PDA

View Full Version : Mold storage

Whiterabbit
04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for ideas for mold storage. I can build cabinets with ease, I'll be putting together something nice.

I'd like to make something that can hold in the range of 12 molds or so (less is OK, more is OK), all with handles attached, ready to go.

My thought is something like a set of cubbies 3x3", just slip the molds in, handles stick out a couple inches. Just place on a shelf and they are all ready access. I live in a dry climate though we do have a rainy season. I do keep my molds oiled.

Any other ideas for either refinements or re-designs that would keep all my molds together (I only have 6, and I don't really plan on owning more than 9 or 10), easy access, and with handles? Extra spot for original boxes, maybe spares like wood handles, screws, etc would be great too.

shooter93
04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
One idea, could be made smaller ofcourse to sit on a shelf.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Both pics/design look like a fine piece of cabinetmaking and definitely a fine setup for keeping/storing molds. Some might say that wood imparts moisture to the molds, but since you oil yours there would be no such problem. Of course a dry(er) climate helps. Any spare room in the final design could also hold a quantity of dessicant/drying agent, but again with molds protected by oil it would be overkill. Places for extra handles, screws, bolts and extra sprue-plates is a good idea too. I use oil or "Clenzoil" to store/protect all of my molds and clean them thoroughly with solvent prior to use; my storage containers are GI ammo boxes actually called "sawboxes"....a somewhat larger version of the 50 cal ammo boxes. Not as elegant/classic as the design shown or what you might have planned, but it gets the job done. Use a wood with an attractive grain and it will be a great project. LLS

04-26-2013, 12:24 AM
hi solved a lot of my storage problems, bought a 4 section blue print cabnet 16 drawers 36" x 24" by 2.750 " deep

PbHurler
04-26-2013, 09:38 AM
I said it before in a similar thread but it bears repeating,

shooter93, that is a beautiful set-up you built!

Suo Gan
04-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I just bought an old metal wall cabinet from an auto parts store that went out of business. It is probably about three feet tall and two feet wide. I think it was used to store bearings in and has seven shelves. I put a Goldenrod in it in the winter as it is stored in the garage. I tried boxes, and ammo cans but never did like that system due to the problem of always having the mold I wanted at the bottom.

Whiterabbit
07-12-2013, 02:57 AM
I'm slow.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=75951&d=1373611554

bottom cubbies I decided to make a smidge higher to hold deep molds, I'll need new faces on the bins. 100% walnut construction, the cab is still unfinished.

It's not perfect by a long shot (by a long shot), but it'll hold 9 handled molds, and the drawers are long enough to hold at least two molds above the handled mold if it's a 2 cav. Since I only have two 6 cavs and the rest of my molds will be 1-cav if I have any choice about it, this should have plenty of capacity for the foreseeable future.

im thinking purpleheart pulls. a simple semicircle or arc.

-------------

shooter, I like your mold cab better. ALOT better. But this was free walnut, I paid nothing for this but my time. an hour here or there over the past couple months. It'll bear fruit eventually.

Any Cal.
07-12-2013, 04:02 AM
Wow, a place to put molds? That seems like a lazy man's way of doing things. I enjoy the search for a mold when I have the time to cast, topped off with a bit more searching for some handles and the other screw...

:-) :biggrin: