way , already own a 375 H&H MAG and a 416 REM MAG . As well as numorouse 45-70's 450 Marlin's and 444 Marlin's .

Recoil is your friend , LOL's [smilie=1:

I want that 475GNR , but I also would like a 50 Alaskan as well .

Incidently I ordered a 50-90 Sharps from Shiloh in february and hopefully I will ahve it in hand by july of 2008 . That one may need a slip on pad , hahahahaha !!!!!

I believe the worst I ever got thumped was by a Remington SP-10 I had about 20 years ago . They started making them in 1987 I believe and I had to have one shortly there after for turkey hunting . Well I took the SOB out to sight it in at 20 , 30 and 40 yards . Got to the club and set a box up at 20 yards , sat down on the ground with my back against a pole and touched her off . I have a tendency to stock crawl and I normally shoot a shotgun with my thumb right beside my nose .
Well at the pull of the trigger I saw stars and tears came to my eyes . I imstantly put my hand to my nose and it was wet . I wouldn't look at my hand because I was sure it was blood . So I stomped around for a few minutes pissed off at the world . Then I finally felt my nose again which was still wet and then looked at my hand . Imagine this , I had not broken my nose , but I had literally knocked the snot out of it :roll:

Needless to say after that when ever I shot that gun I ALWAYS made sure my nose was not near my thumb .

Bear in mind I shot 10's of thousands of rounds at skeet and trap targets at that time in my life and it was just a natural thing for me to be up on the stock like that . But buddy when you are sitting down shooting a 10 gauge with 2 1/4 ounces of shot that is a definite NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockrat
09-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey 6pt. , get one of the new XLR Marlins in 45-70 and scrounge up about another $300 for the conversion and you will have your 50AK. Course, then you need moulds, dies, ect, more moulds[smilie=1: . How I got my 50AK. Course, in the rebore, they had to cut the barrel down to 22" as the bore was going to intercept the screw holes for the front sight. I also epoxied the front sight base on as I figured the recoil would take the sight off in the 50AK. Also was a recommendation by the shop that did the rebore.

6pt-sika
09-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey 6pt. , get one of the new XLR Marlins in 45-70 and scrounge up about another $300 for the conversion and you will have your 50AK. Course, then you need moulds, dies, ect, more moulds[smilie=1: . How I got my 50AK. Course, in the rebore, they had to cut the barrel down to 22" as the bore was going to intercept the screw holes for the front sight. I also epoxied the front sight base on as I figured the recoil would take the sight off in the 50AK. Also was a recommendation by the shop that did the rebore.

Nope my 1895XLR will stay a 45-70 :drinks:

I do however have a unfired NIB 1895G for conversion to 50 Alaskan [smilie=1:

jim4065
09-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Double checked my SS 480 Ruger Puma by sliding 10 factory Hornady rounds through the port. It loads slicker than the old 94 Winny takes its 30-30 ammo. My guess is that you had a burr or something at the port. Wish I could afford another one as a back-up - but I hate the idiot switch also (and the Pine Tar finish).

hollow-point
09-16-2007, 02:43 AM
very informative. ithink i will go for the 454. iliked the quote that you ca load it down to 45lc but cant load up to 454 with the lesser one. ihave 92 puma in 45lc and would like abit more power at times w/o going to 45-70 or larger.