PDA

View Full Version : Deer problem!

Freightman
04-23-2013, 12:52 PM
My cousin called yesterday and said Frank the deer are eating all my hey can you do something? No not till October as the season don't open till then. Here is the question for the Texas boys here, is there a permit she can get from the state to thin out a few before the season?

montana_charlie
04-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Fencing, or electric fencing, around the haystack(s).

Fire shotgun blasts are random intervals.

Drape the stack with poultry netting.

Put 'stuff' around the stack that deer won't tolerate. (Google for those substances).

Don't allow 'bucks only' hunting restrictions.

Let hunters on your property when the season is open, and don't charge them fees to hunt.

oneokie
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=crop%20damage%20permits%20texas&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.tpwd.state.tx.us%2Fprivatel ands%2FpermitDepredationHelp.seam%3Bjsessionid%3D8 495CE958CF51505BABC1CE94C272C63%3Fcid%3D31917&ei=BMB2Uf9BzLDRAZqLgUA&usg=AFQjCNG04rQZ7SnnPt7cmRCFu7EvacJxDg&bvm=bv.45512109,d.dmQ

texassako
04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
They may be able to get a depredation permit: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/permits/land/wildlife_management/depredation/index.phtml . I think it would have to be a commercial operation, as in hay is for feeding livestock that will be sold.

runfiverun
04-23-2013, 01:18 PM
and once they run them off, I hope they don't think they will magically re-appear in time for hunting season.
you either have deer or you don't, i'd be more inclined to work on population control.

Freightman
04-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Don't want to run them off I will recomend to her to wait till deer season and I will do my darnedest to help her with her problem[smilie=w: my sons and grand kids will do their part also.

waksupi
04-23-2013, 03:04 PM
If you set some tall corner posts, and take all that old binder twine that you don't know what to do with, you can make a twine fence for very little money. This picture is around one of my garden spots.

dakotashooter2
04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Dogs.................

DLCTEX
04-23-2013, 06:08 PM
If she has enough acres she can get MLD, managed land deer, permits. It requires enough acres, not sure how many, but more than 1 section I think, then the biologist will do a study to justify tags. My nephew gets a hundred and if we use all of them he can get more. These are for antlerless, but there is a program to allow management bucks to be taken.

pipehand
04-23-2013, 06:21 PM
If you set some tall corner posts, and take all that old binder twine that you don't know what to do with, you can make a twine fence for very little money. This picture is around one of my garden spots.

Somehow I can't imagine doing that with the 5 acres I planted for a garden. I planted that much, hoping they could not possibly eat it all, and it would train them to stay close to the freezer.

x101airborne
04-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Depredation permit is the legal way.
A suppressed rifle is, well, the other way.

RoyEllis
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
You can keep most of them away with old panty hose & a bunch of hair (human and dog works best) make small bundles of hair stuffed inside chunks of panty hose & tie them to stakes placed about 50yds apart along the perimeter. Deer smell them & will be spooked, many will shy away and feed elsewhere while a few will come on in. She'll have to replace the "scent bombs" periodically but you can usually get all the hair you want to haul off from barbers and dog grooming shops for free.
As an aside, these "scent bombs" work well for a joke on hunting buddies, a couple hidden near his stand will ensure he has a boring day watching deer avoid his trail area.

Blacksmith
04-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Go to the local zoo and get some large cat manure, lion, tiger, leopard, etc. deposit in the area you don't want deer.

RoyEllis
04-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Go to the local zoo and get some large cat manure, lion, tiger, leopard, etc. deposit in the area you don't want deer.

That would probably work very well, but if ya don't mind...I'll stay outside & watch while you go in to collect........:kidding: I just can't run fast enough any more!

Kull
04-24-2013, 12:15 AM
My neighbor, who recently passed away, fed the deer. So there's this herd that comes through twice a day. Full auto with the airsoft rifle hasn't stopped the twice a day visits, but they don't hang out long like they used to.

Lloyd Smale
04-24-2013, 06:17 AM
weve done crop damage deer shooting for about 10 years now. Buddy and i do it on a local potatoe farm. We shoot about a 100 deer a year on average, only does. Youd think it would effect the hunting and it has but to the good. The Farmer and his two sons hunt the property and they said they see alot more shooter class bucks then they used to. They said they used to see sometimes a hundred does a day and just a couple scrub bucks. Now there ration is closer to 5050 and they see shooter bucks almost daily. Our camp is about 30 miles from the farm and theres not near the deer by camp and our buck doe ratio is all out of wack. I was told I could hunt deer season at the farm too but as long as Dad is still out to camp ill go there. Hes 82 now and his hunting years are comming to a close and i want to spend all the time i can with him at camp. Bottom line is dont think because your shooting does that are bothering your crops your hurting your deer hunting. In fact your probably doing just the oposite and adding more chance of shooting a TROPHY BUCK.

x101airborne
04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Absolute fact, Sixgun.
It is proven that fewer does increases genetics, grows bigger bucks, etc.

41 mag fan
04-24-2013, 05:26 PM
send x101airbourne gas money for his deer slayer...he'll take care of them for you!!

Freightman
04-24-2013, 05:30 PM
I read he was retiring deerslayer ! I have a 89 F250 and my wife said I need a new one I said Why! it still does what I want.

x101airborne
04-24-2013, 10:11 PM
send x101airbourne gas money for his deer slayer...he'll take care of them for you!!

Im not sure the ole girl can stand many more frontal impacts without punching me with the airbag!
But I aint givin her up without a fight.