PDA

View Full Version : Safe Way to Melt WW

ACrowe25
04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
So today I hit up a few tire shops and talked to some of the guys and came home with a 75 lbs of wheel weights! Obviously need to be sorted. But hopefully half end up with being lead.

But, now the question is melting them down. All I have is a Lee 10lb bottom pour. Should take a good amount of time, but I don't mind doing it. So what is the safest way to go about this? Start from a cold pot?

Another thing I was kinda brainstorming is I have a nice thick stainless pot and a hotplate I use for casting. What about heating up the lead in the pot/bowl to just below melting temp (just under high on my settings actually melts the lead on the hotplate). Figure maybe put it up on medium for 5 minutes or so with 5 lbs and then scoop into the already HOT lee pot? Slowly set it in the pot to melt and continue to make ignots? Or does this seem like a bad idea?

I wear a face shield, welding apron, welding gloves, etc. Just looking for some additional views. Seems I could go with my brainstorm or just start from a cold pot each time... Drain the pot let it cool add and repeat.

Also, starting for the cold pot drives moisture away, that is the theory behind?

Last quest, pure WW should be more then enough for my 45/9mm, no? Or will I need to add something...

What you guys think?

Freightman
04-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Casting pot is a bad idea, I use a 100,000 BTU propane burner and a 6qt cast dutch oven with a lid. Casting pot will leak after you smelt in it , don't ask how I know.I have smelted with charcoal but there is no way to control heat so make sure no zinc W-W get in.
Long sleeves face shield and welding gloves and apron are good.

tryNto
04-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Find an old Stainless pot/pan and use a Coleman stove or a Propane burner.
Don't ruin your Lee Pot.

DLCTEX
04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
It would not ruin you casting pot to smelt in it, but it would certainly get it dirty and need cleaning. Much better to smelt in an open pot with room to stir and add sawdust for flux. You want good access to be able to scrape the bottom and wall to remove dirt and crud. I use a stainless soup ladle for pouring ingots. Goodwill or other thrift stores are good sources of utensils for smelting and casting. A large serving spoon does a good job of scraping and stirring. DO NOT use aluminum for smelting as it is weakened by heat and can give way unexpectedly.

ACrowe25
04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Okay, thanks for the good ideas guys. I'll be on the lookout for something like an old turkey fryer.

sqlbullet
04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
I started out on a Coleman white gas camp stove and a discard cast iron skillet. I quickly moved to a dutch oven and after about 6 months I switched to a camp chef for heat.

Lizard333
04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Just bite the boolit. Get an old propane tank. Cut the top off at the seam and use a turkey fryer to heat it. 75 pounds may seem like a lot, but you can go through that pretty quick if you shoot a lot.

Better to buy once, and buy the right thing.